Aussie gov renewed interest in nuclear power.

dadpad

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 12:13 am
In a New Matildaoriginating artical

http://www.newmatilda.com/admin/imageLibrary/images/macken-fk-nuclearcgw3ANm08Tb8.jpg
cartoon courtesy of Fiona Katauskas
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 782 • Replies: 5
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 12:43 am
bm

(Be back later when I have time to read the article.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 01:06 am
Blimey mark
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 02:32 am
The debate on the forum (Link at page bottom) is tidy and appears knowlegable.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 07:41 am
(Taking a break from an extremely convoluted job application here, dadpad, so excuse me in advance if I sound a bit wooly in my response. A bit light headed right now, I'm afraid.)

Hmmm, I was wondering why JH suddenly was talking uranium, uranium, uranium in Washington on that visit. It just seemed to come from nowhere & suddenly he was a man with a mission!

Needless to say, I'm not at all impressed if he set up that "independent" inquiry (which would come to the "right" conclusions about uranium as such a wonderful, clean source of energy for the future) after having done deals through his US contacts already! If Julie Macken is right about Bush & other US business connections & their plans, it just makes me despair about our prime minister. Honestly! Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

This bit (amongst other aspects of the scenario Macken presents) scares the living daylights out of me!:

Transporting radioactive waste back to Oz across land & sea!
As long as we keep selling the stuff we'll have to keep taking back the waste! An endless supply of the stuff.
Where, exactly, in the Australian outback will the final resting place of this waste be?
What are they thinking apart from huge amounts of bucks in their own pockets?

Oh my god, I wish I hadn't read this tonight. It makes me feel quite ill.
That man!
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 09:44 pm
Think about it folks, what else have we got?

Our wool industry has priced itself out of existence, our fruit industry destroyed, our wheat industry - well, nuff said - in fact our rural industries as a whole are now at rock bottom. Ship-building, gone, other industries - going, going, .... Face up to it, kids, uranium's the way to go.

In the short term it's only the Northern Territory and South Australia at risk, and they don't really matter, do they? And no one really lives in the Dead Centre, do they? And later on, when we've built up a decent stockpile of nuclear waste, we will truly be a glowing tribute to man's initiative.

Don't know why you're getting so excited about it all, really I don't!

Shocked
0 Replies