What is the connection?

Chai

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 09:00 am
110a baker street.

Well, it's not our friend Sherlock, and when I googled 110a baker street, I get a Tesco Express Market at 110 baker st in London.....so that's not it....
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 12:28 pm
What is the connection?
Hi, Upandrunning.

The anagram is "Its a wonderful life" by Capra.

Haven't figured out the Baker Street bit yet, but at least we have the clue now.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 08:20 am
Hello Tufdevil, Great! Many thanks.
What do you think of the answer to Baker Street as DangerMouse - he lived in a red pillar box in Baker Street! Okay! oKay! just a thought.
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 04:56 pm
110A Baker Street
Must confess it crossed my mind. I think pillar boxes have numbers. Maybe that one was 110A. Incidentally, is it linked to the anagram? I was wondering whose line of business the question referred to.

If it is linked to the anagram, then are we looking for someone in the film industry or someone in retailing? I did wonder about Jack Cohen of Tesco, but I can't find any reference to him living in Baker Street.
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 07:53 pm
110a Baker Street
Apparently, Dangermouse lived at 221C (The postbox outside Sherlock Holmes's pad).

Keep searching!
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 03:25 am
Good Morning Tufdevil, many thanks for your replies. The whole of the question reads: If Sherlock Holmes lived at 221B then who, in the same basic line of business, lived at 110A? As you said, keep searching.
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 05:09 pm
110A
Evening Upandrunning

Thanks for the full question. I notice that Baker Street is not actually mentioned, so I think we have been wandering up a blind alley.

I searched for 110a detective and immediately came up with Lord Peter Wimsey who carried out his investigations from his home at 110A Piccadilly W1, so I think he's your man.

By the way, have you done the Quizzyheights December quiz yet? I presume you were doing the November quiz when you asked the connections question. I think there will be more all correct entries this month.

Any more questions you want help with?
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 02:04 am
Good Morning Tufdevil, I'll go with Wimsey, many thanks. Quizzy Heights, I am going for F for question 2 but a clue for No.4 would be appreciated.
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 02:50 am
Quizzyheights
One of the earliest TV soap characters. Husband Albert died before the soap began, so she was always a widow. Drank milk stout.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 08:35 am
Hi Tufdevil, I was in a bit of a rush when I replied this morning. Brilliant, with the Wimsey answer and, of course, the fictional character - which I have just checked out! -How did you ever think of it? Good Luck in the Quizzy Heights, and thanks again for your patience. Happy Christmas
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 06:32 pm
Quizzyheights quiz
Hello again, Upandrunning

Happy to help. Glad you could find it. Mind you, that's probably one less chance for me to win the book token. I was thinking of a literary character rather than a TV character, but Google came to the rescue. I usually find that, if you ask Google the right question, it will come back with the answer. The problem is, I don't always know the right question! In last month's quiz, I did think of the Golden Fleece early on - I couldn't think of many mythical treasures (Pandora's box had me trying to find a link relating to Adrian Mole!), but it took me 2 weeks to ask the question "Pandora's Box 1982". When I did it gave me Pat Eddery, the jockey and the penny dropped!

Anyway, if you have any more problems to keep me puzzling til next month's quiz, let me know.

In the meantime, have a great Christmas.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:31 am
One for Tufdevil! By what single name, which is now proverbially applied to any generous patron of the arts, is an ancient Roman politician, diplomat and trusted colleague of Emperor Augustus best-remembered today?

The Roman's name is Maecenas, but what is the proverbially applied name? Does one say 'he is a Maecenas to our cause?'

Any help or clue please.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:38 am
Tufdevil you may like to look at this
http://www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/leisure/superbrain/quiz/
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:50 am
One for Tufdevil
Hi Upandrunning

I think you've already found the answer to this one. I suspect that, like me, you have never referred to someone as a maecenas, but my research suggests that, in certain circles, you might do. So go with that.
Thanks for the link. Going to try it now. Mind you. we've just had the Christmas party this afternoon, so I might find it difficult!
0 Replies