Is it possible to call mobile phones in Australia from USA?

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 04:22 am
Last year I tried calling my sister's mobile phone in Australia from USA, using my pc phone in San Francisco , without success.

Her mobile phone is one of those Australian companies in Perth.

Can anybody please tell me if this is possible at all?

If yes, is there a cheap way to call mobile phone in Australia from USA? Skype?

Please enlighten .

Thanks a million.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 28,182 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 04:40 am
It should be possible to call Aust from US. My daughter was in sweden lat year and we got calls from her and were able to call her mobile. Actually come to think of it she always called our home.

What network is your sister with Optus, Telstra or another provider?

Here ya go cobber!

When calling overseas from the United States to your Australia cellular phone, callers will need to dial 011 followed by the country code 61 and then your Australia cell phone number, omitting the first 0. private phone service provider

Phone cards seem to be the cheapest way.

Here is a site offering pre paid cards for 20.6 cents per minute. I am not making a reccomendation or indorsing this company in any way just using it as an example.

idphonecard.com
studentguru

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 08:13 am
Sources of cheap phone cards
dadpad,

Thank you very much for responding. You are the best Smile

I am going to find out what her phone service provider is. I don't know it yet. I wonder if that makes a difference.

I have no problem calling her home phone number and office phone number. But calling the mobile phone never works.

I wonder if there is a special digit or digits that need to be placed somewhere in the phone number while dialing.

Thank you very much for the phone card provider suggestion.

I have found phone cards minutes cheapest on sale in the local Chinatown.

I think about 5 US cents a minute.

Ask your daughter to go to her local Chinatown or Indian town or ethnic town and look for such phone cards.

The ethnic groups have a lot of need to make overseas phone calls and they give the best deals on phone cards to call overseas.

When I get a phone card, what I do is I use computer (e.g. skype softwre) to make free calls to a US area code connection number. Then it asks me for the pin number on the phone card, then I dial 0116189.... (Perth, Australia, home or office number) and I am all set.
0 Replies

studentguru

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 08:19 am
I am sorry if I did not make it clear enough.

If your daughter is in Sweden, I think she can use her computer and skype software or similar software to call a free local number in Sweden , then a voice will ask her to punch in the pin number on the phone card she got from an ethnic town.

I am extrapolating what works in USA to what might work in Sweden.
0 Replies

studentguru

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 08:44 am
dadpad ,

You are right, and your information is confirmed by this post at http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=5612

I finally made connection. But my sister could hardly hear me. And it seems to cost me $0.30 a minute using my usually $.05 a minute phone card.

Thank you very much.

You are the best Smile
0 Replies

ashimalcookies

Reply Mon 17 May, 2010 06:19 pm
@dadpad,
its doing my head in to get my US phone number to show on the Australian cell when i call ... my cell company said to dial *31# then the number. doesnt work it takes me to a repeating beep beep beep like its an invalid number. i wanted to try your recomendation but i dont know exactly what t o dial. if youd be so kind to step lay it out please? i just want it to show up as my # instead of private my calls go thru with the number itself (WHICH FOR EXAMPLE PURPOSES is- 61422955555) so PLEASE someone tmobile is infurriating me.!
dadpad

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:09 am
@ashimalcookies,
You have not made it cleart which country you are calling from.
Are you in Australia? are you making a call to A US based phone number?
International dialing code from within Australia is 0011. This number gives you access to the Australian international network.
In general, you would dial 0011 + Country Code + Area code + Telephone Number. For example, to call the United States or Canada, (both these countries have a country code of 1) , you would dial 0011 + 1 + Area Code + Tel #.
Assuming the number you gave is a US based cell phone number

0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:20 am
If you need to call a cellular phone in Australia, cell phone numbers use the prefix “4” in place of area codes. e.g. To call an Australian cell phone from the U.S. where the cell phone number is eg 0417328328 drop the first zero.
011 is the international network
61 is the country code for australia
4 is the moblile network and is probably part of the Australian cell number you have been given.

dial 011-61-4-17328328
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 18 May, 2010 04:28 am
Quote:
i just want it to show up as my # instead of private my calls go thru with the number itself (WHICH FOR EXAMPLE PURPOSES is- 61422955555) so PLEASE someone tmobile is infurriating me.!

I do not understand what you are asking in the above passage.
0 Replies

rumy6e1

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 09:56 pm
@studentguru,
To call an aussie mobile phone from a USA landline it is 011-61-4 ???? ???? To text or call an aussie mobile phone from a USA cell phone is + 61-4 ???? ????, make sure you use the plus sign first (it replaces 011). My parents both live in Australia, I text and call them using these methods regularly.
rumy6e1

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2011 10:06 pm
@ashimalcookies,
you need to adjust the privacy settings on your phone so your number displays when calling other phone numbers
0 Replies

sportsgirl50

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2012 04:15 pm
@rumy6e1,
do you use your cell provider to make these calls or go through some other service? I need to make calls to Australia from my cell and am looking for the cheapest rates possible
0 Replies