Israeli artillery fire kills 19 in the Gaza strip

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:29 am
http://story.malaysiasun.com/index.php/ct/9/cid/b8de8e630faf3631/id/1bf6f3fd02c2d11a/cs/1/

Quote:
At least 19 Palestinians, including ten children, and 7 women were killed, early Wednesday, by Israeli tanks in the northern Gaza Strip.

Israel's defense minister has ordered a halt to all shelling in Gaza, pending an investigation into the incident.

Palestinian witnesses say artillery shells from Israeli tanks struck seven houses in Beit Hanoun in the pre-dawn hours, Wednesday. Hospital emergency rooms in Gaza City say more than 50 people were wounded in the attack - most of them women and children who were struck by the shells as they slept.

"We pulled out bodies, all women and children, dismembered, without heads or hands," Khaled Abu Saada, a Palestinian ambulance driver who evacuated the wounded to hospitals, told Ynet News.

One of the women standing near the street said she had lost four of her children in the incident.

The ambulance driver who arrived at the scene was also the first to treat the Ghalia family in the Gaza beachfront incident several months ago. He said that all of Beit Hanoun "is busy with only one thing, moving the dead and wounded. All this between puddles of blood, lots of blood and body parts, next to some of the bodies were the schoolbags and sandwiches of children preparing to go to school."

Another witness said that the shelled houses had been completely destroyed.

Several residents assaulted medical teams who arrived at the scene to help, saying that they had taken too long. Two emergency medical personnel were wounded from the assaults.

Witnesses told Ynet the majority of the casualties were killed in their beds. Atef Hamed, 22, told Reuters, "It is the saddest scene and images I have ever seen. We saw legs, we saw heads, we saw hands scattered in the street."

Reuters also reported that the town was filled with cries for help. One man was screaming "Where is my son?". Neighbors did not have the heart to tell him his son was dead.

The incident came just one day after Israeli forces pulled out of Beit Hanoun after operation Autumn Clouds ended. The operation, aimed at reducing Palestinian rocket fire at Israel's south, resulted in the deaths of 63 Palestinians, most of them gunmen.

Ahmad al-Madhoun, a resident of Beit Hanoun told Ynet "We haven't recovered yet, we rush from one mourning tent to the other because of the operation that only ended yesterday and already we have to deal with a new massacre. Difficult images, dead children, injured children with their faces torn. It's unbelievable."

There were difficult images in the town's hospital as well, where mothers cried out as they carried their injured children.

The Arab and Palestinian media are providing broad coverage of the incident, which they are calling 'the Palestinian Qana village', comparing the incident to the Israeli Air Force attack of Qana during the recent war in Lebanon.

Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Dan Halutz appointed Maj. Gen. Meir Kalifi, deputy commander of the Israeli army Ground Forces corps, to head a team of experts who will investigate the incident in Beit Hanoun.

Halutz ordered Maj. Gen. Kalifi to give the matter the utmost priority and present his findings as soon as possible. Maj. Gen. Kalifi also headed the investigation of the Ghalia family incident in June.

Brig. Gen. (res) Danny Kasif, former Israeli army Chief Artillery Commander, spoke with Ynet about the Beit Hanoun incident, saying that "if the shell deviated 500 meters from its target, then it could very well be a mistake. The coordinates of the target must be examined, to see if they were accurate until the deviation."

"We have to remember the reality we are living in, with terror organizations using all means and launching Qassam rockets at Israel, also from populated areas and from homes," a senior military source said.

"We have no interest in hurting a civil population. We are trying to use a very cautious policy and are succeeding with that. Those who are endangering the civil population are the terror organizations," the source added.

Military sources told Ynet that an initial investigation revealed that an Israeli army gunner battery fired 12 missiles at a spot from where Qassams were fired at Ashkelon on Tuesday, as well as a nearby spot from where militants were planning to fire Qassams on Wednesday morning, according to information obtained by Israeli forces.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 833 • Replies: 9
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 09:54 pm
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/IRIN/aec4301b965c07a19c37d07089555437.htm

Quote:
GAZA CITY, 8 November (IRIN) - Palestinians in the northern Gaza Strip town of Beit Hanoun have described finding bodies dismembered by what they said was Israeli artillery fire early this morning, and added that many residents were fleeing the town for fear of further violence.

They told how they have been left without water - and in many cases homes - after the Israeli military occupied the town of 50,000 inhabitants for a week before bombarding it less than 24 hours after withdrawing.

"Right now, the only thing the people of Beit Hanoun need is to live," said Yamen Zaqqout, a 28-year-old computer programmer.

Eighteen Palestinians died in this morning's bombardment, Palestinians said, adding to more than 60 Palestinian deaths during Israel's week-long occupation of Beit Hanoun, which ended on Tuesday. The Israeli government said it was investigating this morning's bombardment.

"Israel has no desire to harm innocent people, but only to defend its citizens. Unfortunately, in the course of battle, regrettable incidents such as that which occurred this morning do happen," said Israel's Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni.

Zaqqout told IRIN of the carnage he found at about 5 a.m. this morning, when most of Beit Hanoun's 50,000 residents were enjoying their first proper night's sleep for a week.

"I found bodies without heads, children's bodies without hands, some without legs. We found a husband, wife and children who were still on their bed - we thought they were still asleep until we tried to wake them up," he said.

"We were all sleeping. We had spent a very bad week during the occupation when we slept about three hours a night but after the Israelis left we felt we could finally sleep, deeply.

"I didn't hear the shelling but my brother woke me and we ran to the street where the shells hit. Some of the buildings they hit had up to 40 members of the same extended family living inside in separate apartments.

Zaqqout also described the conditions during the previous week when he and his family were confined to their home.

"We had enough food - but one of our neighbours spent two days without food until the Israelis said there would be a window of two hours for women only to go out and buy food.

"Another neighbour was pregnant and had to give birth. We spent two hours waiting for the ambulance because it had to get permission to come," he said.

Dr Jamil Suleiman, 42, a paediatrician at Beit Hanoun Hospital, told IRIN that hospital staff had worked day and night during the week-long occupation of the town with little water, electricity and medication.

"We had no water because the Israelis damaged the water supply system, we had no electricity and we had very little medication," he said.

"The Israelis demolished many houses and more than 1,000 people who lost their homes came to the hospital - they needed something to eat and drink because they had nothing.

"Already we had very little food and drink for staff and patients. They slept outside at the back of the hospital and many of them are still there now.

"Two of the injured were mentally-ill residents of Beit Hanoun who did not understand what was going on and were wandering around the streets when they were shot by Israeli snipers."

Dr Jihad Hammad, 39, a professor of political sociology at Al-Aqsa University, said the scenes of demolished houses and ripped-up roads left by the Israeli troops were comparable to the devastation found after an earthquake.

"The whole city is totally damaged - it was like an earthquake. The streets are destroyed - you can't even drive your car," he said.

"Right now you walk around Beit Hanoun and on every corner you find people crying.

"People don't have anywhere to stay and are leaving Beit Hanoun. But many have no options and nowhere to go. At the mosque they are reading the Holy Qur'an.

In a statement, the Israeli military said it believed this morning's artillery fire had been directed at Palestinian rocket launchers some distance from the area where the Palestinian deaths were reported, although its investigation was continuing.

It said its week-long occupation of Beit Hanoun, codenamed Autumn Clouds, was intended to stop Palestinian militants firing rockets at Israeli towns near the Gaza Strip and said troops discovered weapons, arrested militants and made sure humanitarian aid got into the town.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 04:48 pm
Israel is quite easily the most vile state on the earth.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 05:17 pm
Ugh.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 08:35 pm
I'm not ready to call them the most vile state on earth, but I think that they operate without checks in the occupied territories, and it certainly appears that they don't regard Palestinian civilian lives as being worth much of anything. I can't believe this would have gone without comment if it had been perpetrated by any other state.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:04 pm
Yeah.

By the way my "ugh" is to the first two posts and the fact of it, not to stevewonder's statement (though I do agree it's hyperbolic).
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 11:21 am
the thing about the israeli state is the way it FORCES people around the world to 'like it.'

It reminds me of the side kick of the school bully, who used the bully to threaten the other kids.

Take France so people like it some loath it, but France does not bully and coherce people into liking it, it is actually content with the notion that people out there might dislike it, same with nearly all other countries.

If on the other you express a disliking for Israel, then you are attacked for uttering such an opinion by right wing nut jobs, why are we not given the freedom to state our dislike for 'Israel's horse sh*t' 'policies'
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 02:00 pm
I think it's the specter of the holocaust.
0 Replies

stevewonder

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 12:14 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I think it's the specter of the holocaust.

remind why we are never to forget genocide?
Is it not because it should never happen again?
and is that not what Israel is guilty of a genocide?
0 Replies

Grandmaster

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 01:53 am
stevewonder wrote:
Israel is quite easily the most vile state on the earth.

I wonder why no one yet labelled you as "anti-semitic"... Thats what happens to most people if they criticize Israel.

:wink:
0 Replies