A Question about praying to Mary

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 01:24 pm
InthenameoftheDaddy-OtheLaddy-Oan'aHolySpook . . .

Dominoes, dominoes, who hid the domino-o-oes?

Icanaplaydominoesbetterthanyoucan . . .
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 01:28 pm
my ex-husband loved the expression "Saints Preserve Us"

He said he pictured all these saints wearing chefs aprons and shoving tiny people into jars with vinegar.

all their faces pressed up against the glass like cabbage patch dolls.
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 11:06 am
Chai Tea wrote:

He said he pictured all these saints wearing chefs aprons and shoving tiny people into jars with vinegar.

Is this the same as preists being able to intercede for your and absove all your sins?

Are they then like the saints?

Why do you not pray to God, rather than his creation?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 08:22 pm
rockpie wrote:
praying to Mary is pointless. if you want to pray, just pray to God, or Jesus. simple, direct and more effective.

I'd be willing to bet that it's not 'more effective'. Probably equally effective.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 25 Dec, 2006 08:58 pm
This is a little off topic but one of the most interesting things I've learned on A2K is about Mary's appearace in the Koran. Muslim1 sent me this link about a year ago and I've hung onto it, and shared it with many people since: http://www.islamfortoday.com/galvan03.htm
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 04:54 am
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 03:17 pm
Abid wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

Is this the same as preists being able to intercede for your and absove all your sins?

Are they then like the saints?

Why do you not pray to God, rather than his creation?

um, no.

I think he just thought the image of a saint putting people in a bottle of pickling juice was funny.

I don't think my ex-husband knew any priests.
My present husband doesn't know any priests either, and neither do I.
I mean, to speak to.

We are pretty much a priestless bunch.

I've never personally prayed to any saint.

I couldn't find a picture of people being preserved, but here's a nice photo of preserved cherries, citrus fruit, and some kind of squash.

http://www.brax.nu/alice/album/batluff/IMG_8264.sized.jpg
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 03:20 pm
Oh wait, here's some pickled people...
I'm not sure if that's a saint's hand holding them

http://xs300.xs.to/xs300/06184/weird_smile.jpg
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 04:44 am
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 08:16 am
The point was you quoted my "Saints preserve us" and asked about praying to saints and something about priests.

I was responding with a clarification.
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 08:29 am
Chai Tea wrote:
The point was you quoted my "Saints preserve us" and asked about praying to saints and something about priests.

I was responding with a clarification.

Sorry i didnt know what pickles had to do with the topic so i just ignored it.
0 Replies

rkt10

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 05:33 pm
Okay so I'm a newcomer to this forum altho I post to others. But I think I can contribute to the OP's question.

Here's why I was taught to pray to Mary: Catholics believe that Mary was the Mother of Jesus (who is God). Therefore if Catholics are praying for something they pray to Mary in addition to praying to God.

The purpose of praying to Mary is that she will hear it and speak to her son about our request. The notion is that what son would have his mother ask him something and not, at least, consider agreeing to do what she asks.

There is no worship of Mary involved. In fact Catholicism is very clear that we are not to worship anyone except God Almighty. On the otherhand, the saints are in the presence of God, and are also friends of God. Therefore we pray to them to ask them to help us out.

Hope this helps.
Rita
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 06:38 pm
rkt10 wrote:

The purpose of praying to Mary is that she will hear it and speak to her son about our request. The notion is that what son would have his mother ask him something and not, at least, consider agreeing to do what she asks.

Hi Rita, and welcome to A2K

I know that is the thinking behind it, but when you put it in actual writing (or actually say it), doesn't it make you realize how silly that is?

As if somewhere in the vastness of the cosmos Mary is visiting Jesus at his office, perhaps so he can take her out to lunch. Then she slips into the conversation "Honey, I know you're busy, but there's this lovely woman in Toronto who's be praying to me every day and it seems she's having a problem with HER son who won't go out and get a job, and is experimenting with marijuana and maybe even "harder" drugs.

Couldn't you just take a minute to send a nice girl his way? He's not really a bad boy, he just needs someone he can take care of. You know, give him a sense of responsibility."
0 Replies

anton bonnier

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 01:24 am
I have 3 son's... all married... they ask their wives to ask their mother for favors, this seems to work real well, mum and daughter in laws get on real well in finding out all the weaknesses in the sons... sons get short shift unless it's of benefit to the d/laws or grandchildren.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 02:15 am
rkt10 wrote:
Okay so I'm a newcomer to this forum altho I post to others. But I think I can contribute to the OP's question.

Here's why I was taught to pray to Mary: Catholics believe that Mary was the Mother of Jesus (who is God). Therefore if Catholics are praying for something they pray to Mary in addition to praying to God.

There is no worship of Mary involved. In fact Catholicism is very clear that we are not to worship anyone except God Almighty. On the otherhand, the saints are in the presence of God, and are also friends of God. Therefore we pray to them to ask them to help us out.

Hope this helps.
Rita

Why not pray to God Himself? He is the All-Knowing, All-Hearing and All-Seeing. Mary (pbuh) and Jesus (pbuh) were no more than mortals, Jesus is just like Adam (pbuh) in his creation - made from dust.

If you want your prayers to be answered, you must first get rid of the Trinity and believe that God is indeed only One entity. Not broken up into 1/3's. Pray to Him alone, prayers do not need intermediaries before they reach God. He knows what you desire and the worries you have within you, and no one else does. Not Jesus, not Mary or any other of the Prophets for that matter can help answer your prayers. Maybe that would have worked when they were alive, but not anymore.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:36 am
Raul-7 wrote:
rkt10 wrote:

Hope this helps.
Rita

Why not pray to God Himself? He is the All-Knowing, All-Hearing and All-Seeing. Mary (pbuh) and Jesus (pbuh) were no more than mortals, Jesus is just like Adam (pbuh) in his creation - made from dust.

If you want your prayers to be answered, you must first get rid of the Trinity and believe that God is indeed only One entity. Not broken up into 1/3's. Pray to Him alone, prayers do not need intermediaries before they reach God. He knows what you desire and the worries you have within you, and no one else does. Not Jesus, not Mary or any other of the Prophets for that matter can help answer your prayers. Maybe that would have worked when they were alive, but not anymore.

Basically, you're saying that Christianity is false.

I wish we could be a Christian vs. Muslim thread going. I'd like to hear each of your objections to each other's religion.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 02:00 pm
anton bonnier wrote:
I have 3 son's... all married... they ask their wives to ask their mother for favors, this seems to work real well, mum and daughter in laws get on real well in finding out all the weaknesses in the sons... sons get short shift unless it's of benefit to the d/laws or grandchildren.

so, you think Mary actually sits down with Jesus and goes through the several billion prayer requests that come in each day, and calls special ones to his attention?

I could never get behind that trinity thing. God is God.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 07:45 pm
Chai wrote:

So you don't believe that Jesus is god, or an 'arm' of god.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 7 Jan, 2007 08:42 pm
maporsche wrote:
Chai wrote:

So you don't believe that Jesus is god, or an 'arm' of god.

I don't chew my cabbage twice.

I don't think what I said can be misinterpreted.
0 Replies