I have acquired a German Shepherd!

smorgs

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 03:04 pm
We have acquired a German Shepherd.

Does anyone else have one? I have no experience of them - of course I have googled, but can anyone tell me why she won't stay in the bed we bought? She's only 12 weeks, and I understand that everythings new to her... But I thought she would like it - it's comfy, but she just stays at my feet and sleeps.

Her name is Grace btw. She's home bred, and came from good parents, but she is MASSIVE for her age - she was the biggest and boldest of the litter.

What are their temperaments like? Are they good with cats? She seems friendly and curious towards them - but they're giving her a very wide berth!

I'd be grateful for any info and advice.

Thanks everyone

x
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,487 • Replies: 20
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 03:13 pm
Smorgs, a blind friend of mine had a german shepard guide dog. He was an angel (pretty much like my border collie). Cheerish him, as he undoubtedly will you. Both breeds are SO smart. You can actually have a loving SOCIAL relationship with him.
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 03:22 pm
That's what I'm hoping JL. Lost my old dog 7 years ago - he was only a mongrel (or a Manchester Terrier as we say), but he was the best dog in the world, looked like a runt all his life (14), mad for raw carrots and cats, very gentle, but protective, would swim for miles. He was even in an advert for stairlifts! My daughter used to scare potential suiters with the line "whatever you do, don't look into his eyes" as she opened the front door...

Oh, and he didn't like his own farts, he used to whimper and leave the room.

I hope Grace turns out to be a dog like that!

I'm now going to google obedience classes in my area - is it too soon do you think?

x
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:09 pm
Sarahg, the only thing I would say about German Shepherds is that they tend to form very close bonds with one particular person, to the point of possibly becoming a little over protective of them.

This one sounds like she's a little sweetie, and I don't think you'll have a problem if you make an effort to "share" her around with the members of your household and get her used to being with them for good periods of time while you're not around.

If you, and only you, feed her, walk her and generally be in sole control of her, she could end up going down the "protective" route.

My friend had one, years ago, and it was his wife that took on the role as mentioned above, as he used to be away for long hours during the week.

After a few months, the dog (female) began to growl every time he went near his wife. The vet told him roughly what I've mentioned about the possessive thing, and got him to take over the full care of the dog as often as he could.

It sorted the problem, but he was always a bit wary of it.

Try finding the video, or website, of the programme (BBC?) "The Wolf in your living room"

..or just google that phrase on an advanced search....it brings up quite a few interesting sites.

I'm sure you'll be OK and have great fun with your new addition.

Some pics would be great. With or without the wrong date. (insert smiley here)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:28 pm
I had a female shepherd for over six years, till she was stolen. She lived to please, and was only territorial around home.

One caution. Don't let her get bored while you're away. She will suffer extreme guilt after tearing up you home to relieve the tedium. Oh, and you must give her at least the basic commands and training. An unruly German shepherd bears a striking resembelance to a timber wolf.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:33 pm
Your Scottish friend in Manchester (you remember, the nice man that came to your office) speaks German. Perhaps he could ask your new baby about her desires ....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:40 pm
Echo everything said so far. We've got one right now who's a mix of herding breeds -- German shepherd likely among them -- who is extremely intelligent and emotionally deep to a fault. The polar opposite of our lab mix, really.

Can't overemphasize the importance of giving the pup a wide social circle, and let her get comfortable with as many people and animals as possible while she's still young. GSDs are working dogs, and she starts to think that her job is to protect you and/or protect your house, she'll spend the rest of her life doing just that.

As for cats -- as long as she grows up with them and sees them as fellow family members, she'll be all right (as are most dogs). If she grows up with cats in the category of "little preylike critters," she'll treat them like little preylike critters until she runs across a badass tom or queen with fists full of claws.

Enjoy your new pooch. I love herding dogs to death. Wish I could meet her.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 08:56 pm
If your mongrel left the room after farting it could be for two reasons: (1) dogs have a painfully powerful sense of smell, and (2) if he was as smart as my border collie, he might have left out of feelings of shame. Smile
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 01:22 am
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day number 1:

Dog woke me up at 5.30, went into the kitchen and was introduced to the world of dog pooh and wrecked kitchens!!!

How can one small puppy produce so much gwano? I really don't know where to begin cleaning - it's like the puppy had it's own 'dirty protest' during the night. It's walked in it up and down, up and down the kitchen.

I'll take some pics today.

I've had to bath her!

x
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 02:49 am
Do you have any children?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 03:36 am
There is a seven year old in the house.

Why?

x
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 09:05 am
Puppies blow up sometimes. Critters also have a tendence to hold there crap in during stressful situations (such as moving to a home) so that when they finally really let go it's an ungodly mess.

If she's not housetrained at all, you might consider crate training as a tool. It's really not as mean as it sounds (not mean at all, imo, when done properly).

Very good info on crate training here: http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 11:06 am
smorgs wrote:
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Day number 1:

Dog woke me up at 5.30, went into the kitchen and was introduced to the world of dog pooh and wrecked kitchens!!!

How can one small puppy produce so much gwano? I really don't know where to begin cleaning - it's like the puppy had it's own 'dirty protest' during the night. It's walked in it up and down, up and down the kitchen.

I'll take some pics today.

I've had to bath her!

x

You let her get bored. I thought I warned you about this.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 11:09 am
Now I know what to do in order to get smorgs to give ME a bath........
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 11:22 am
Quote:
You let her get bored. I thought I warned you about this.

When am I supposed to sleep, Roger?

x
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 11:27 am
smorgs wrote:
When am I supposed to sleep?

What a question - when the doggie allows it, of course.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 03:10 pm
I strongly recommend crate training which should allow you at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep every night.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 05:54 pm
Well, she's a bit young to hold her pee for that long at the moment. But it'll come soon...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 06:54 pm
Not to be mean but you got what you asked for with the kitchen. Dogs are social pack animals and they want to be with you. And they don't know not to pee and poop in the house. Take that natural drive, the ignorance on where to go and add in a new place and being all alone and you get anxiety. Which means destruction.

Sleeping the first month of a puppy isn't something you get a lot of. It's like a baby. Unless you want pee and poop all over, your best bet is to take the dog out every 3 hours, even at night. I know that's inconvenient but 1) it helps with training and 2) it keeps you from having to deal with a mess. Puppies that young can't hold their bladder, no matter how much they want to. Some puppies develop more quickly but don't be suprised if it takes longer for your puppy to learn.

Crate training is a wonderful tool that will keep your house clean and in tact, train your puppy much faster and help you keep your sanity. There is lots of information out there on crate training. Put the crate in your bedroom with you and if the puppy whines or cries, get up and take it out. If it cries after you take it out and you know it's not pee or poo, put your hand out near the crate so the dog can smell you nearby.

I'd advise against puppy pads. they only confuse the dog. Expect accidents. Don't yell or rub the pups nose in it. If you catch him in the act, simply pick him up and take him outside (yes you will sprinkle pee if you do this).

Puppies are adorable and wonderful and hard work.

Good luck!
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:28 am
Thank you all for your help and advice.

I appreciate it.

Sarah
x
0 Replies