The Trees are Talking, is Anyone Listening ?

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 02:33 pm

Mark 11:13 And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not [yet].
Mark 11:14 And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard [it].

In Mark 11:13 -14 One will find a conversation which many in today's world will find quite strange. In these verses, we find Jesus carrying on a conversation with a fig tree. We are aware of this conversation because the verse tells us that "Jesus answered and said unto it."
This then tells us that the fig tree must have said something unto Jesus. And after saying something that is evidently derogatory, Jesus responds by cursing the tree.

So now, three questions;

Should this story be taken literal, or is it allegorical?

Did trees talk in that time and somehow over the ages they have lost that ability?

Has Jesus lost his mind or have the trees been talking and no one has been listening?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,508 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:03 pm
Plenty of crazy people talk to trees, walls, lighposts and their telivisions. This does not imply that these inanimate objects are talking back to them.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:10 pm
Mindonfire wrote:

Did trees talk in that time and somehow over the ages they have lost that ability?

I have an apple tree that mumbles.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:20 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:

Know what'cha mean, Gus. Remember that time I was cutting through your orchard in the swamp? That damn' tree started mumling at me and I was trying to unnerstand it and was urging it to speak up more clearly when that constable came by and ran me in for public intoxication. That's why I've never been back to your home town since, Gus.
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:21 pm
Not only for jesus, every Prophet have a miracles like that.. God sends them and all universe accept them...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 03:22 pm
Quote:
Has Jesus lost his mind.........

Who knows, but his followers definitely have!
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 01:22 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Plenty of crazy people talk to trees, walls, lighposts and their telivisions. This does not imply that these inanimate objects are talking back to them.

Then you are not as learned as you think yourself to be.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 01:25 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:

Tell it to stop giving you those small apples and speak up.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 01:26 pm
kevnmoon wrote:
Not only for jesus, every Prophet have a miracles like that.. God sends them and all universe accept them...

Trees talking are not miracles.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 02:51 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
kevnmoon wrote:

Trees talking are not miracles.

You're right there, brother. I hear 'em all the time. Bushes, too. And random shrubbery along the wayside. Most common thing in the world.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 03:30 pm
Re: The Trees are Talking, is Anyone Listening ?
Mindonfire wrote:

Mark 11:13 And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not [yet].
Mark 11:14 And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard [it].

In Mark 11:13 -14 One will find a conversation which many in today's world will find quite strange. In these verses, we find Jesus carrying on a conversation with a fig tree. We are aware of this conversation because the verse tells us that "Jesus answered and said unto it."
This then tells us that the fig tree must have said something unto Jesus. And after saying something that is evidently derogatory, Jesus responds by cursing the tree.

This tells us that Jesus was heard talking to a fig tree, as if to answer it.

Question:

His disciples heard him talking. Why did they not hear the tree?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 03:44 pm
Quote:

Then from where do we get Fig Newtons? Elves?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 05:27 pm
I never dreamed I would actually give this a serious answer, but . . .

In Mark 11:13-14 it says that Jesus "answered" the tree. It never says that the tree actually said anything. I do not read classical Greek so I can't go the source and tell you what the original of "answered" is, nor what vernacural connotation it might have within the context.

That passage is often quoted not as an example of a talking tree but as an example of Jesus stepping out of character. He does a very vindictive thing. Because the tree will not give Jesus fruit (it's not in season, facrissake), he curses the tree and renders it barren. That is the point of the story, not that a tree said anything.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:01 pm
I take your point, Merry Andrew. The tree not being in season was its statement.

But, we do have figs, so the tree was not cursed forever as the scripture claims, correct? (Or, am I to believe in Keebler Elves?)

AND, to Mindonfire, since god made the seasons, and made the trees to give fuit in a given season, what does it say of Jesus to curse his own creation - if you follow that Jesus is God, or that he would selfishly curse the work of his father?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:04 pm
That explains the Weeping Willow.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:06 pm
Squinney, I read it as meaning that Jesus cursed that one particular tree, not the entire genus of fig trees. Perhaps there was a barren fig tree prominent somewhere near Jerusalem and that inspired the story.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:18 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
Because the tree will not give Jesus fruit (it's not in season, facrissake), he curses the tree and renders it barren.

He cursed the tree? Burn him, he's a witch.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 02:36 pm
Re: The Trees are Talking, is Anyone Listening ?
echi wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:

This tells us that Jesus was heard talking to a fig tree, as if to answer it.

Question:

His disciples heard him talking. Why did they not hear the tree?

They same reason why they did not understand his parables. They were not learned in these skills. That is why they are disciples and he is the teacher

Matthew 13:36 Then Jesus sent the multitude away, and went into the house: and his disciples came unto him, saying, Declare unto us the parable of the tares of the field.

Matthew 15:15 Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 02:38 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
I never dreamed I would actually give this a serious answer, but . . .

In Mark 11:13-14 it says that Jesus "answered" the tree. It never says that the tree actually said anything. I do not read classical Greek so I can't go the source and tell you what the original of "answered" is, nor what vernacural connotation it might have within the context.

That passage is often quoted not as an example of a talking tree but as an example of Jesus stepping out of character. He does a very vindictive thing. Because the tree will not give Jesus fruit (it's not in season, facrissake), he curses the tree and renders it barren. That is the point of the story, not that a tree said anything.

Actually the verse is trying to teach you all that everthing talks. All things are able to speak. Unfortunately, man has lost the ability to hear.
You will also find this in the story of Cain and Abel.

Genesis 4:10 And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 02:43 pm
squinney wrote:
I take your point, Merry Andrew. The tree not being in season was its statement.

But, we do have figs, so the tree was not cursed forever as the scripture claims, correct? (Or, am I to believe in Keebler Elves?)

AND, to Mindonfire, since god made the seasons, and made the trees to give fuit in a given season, what does it say of Jesus to curse his own creation - if you follow that Jesus is God, or that he would selfishly curse the work of his father?

Well, if Jesus was God the Creator. He is a dimension of God, but he is not the GOD
0 Replies