Camera Quandry

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 06:45 pm
So I'm seeing a very nice guy now who is a wonderful photographer, among other things. Smile

I used to be into photography several years ago, but the hobby kind of fell by the wayside. But my Gentleman Friend has inspired me to take it up again, and I'm now looking to buy a new camera.

Since I'm just easing back into it, I don't want a camera that's too complicated, with too many bells and whistles. I'd just like to get a good, basic digital point and shoot, but one that's reliable.

Gentleman Friend has pointed me in the direction of Canon and Nikon because, as he says, "they are the top sellers for a reason. Totally reliable, great photos -- they have the best optics and electronics."

So I've been doing a little research and I found this Canon Powershot A400 that looks pretty good. (You have to scroll about halfway down the page to find it.) It costs $179.

I also found this little Nikon beauty which is considerably more expensive, but might be even better.

What do you think? Would you pay the extra money for the Nikon? Or do you think the Canon would be fine for my purposes?

I'd really appreciate any input. Christmas is coming up and I don't want my loved ones to have to spend more on me than is absolutely necessary! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 863 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Tico

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 09:27 pm
I no expert by any means, Stray Cat, but I do own a Canon PowerShot A620 and love it. It takes great pictures (meaning: it's really easy to use) as a fully automatic point'n'shoot. But it also has several other modes including manual. Today I was playing around with it ~ taking a shot on automatic, and then the same one on manual -- comparing the two, then looking at the data (f-stops, shutter speed, ISO number etc.). I think I'm finally going to learn something about photography. And when I get really good, this camera allows me to switch lens -- so I can go telephoto or macro-zoom and totally bore all my friends!

And, and, and -- once you download your pictures onto your computer you can have even more fun editing and altering them.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 09:53 pm
I usually use my cell phone camera. The pictures are lousy but I always have it with me.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:35 pm
I also have a Canon A620...great camera.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 05:22 pm
Thank you so much for this info, everybody! I looked up the Canon PowerShot A620 and it looks like a beauty!

I found out you can get one for about $250 on Amazon. That's not bad at all -- only a little more that the A400 I was looking at!

I think I found my camera! Thanks, again! :wink:
0 Replies