Five hunters shot dead in Greece

cjhsa

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 06:51 am
Victims of circumstance, or targeted by antis?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6186316.stm

Police said the men, all related, had each been shot at least twice
Police have begun a murder inquiry after five members of one family were shot dead on a hunting trip in Greece.
The bodies of the five young men - two brothers and three cousins - were found in woodland in the Kalyvia region about 280km (175 miles) north-west of Athens.

One victim had tried to raise the alarm by phoning his father but the call was cut off, police said. The father began searching and found the bodies.

Police said the men, aged 17 to 33, had each been shot at least twice.

No motive for the killings has yet been established.

Police have set up roadblocks all the way to the Albanian border, some 200km (125 miles) to the north.

'Revenge'

The five men had set off on Saturday afternoon for a local hunting trip.

Late that evening, they were discovered lying in pools of blood next to their shotguns, in a field near the town of Agrinio.

Police said each was picked off at some distance by a marksman using a hunting rifle before being shot again at close range, probably by more than two gunman.

The body of 17-year-old Alexis Nikolopoulos, whose mobile phone call to his father was cut off before he could speak, was found a short distance from the others.

Speaking to Greece's Alter Television, George Nikolopoulos said he had picked up the phone and heard a noise like a voice, but then nothing else and the line went dead.

"Now, I realise," he said, "that Alexis was probably running for his life."

He said what he wanted was to find those responsible and avenge his son and nephews' deaths.

'Unprecedented act'

Regional police chief Vassilis Tsiatouras said: "This was an unprecedented criminal act; I've never experienced anything like this."

The murders have stunned the rural community and the country at large, says the BBC's Malcolm Brabant in Athens.

With its exceptionally low rate of violent crime, Greece is regarded as one of Europe's safest countries.

Initial reports suggest the family did not have any enemies, our correspondent says.

However, police are investigating whether the multiple murder could be the result of a vendetta or a grudge.

They are also examining the possibility that the young men accidentally stumbled across some criminal activity and, as potential witnesses, were eliminated, our correspondent says.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 861 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 01:23 pm
Maybe they were hunting quail with Dick.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 01:42 pm
Butrflynet,

There are so many ways that your sentence could be interpreted...

None of them leads to a very pretty image.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 09:36 pm
If I posted something about a dying whale beaching itself this thread would have 100's of responses. Sad folks you are...

But just flog me if it makes you feel better... nothing new.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 01:24 am
Re: Five hunters shot dead in Greece
cjhsa wrote:

Greek hunters killed by lone gunman

Quote:
Police investigating Greece's worst murder case in recent years have said they believe a lone gunman killed the five hunters shot dead in Kalyvia, north-west of Athens.
[...]
One relative, Fanis Vlachos, told AFP news agency: "We are almost certain that the boys saw something important, something illegal, and that is why the murderers silenced them forever."

The killings are unusual in Greece which has low levels of violent crime.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 01:49 am
cjhsa wrote:
If I posted something about a dying whale beaching itself this thread would have 100's of responses. Sad folks you are...

Hang on a minute!
It's you who regularly posts totally insensitive (& usually completely senseless) posts to the "whale" thread.

Read Walter's post above for a possible clue to the killings. Maybe you're misreading the reasons for why it happened? Why would you expect a load of responses when none of us could possibly have a clue as to why the killings happened? Confused
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 04:29 am
cjhsa wrote:

You won't like the response I have, so why post it for you to gnaw on?

Has something to do with karma, guns, men and the reverse roles of the hunted and the hunter.

There ya go. Something for you to chew on while you're being flogged. By the way, can I watch? Cool
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:32 am
So, bfn, are you supportive of "reversing" the role of the hunter and hunted? And how do you propose to do that?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:34 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

Greek hunters killed by lone gunman

Quote:
Police investigating Greece's worst murder case in recent years have said they believe a lone gunman killed the five hunters shot dead in Kalyvia, north-west of Athens.
[...]
One relative, Fanis Vlachos, told AFP news agency: "We are almost certain that the boys saw something important, something illegal, and that is why the murderers silenced them forever."

The killings are unusual in Greece which has low levels of violent crime.

Thanks for the update Walter. I'll be very interested in the outcome of this.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:35 am
Hunters hunted by a hunter?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:39 am
cjhsa wrote:
Thanks for the update Walter. I'll be very interested in the outcome of this.

I'm pleased that your interest for European - here: Greek - news could be awaken.

Greek News Online isn't bad at all if you want to get more.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:44 am
We had something similar happen here not long ago. In Wisconsin a Hmong immigrant hunter got in the wrong treestand, some words were exchanged with the rightful owners, and he shot and killed six of them, he even went back to his truck and reloaded.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 06:45 am
Well, it's your thread.

Carry on - I'm out here.
0 Replies