Which is trump: Truth or success?

coberst

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 04:01 am
Which is trump: Truth or success?

Without a question, there is no doubt.

Truth is what is, no matter what humans may desire. Truth will, in the end, win out.

When we are dealing with humans, short term success is often divorced from truth. Human will, can be easily manipulated; politicians and business managers have become expert at manipulating human will.

A current glaring example is the Iraq war. If the war was a success, in American terms, few Americans would care about the truth of the matter. Whether the war caused 600,000 or 30,000 dead Iraqis is of little concern. Only when success is not achieved is the truth of the matter in question.

I think that we are always better off, in the long run, if we value truth more than success. Preparing our self to recognize truth is a long, arduous, and many splendored task; it is well worth the effort. Do you agree?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 499 • Replies: 7
No top replies

aidan

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 04:27 am
Yes. But I think it's often very difficult, although maybe not any more difficult than living within a lie or delusion, even if that lie or delusion is perceived as success by those looking on and comes accompanied with all of the trappings of success.

I think this topic is especially apropos given the current news about Rev. Haggard and his situation. I can only guess that he feels some sort of vast relief in having the truth come out - even if he didn't choose for it to happen at this time - he was effectively outed against his will - but it may have saved his life. Apparently he is surrounded by people who are willing to accept and forgive him, unfortunately that's not always the case.

So my question is what do people do when the truth is something that is impossible to accept or align with their perception of who they want to be? I think some truths are so difficult that the person defends him or herself against them as a form of protection, because it might destroy them, depending on their circumstances. Is the truth always beneficial?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:08 am
Aidan says--"Is truth always beneficial?" Is that question pertinent? The truth of global warming is not beneficial. The truth of a burgular in the house is not beneficial, nor that someone has cancer. Knowing the truth is another thing.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:27 am
Laughing That's what I meant: is knowing the truth always beneficial? I know sometimes I feel that I just don't want to know the truth about something either because it would cause irreparable and permanent damage in my feelings toward someone or something that I valued, and/or because it might mean I might have to make a change I'm not ready to make (I'm no good at denial).

Can't knowing the truth sometimes just be too damaging and/or overwhelming- and shouldn't that be taken into account and given some credence?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:37 am
Truth itself will make the judgment. For example, if it is true what science says about global warming, then in 100 years truth will provide the answer? If we should ignore that truth then we and the whole planet will be forced to deal with truth, with reality. We may be successful for a while by ignoring what is true but eventually reality will prevail. But truth is not an easy thing to apprehend. The question is will we make the effort to prepare our self for the arduous task of recognizing truth before it kicks out our teeth.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 02:20 pm
Coberst wrote:
Quote:
The question is will we make the effort to prepare our self for the arduous task of recognizing truth before it kicks out our teeth.

That's a good point.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 01:20 am
aidan wrote:
Can't knowing the truth sometimes just be too damaging and/or overwhelming- and shouldn't that be taken into account and given some credence?

Learning the truth can certainly require some courage, it's true. It's a compelling reason for not forging one's beliefs about something until one has examined all the facts, though of course this is not always (and in fact may rarely be) a conscious option, nor is it ever easy to know what all the available facts are. As with anything else in life, one has to take these things on a case-by-case basis. Still, if we want to minimize the "damage" that you speak of, it would do to remind ourselves of the risk of preliminarily wanting something to be true before we've gotten a chance to verify.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:36 am
Shapless

Well said!
0 Replies