Stairs and the urge to run up them

nimh

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:13 am
I think I suffer from a very particular impatience, which pertains chiefly and acutely to walking up stairs.

I cant walk up stairs. Or at least it takes me great self-restraint. Seriously. There is something so uniquely and horribly boring about walkking up stairs that I most always instinctively start running up them instead.

It's definitely not any instinctually sportive inclination, because I am blissfully free of those. In fact, running up just the one flight of stairs has me out of breath.

So what is it?

Just the primal desire for it to be over already?

I guess, you know - our Neanderthaler ancestors didnt have stairs ... ergo, walking up them is a fundamentally unnatural activity for us humans .. which would explain the visceral disinclination to be doing it for too long.

Right? Or is it just me?

Please i need your help write back soon,

N.I. from Mh.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,833 • Replies: 53
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:18 am
Oh, I know!

If not run, at least take several at a time. Those little piddling steps are just so irritating. Teeny step... teeny step... teeny step... ARGHHH!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:19 am
She's right, ya know. The run, rise, and depth were designed for some mythical, average person. We, of course, are not average.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:28 am
There should be a club. For people who cant stand walking up stairs.

Oddly enough, I am not half as exasperated by walking down stairs.

Or perhaps its just that I dont notice running down them because that doesnt get me out of breath.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:32 am
when i was a kid, i'd fly down the stairs, taking 'em two atta time... what was i thinking??
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 11:35 am
I have to take stairs two at a time on the way up...way too boring to take little steps.

I used to work in a place that had a very long, straight staircase with a bannister rail each side, just the right distance apart to lock a hand onto each one and swing (when going downwards, of course).

After a bit of practise, it was possible to actually jump from the top, lock hands in the right place, and swing enough so that every step could be avoided. Great fun!

Had a few accidents whilst trying to get it right, though.

..........AND I was in my twenties at the time.........
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:35 pm
There's a theoretical proportion expected for rise and tread, something like 2x riser height + tread depth = 25. Some of this is coded in some places, for example, as discussed HERE. Whether one follows that or not, the idea is that the higher the riser, the shorter the step tread.

I've designed hundreds of sets of steps, and HATE tiny treads. I prefer treads to be 15" (or so) deep, and depending on circumstances, as deep as 18" - but then I design for outdoors. I want moving on steps to be more like regular walking. Hate having to aim my feet when wandering around a garden, striding and then suddenly having to stop and mince my tootsies. For several groups of those ten inch tread type steps... I'd rather put in a stainless steel slide (!) For a set of nine steps in a relatively confined space inside, it makes sense to do something like 7"/7" - 11" tread, but I don't like it - make the space bigger in the first place. For, say, a tall guy with big feet, it's a real change of pace to have to near tiptoe up a staircase, re fitting foot onto tread.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:41 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I want moving on steps to be more like regular walking. Hate having to aim my feet when wandering around a garden, striding and then suddenly having to stop and mince my tootsies.

There, that's it!!

I'm not very tall but I have a big long stride, and the mincing tootsies part is exactly what I hate.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:44 pm
I'm going to start calling you Mannix.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:45 pm
One of my big gripes is the ill conceived design of some landings and steps as you come out your house's front or back door... say onto a four to eight foot terrace or landing, and then down three tiny treaded steps, just as you are now looking at the yard as a whole. F'n stupid.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:46 pm
You know, I've actually thought about the ergonomics of stairs before, and I've managed to convince myself (being of a naturally impatient disposition) that running up that stairs (in addition to taking them two at a time) is more efficient than muddling up them at walking pace. I always feel like I'm losing all my momentum on every step when I walk -- that if you followed the line my center of gravity took up the stairs, it would pause and settle at each step, so it moves up in a series of awkward bumps. Running, though, I can carry my center of gravity up the stairs in one smooth line, which just seems more efficient.

But, then, I'm always impatient in working against gravity, and even as a backpacking child I would rush up the hills and wait for the rest of the folks at the summit rather than make a measured trip of it. Walking uphill is work, and I'd just as soon get it over with as quickly as possible.

So there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:53 pm
Well, I agree with you, so there... that running staircases actually feels (can feel) better ergonometrically, presuming you don't knock anyone else off balance, sue the city, etc.

Also, Tarzan, er, Ellpus had a point, re the swing of missing the steps entirely...

But given the majority of people walk steps, it would be nice for them to be able to plant their feet on the steps comfortably...
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:57 pm
patiodog wrote:
even as a backpacking child I would rush up the hills and wait for the rest of the folks at the summit rather than make a measured trip of it. Walking uphill is work, and I'd just as soon get it over with as quickly as possible.

Exactly. I am no longer a kid but I would rather run up the steps and collapse gasping at the top then pant-per-step as I slog slowly upwards.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 12:59 pm
http://193.251.82.94/pif-collection/posters/pif_316_mannix.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:00 pm
In our home (a townhouse), we have 4 flights of stairs from the basement to the top floor. I always take them 2 stairs at a time.

When I'm in a commercial building, I only do it if it's not busy.

So, what's your attitude about escalators? Do you walk up them even though their moving? Again, I do, so long nobody's in front of me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 01:02 pm
Yes, I do, walk up or down escalators, depending on how crowded they are.
Hmmm, I like their treads..
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 02:25 pm
Tai Chi wrote:
patiodog wrote:
even as a backpacking child I would rush up the hills and wait for the rest of the folks at the summit rather than make a measured trip of it. Walking uphill is work, and I'd just as soon get it over with as quickly as possible.

Exactly. I am no longer a kid but I would rather run up the steps and collapse gasping at the top then pant-per-step as I slog slowly upwards.

I agree. Stairs and hills are for racing up.

There is a really steep hill that makes its way up to the golf course, must be a couple of hundred yards at about a 1 in 3 incline, and is at the very beginning of my morning dog walk.
Each day, I try to get up there as quickly as possible, and end up out of puff, heart pounding, only to find a totally unimpressed greyhound sitting there waiting for me.

It's a great way to start the day, as I can then stroll as fast or as slow as I like, knowing that I've done my morning aerobics.

One day though, I'll beat that smug mutt. One day...
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 03:31 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
One day though, I'll beat that smug mutt. One day...

A greyhound? I don't want to burst your bubble LordE but...probably not. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 03:37 pm
One of my favorite things on a2k is a video of Lord E's dog running...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 03:41 pm
There y'go, Osso......

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-1766299004594978346

I went greyhound racing just the other night in fact. They gave me a two hundred yard start, but still beat me!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Stairs and the urge to run up them
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 12:47:13