IMPORTANT! PLEASE REPLY A.S.A.P!

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 07:55 pm
Ok, for my homework in Biology we had to make a survey and give it to 30 people. So far I have given it to only about 15, so I need another 15 or more. I know that this has absolutely no correlation to writing, but I'm desperate! Could you guys please help me and take my survey? It would be much appreciated.

1. Are you male or female?

2. Do you believe that using animals for test subjects on cosmetic products is good idea?

3. If you knew that a certain product you were using had been tested on animals, would you still use it?

4. If an alternative method of testing were available, would you be in support of that alternative method?

5. Which of the following reasons do you think is the best reason for supporting animal testing?

A). Human studies take too long to determine the effects of chemicals, and animal models allow full-lifetime studies in much less time.

B). Animals suffer less during experiments than human beings would because they have a reduced capacity to remember and anticipate pain.

C). Over 10 times more animals are used by humans for other puposes, such as agriculture, hunting, and pest control, than are used in animal testing.

Note: All of these ?s have yes or no answers, with the exception of #s 1 and 5. The answer to # 1 will either be male or female, and the answer to # 5 will be the letter of the reason that you think is best. When answering, make sure to put the # of the ? b4 your answer.
Example Answer:
1. Female
2. No
3. Yes
4. No
5. C

I would appreciate it if all of you could answer this by Wednesday, the 15th, because the survey is due the next day.
Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,123 • Replies: 29
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 08:11 pm
Why on earth are you putting your homework question in capital letters with an asap after it?

Some people do post here with a real sense of emergency re their lives. How can we see them if everybody posts in capitals and hurry ups over something like homework?? Get a grip. Even consider doing your homework. If you have a specific question on it, post here calmly.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 08:16 pm
1. Female
2. No
3. No
4. Yes
5. None of them
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 08:43 pm
What ossobuco said.

But, I'll answer anyway.

1. female

2. no

3. no

4. depends on the alternative method and what it harms, if anything

5. Which of the following reasons do you think is the best reason for supporting animal testing?

A). If humans wish to benefit from something chemical, they should either test it on themselves or find another method

B). "Animals suffer less" Who says? Is any suffering okay? This answer presupposes that humans are more important than "animals".

C). "Over 10 times more animals are used by humans for other puposes" is a specious argument.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 09:20 pm
1) Male
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) C, no... B! Wait, I wanna change it back to C.

Are we done now? I don't want to be late for 5th period. I already got one detention this week...
0 Replies

booklovr

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:16 pm
Whoa! I'm sincerely sorry that I ever posted this thread. I didn't think that it would generate such a negative response!
I am sorry that I ever had to resort to this. I guess I shouldn't rely on you for anything else, then, because now I know how hostile some people can be when you ask them a simple survey. But thirty people is a lot to find to take a survey in the short amount of time that our Biology teacher alotted to us. There's only fifteen people in our Biology class, so I had to find people outside of the class to take the survey. And believe me, I don't like shoving questions in people's faces, but I needed to catch another fifteen people's attention so that they would take the survey. That's why I did it all in caps lock. It's not that I'm trying to annoy you, but it seems as if I unintentionally have.
And as for the thing about not doing my homework...are you nuts?! I've been stressing like you can't imagine over this project for the past few days! I've hardly gotten any sleep! I'm a straight 'A' student, and I'd appreciate if you didn't address me as if I recieved all 'D's'.
Next time, I'd advise you to think before you decide to hurt another person's feelings.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:32 pm
Quote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf

There once was a shepherd boy who was bored as he sat on the hillside watching the village sheep. To amuse himself he took a great breath and sang out, "Wolf! Wolf! The Wolf is chasing the sheep!"

The villagers came running up the hill to help the boy drive the wolf away. But when they arrived at the top of the hill, they found no wolf. The boy laughed at the sight of their angry faces.

"Don't cry 'wolf', shepherd boy," said the villagers, "when there's no wolf!" They went grumbling back down the hill.

Later, the boy sang out again, "Wolf! Wolf! The wolf is chasing the sheep!" To his naughty delight, he watched the villagers run up the hill to help him drive the wolf away.

When the villagers saw no wolf they sternly said, "Save your frightened song for when there is really something wrong! Don't cry 'wolf' when there is NO wolf!"

But the boy just grinned and watched them go grumbling down the hill once more.

Later, he saw a REAL wolf prowling about his flock. Alarmed, he leaped to his feet and sang out as loudly as he could, "Wolf! Wolf!"

But the villagers thought he was trying to fool them again, and so they didn't come.

At sunset, everyone wondered why the shepherd boy hadn't returned to the village with their sheep. They went up the hill to find the boy. They found him weeping.

"There really was a wolf here! The flock has scattered! I cried out, "Wolf!" Why didn't you come?"

An old man tried to comfort the boy as they walked back to the village.

"We'll help you look for the lost sheep in the morning," he said, putting his arm around the youth, "Nobody believes a liar...even when he is telling the truth!"

Your intentions may not have been to "cry wolf" but that's how the subject header of your posts appears.

I'm sorry that being criticized for doing that has hurt your feelings. Perhaps her intention was to teach you how to better communicate and be heard on an adult message board community.

You got the negative reaction because of the manner you went about asking for the help, not because you asked for help. If you were to try again with a straight forward request without the theatrics next time you need more help with homework, I bet you'd get a much more positive reception.

Congrats on your grades and continuing effort to get a good education.
0 Replies

booklovr

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:35 pm
btw, trying not to get an 'F' in this 150 project seems like a real emergency to me. Maybe not to you, because maybe grades don't matter as much to you. But I want to go to a good college and have a good future, so they matter a lot to me.
Also, I was planning on deleting this thread by tonight. But since you decided to be so rude about it, I might just keep it until tomorrow.
See how it hurts to have someone hurt your feelings for once? Maybe that's an entirely new experience for you.
0 Replies

booklovr

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:38 pm
I'm sorry. But she could have communicated her feelings in a much nicer way.
I'm also sorry for the above posting. I didn't really mean it. Sometimes when someone says something that really hurts you, you tend to reply with words that you didn't really intend to reply with.
Can I call this a truce?
0 Replies

booklovr

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:40 pm
Also, I've never been to a forum before, so if you could educate me more about the principles that would be nice. I thought I knew what I was doing but I guess I didn't, and that's what really offended people.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:41 pm
I agree, and perhaps your reaction will teach her something too. Wink

You need to get some thicker skin though, hon. Especially if you are going to hang out on the internet. The dressing down you got was rather tame.

So, let's call a truce and once you've finished your homework assignment, come on back and let's talk about books. I love 'em too.
0 Replies

booklovr

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:46 pm
I'm sorry. Normally I don't react like that, and I'm not one who's known to be very quick to anger. It's just that the internet is sort of a new experience for me. We just got a new computer and I just started venturing (or, more accurately, stumbling) into the online world.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:48 pm
No problem. We all were new here at some point and had just as awkward a start.

So who are some of your favorite authors and what types of books do you like to read?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:51 pm
1. Male.

2. No.

3. Maybe.

4. Yes.

5. A.

Damn testy bunch around here. (I feel like I've typed that before.)
0 Replies

booklovr

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:52 pm
J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter, quite obviously). She's like my idol. Some people think I'm crazy for it, but oh well. I think you'd have to be crazy to not like her books, frankly.
I like to read fantasy and some sci-fi. The books by Margaret Peterson Haddix are good, if you've ever heard of them.
How 'bout you?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:02 pm
As a kid, I enjoyed mostly mystery and detective stories such as those by Agatha Christie. I also enjoyed the Ann of Green Gables stories by Lucy Maud Montgomery.

These days I enjoy Michael Palmer, John Grisholm and Kyle Mills. For light reading I like Luanne Rice's storytelling style.

So what grade are you in and what college do you want to go to? Have you decided what your major will be?
0 Replies

booklovr

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:05 pm
I am in tenth grade and have not decided upon a college yet. I am planning on looking at colleges this summer.
I have an idea that I would want to major in the writing field, but I'm not sure of the specifics yet. I want to become a writer/editor when I grow up. I might minor in music, because I like to play the piano as well.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:06 pm
Biology class, eh? That's what the survey was for? I remember studying that in highschool. We studied flatworms and got a kick out of how regenerative they were.

I'm rather surprised at the survey questions you were given to ask, especially number 5. None of the answer choices for number 5 related to someone who objected to animal testing. What do you think about that? Think the questions fairly represented all viewpoints on the subject or were they biased toward acceptance of animal testing in some circumstances?
0 Replies

booklovr

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:11 pm
Actually, we chose the subjects ourselves and wrote the surveys ourselves as well. I was going to add a # 6 that asked which of the following reasons do you think is the best reason for opposing animal testing (to not make it appear biased), but my Bio teacher said that I already had enough ?s and that I shouldn't add anymore.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:16 pm
Quote:
I'm a straight 'A' student, and I'd appreciate if you didn't address me as if I recieved all 'D's'.

D students deserve a differnt form of address? Shocked

welcome kiddo keep up the good work.
0 Replies