still love it..
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 03:45 pm
She never walks up stairs, either.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 03:49 pm
My corgi is an older fellow now with various debilities, so it's lucky I don't have a flight of stairs anymore. But, when he did do a set of stairs, he'd gather his gumption and do it all at once in a sort-of-run, going up, that is; going down he was more plop, plop, plop..
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 03:52 pm
My old dog, when he got to sixteen, had to be carried up the stairs, so he could be placed onto the bed that he wasn't allowed on.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 03:53 pm
I was climbing the stairs at work today and tripped over something. Looking down, I discovered Bi Polar Bear playing with a big stick.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 04:10 pm
All of you stair runners and leapers must have good knees. I avoid stairs whenever possible. The cat food dishes are in the basement, it's a great excuse for making everyone else in the family feed the cats.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 04:22 pm
JPB wrote:
All of you stair runners and leapers must have good knees.

Agreed. The way I take the stairs (or if I do) on any given day depends on whether it's a good knee day or a bad knee day. I feel old saying that. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 04:35 pm
patiodog wrote:
Walking uphill is work, and I'd just as soon get it over with as quickly as possible.

Thats it! Thats exactly it.

Anyone who says the marvel is not in getting there but in the road itself, hasnt seen the view from the top.

I had Tarzan stairs somewhere like young Lord Ellpus's.. sometime... also perfected the art of getting down without stepping on a single tread... where oh where was that??
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 04:37 pm
Oh and thanks for ignoring the troll.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 04:41 pm
You don't know who Mannix is... do you nimh?

What is the point of A2K if not to share information?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:24 pm
Greyhounds... huge heart, tiny brain. (No offense, LE. I've got a soft spot for 'em, too, and will probably end up with one or two some day...)

CJ's not troll here......
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:29 pm
patiodog wrote:
Greyhounds... huge heart, tiny brain. (No offense, LE. I've got a soft spot for 'em, too, and will probably end up with one or two some day...)

None taken, PD. I quite agree about the heart and brain. The nicest, sweetest dog I've ever owned, but as thick as puddin'.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:32 pm
My irish setter, rescued in a lumberyard, was the sweetest...

Pacco, on the other hand, is gnarly..

OK, pardon tangent.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:42 pm
We'll wrest it back 'round...

My own brainless dog (her mother was a lab/aussie shepherd cross, dad was a mystery but might have been a sight hound or a pit bull, given the skinny, well-muscled butt) runs everywhere -- up or down stairs, level ground, whatever.

Our new place has hardwood floors on the kitchen, which opens out onto the yard. You throw open the back door in the morning, and she comes barreling down the stairs, slams into the wall on the landing, comes skittering into the kitchen with paws flying out to the side as she rounds the corner of the counter and tries to make the door. Inevitably she goes broadside into the wall by the door before she regains footing on the door mat, which she then hurls into the middle of the kitchen as she hurls herself out the door.

Gargantuan heart, miniscule-to-nonexistent brain. You could swap the grey matter for a butternut squash and not notice the difference.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:45 pm
Oh, for the video...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:47 pm
I'm lazy and gadget challenged. (The more temperate dog learned to get out of the way after getting knocked under the neighboring kitchen table a couple of times.)

(Unfortunately she puts the same manic zeal into protesting any sort of grooming or care. She might be a rabbit/shepherd/rabbit cross, now that I think of it...)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:49 pm
here is a way to curb your desire to run up all steps and staircases .
come to toronto and climb the C.N. tower . not only will you save the money for the elevator but you'll get a good workout and quite possibly cure your design "to run up the stairs" - if at first you don't succed , try again , try again ...
Sky Pod, the Public Observation Deck is located at a dizzying 447 m (1,465 ft.) , so that should give you plenty of opportunity to : step , and step , and step ... and if that's not enough , how about walking down ?
btw i believe there is an annual meet for C.N tower walkers .
hbg

...C.N. TOWER..
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 05:55 pm
for even more fun at the toronto C.N. tower consider some of these activities :

1988 - Two hang gliders fly from the roof of the main pod (1,207 ft / 368 m), landing at Toronto Island Airport, setting a world record.
1989 - Brendan Keenoy of Toronto, sets the world record for the fastest climb of the 1760* steps (vertical height 342 m or 1,122 feet) in 7 minutes and 52 seconds. *Note: The original Tower staircase had 1760 steps until October 1996. When the stairwell is relocated, total stairs increase to 1,776.
1991 - first annual fundraising stair climb for the World Wildlife Fund is held. This along with the stair climb for United Way of Greater Toronto would go on to average over 15,000 climbers and raise over $1.5 million for charity every year.
1992 - a new rappel record is set by the Canadian School of Rescue Training along with the British Royal Marine Commandos who rappelled from the Sky Pod level, 1,465ft (446m).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:12 pm
Experienced power plant hands never walked up the stairs empty handed. Well designed stairs, and the hand rails were the right distance apart for one hand on each. Once you get the rhythm down, you'll never walk them again.

There was no knee strain on the way down, though. Grab up a hand of fly ash, rub it into the gloves for lubrication, put one hand on each rail, kick off and float to the next landing. Your speed was something incredible.

Then there were the verticle ladders. You could hold the top rung with your hands and position the inner edge of your boots on the outside of the ladder. Now, move your (gloved) hands to the outside, gauge the friction, and make the verticle drop. Better than a fire pole, anyday. I remember thinking "What if the welder left a burr on that ladder?"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:52 pm
OK, folks, here's a steps situation -

I got my first period while climbing the Washington Monument on a Girl Scout tour. We could either do the steps or the elevator. It was Spring of '55.. We'd arrived as a group of twelve and thirteen year olds from a parish in Evanston.

I opted for the steps, something like 688.

I made it to about, oh, say 512, and had to head back down.

Took me a while to get back down.

In the meantime the class had ridden the elevator up and down - me, I didn't get to the top.

By the time I got to the bottom, something was very wrong... and so I went to the bathroom.

Apparently, a lot of people were then looking for me..

and I had really messy pants.

Can't remember what I did with them, though I've a faint memory of trying to wash them.. and not what I did after that, just wandering out of the building, looking for the bus. Must have involved toilet paper...

We stayed at a veryyyyy old hotel.
No one counselled me, everybody including me entirely clueless.

The next day, we went to Virgina!!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 11:41:48