Help and clues would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,670 • Replies: 33
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:23 pm
All I can tell you is that this is going to drive me absofreakingloutely batshit crazy until somebody comes up with an answer.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:36 pm
hmmm..

well first let's consider how few TV shows where around in 1939, let alone childrens shows....

TV in 1939

doing a cursory Google, I'm not even sure there WERE any actual regular shoes...

perhaps you mean a one time show for children that was aired?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:37 pm
Re: What is the connection?
upandrunning wrote:
What connects a TV Western of 2002
A Mythical Treasure of 1982
and a Children's TV series of 1939?

Help and clues would be appreciated.

Was television operating in 1939?????
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:42 pm
apparantly it was even before its infancy, it was a foetus.

According to what I found, the 1939 World Fair had a demonstration of the TV....

before that, someone (I suppose the inventor) manager to get a picture of an object in motion. I'm guessing like a closed circut system.

I think this 1939 worlds fair business is the key to cracking this baby.

What did they show on the TV at that worlds fair?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:47 pm
I,m not that old Chai, you could always ask Try though Question :wink:

Earliest things I remember on TV are the Test Card, Bill & Ben, Andy Pandy, Muffin The Mule, and The Grove family, Sunday night at the London Paladium was a mind blower with the Tiller Girls!

Seriously: I have no idea, you might be able to Google it?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 04:07 pm
OK - I'm hot on the trail

Little Rascals

it seems the 'lil rascals ran from 1927 to 1940something....

that was my first thought when I mused about old time TV, so I'm gonna go with that.

Little Rascals...what the connection to the other 2?

I'll report back @ 18:00 CST.

over....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 04:11 pm
Here's my damn guess so I can maybe quit thinking about this:

Buck Rogers.

Here's my reasoning:

In 2002 there there was a show on TV called "Firefly" that was affectionately described as "Buck Rogers meets Roy Rogers" -- it is classified as bot sci-fi and western.

One of the rarest arcade games is "Buck Rogers - Planet of Zoom". It is listed as #6 in the hardest to find games. It was released in 1982.

The movie serials of Buck Rogers were made in 1939. They were later edited into full length films and re-edited into television shows.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 04:23 pm
buck rogers was from 1950 to 1951

so your damn guess is WRONG!!!

hell, now it's driving me looney..
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 04:26 pm
It doesn't say it was a children's TV series that was broadcast in 1939 it says a TV series OF 1939. The first Buck Rogers shows to run on TV were edited verisions of the 1939 movie serials.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:13 pm
Re: What is the connection?
upandrunning wrote:

boomer, are you smokin' that wacky tabaccy?

read that last line gal.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 06:18 pm
Quote:

Being abled to sit on your arse thinking you are doing something.

Obviously.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:33 am
Good Morning Boomerang, Chai Tea and Mathos. Sorry I haven't joined in the discussion but have been away. I really am stumped on this one. A thought was the mythical treasure of 1982 - something to do with Francis Drake - but cannot get any further. Little Rascals was on TV in the 1930s, but it's the Western that is the bugbear. Thanks again for helping - keep going please.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 05:52 am
Hi people, ERROR! Should read mythological Treasure 1982. Still can't get anywhere on this.
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 02:14 pm
Upandrunning, Chai and Boomer. Time to put you out of your misery (and stop the squabbling). Don't think you'd have got to the answer Stateside. Its a cryptic clue aimed at us Brits.

The children's TV series is "Blue Peter" a long running kid's tv show in the UK
The Mythological Treasure is "Golden Fleece". Jason and the Argonauts went in search of it.
The TV Western is "High Chaparral".

Horses with these names won our premier horse race, the Epsom Derby, in 1939, 1982 and 2002 respectively.

Told you it was aimed at us Brits.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 6 Dec, 2006 03:25 pm
Oh wow, I've seen the Jason and the Argonauts movie, it's on all the time in reruns. That movie is much older than 1982 though, was there a remake?

High Chaparral, was that a remake of the original series, that was pretty old too.
0 Replies

Tufdevil

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 04:30 pm
What is the connection?
No Chai, you're missing the point.

The name of the horse related to the TV series etc. The year was the year that the horse won the Epsom Derby.

Blue Peter has been running for a long time (since the 1960's I think), but wasn't running in 1939. The horse was, though, and it obviously wasn't running for a long time because it won the Derby!

I don't think that Golden Fleece particularly referred to the film, just to the Greek legend. I dare say there have been a few films based on the legend. The horse Golden Fleece won the Derby in 1982.

And I remeber watching High Chaparral years ago. Don't know if they have had reruns, but I daresay there have been on one or other of the satellite channels. The horse High Chaparral won the Derby in 2002.

Easy when you know the answer. It took me nearly a month to work it out though.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 05:33 am
I liked the part in the movie where jason was fighting with all the skeletons.
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:46 am
Hello All, Well done tufdevil. just received the answer and you were correct. Unfortunately, I didn't get it. Thanks for all your efforts.

How about this one? RUFFIAN ALLOCATED WIPERS is an anagram of a very famous film that is almost certain to be televised in the next few weeks AND the surname of its director. What is the film?

Who in the same basic line of business lived at 110 A Baker Street?
0 Replies

upandrunning

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 07:46 am
Hello All, Well done tufdevil. just received the answer and you were correct. Unfortunately, I didn't get it. Thanks for all your efforts.

How about this one? RUFFIAN ALLOCATED WIPERS is an anagram of a very famous film that is almost certain to be televised in the next few weeks AND the surname of its director. What is the film?

Who in the same basic line of business lived at 110 A Baker Street?
0 Replies