Saddam Sentenced to Death by Hanging

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:52 am
Quote:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/special_packages/iraq/15936508.htm

Well, It finally happened. After a trial that has taken over a year, Saddam Hussein has been convicted of murder, and is sentenced to death by hanging.

What do you think that the fallout will be in Iraq? How do you think that Saddam's execution will affect the American operation in that country?
Will it have any effect on the American elections? Is it a coincidence that the verdict came it only two days before the American elections?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,722 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:02 am
Thank you for posting that, Phoenix. I've been aware of the court's decision for the past hour and more, all the time browsing A2K, and wondering when someone will post a thread on this subject. Never occurred to me that I could have done what you just did. Smile

Anyway, I don't see how Saddam's case could have much of an impact on the coming elections one way or the other. I think it would look ludicrous if the GOP tried to claim any sort of credit for the Iraqui court's decision. Saddam, if anything, is an embarrasment right now. First he was "our" dictator, staunchly fighting the "enemy" -- the Iranians. Then he became a pariah by invading Kuwait and our attitude toward him changed. (I mean, what the hell! The American hostages in Iran had been released. That was sooo last year.) Then when Goergey-boy invaded Iraq, Saddam almost got away. Another embarrasment. It took some Iraqui "snitches" for us to finally locate and arrest him. We should'a nailed him when we bombed his palaces. The trial itself was an embarrasment. If the GOP tries to use Saddam as an example of how well they're handling things in Iraq, they'll fall flat on their faces. Any half-decent spinmeister would use the couple of points I just made to rip the Bush administration apart.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:04 am
Coincidence on the verdict timing? I doubt it.

As for the US election, I'm hoping that most will remember we didn't originall go to Iraq because Saddam was a bad bad man that killed people.

I know. I'm a hopeless optimist when it comes to expecting people to think and be informed before they vote.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:14 am
My concern is that the verdict, and subsequent execution, might be the catalyst that will throw the country into a full blown civil war. If that happens, the American military that are over there, are going to have a job on their hands that they might just not be able to handle.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:16 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
My concern is that the verdict, and subsequent execution, might be the catalyst that will throw the country into a full blown civil war. If that happens, the American military that are over there, are going to have a job on their hands that they might just not be able to handle.
Yes, Yes, I agree.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:19 am
I wasn't getting the feeling there were that many supporters for Saddam any more.

I thought the current flustercuck was due to religious sects viaing for power now that Saddam is gone. Saddam was not religious, to my understanding. The 2000 protestors in Tekrit were likely just relatives, or residents that recieved special treatment from Saddam due to living in his home town.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:26 am
I think that we really need to understand with whom we are dealing. No, Saddam was not religious, but there are a lot of tribal loyalties in Iraq. For years, the minority held sway over the majority. For years, the majority felt helpless, and they were pissed.

Now the majority is running the show. The Sunnis, who under the regime of Saddam had never been known for their benevolence, may see the execution of Saddam as the final "nail in their coffin", in terms of losing power.

So again, as we have to some extent even in this country, a situation of "them and us". The difference is, in the US, only a nutjob would strap explosives to his body, and blow up people. In parts of the middle east, it is considered heroic.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:35 am
It is a sad ending to a very sad story. The bottom line is that hanging Saddam Hussein isn't going to accomplish anything.

As to the whackadoodle leftists who think it is all election time planning, it would help to remember that those who are for the troops (note I said for the troops, not for the war) will read this as a victory and proof that our involvement has been a positive one. For those who are anti-Bush and anti-American, they will read this as a Republican ploy to garner votes; these inciteful individuals will scream that this is a Karl Rove trick to get more people to vote Republican. Republicans/Conservative/Right-leaners will see it as a victory, Democrats/Liberals/Left-leaners will see it as a ploy.

Then too, the timing could backfire against the Republican party and George and company...people will be reminded in excruciating detail once more about how many have given their lives in this war, and that good people, cannot bode well for the Republicans.

When the sun sets today the world will essentially be exactly where it was when the verdict was handed down and nothing will really have changed.

May the good Lord have mercy upon Saddam's soul.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:39 am
Saddam found guilty?[/i] I'm really quite surprised. Has he offered to be hung on prime time US tv 6th November?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:45 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Saddam found guilty?[/i] I'm really quite surprised. Has he offered to be hung on prime time US tv 6th November?

Personally, I would like one of the relatives of some of the people that he tortured and killed to mete out the punishment...........................thier way! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:50 am
Sturgis - It's a victory above all else for those slain by Saddam and for their families.

Some of us can support the troops, know they are doing a good job in a bad situation, and still wonder about the timing of a verdict. What does the politicalization of the Saddam trial verdict have to do with what the troops are accomplishing?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:52 am
First, that this was apparently timed with the American midterm election irks me (even though I think it will have no effect).

I also agree that this will make things worse in Iraq. Already the reaction to this news from Iraqis is split along predictable ethnic lines with Sunnis chanting "we will avenge you Saddam". This is a particularly ugly part of a very big mess.

abc news wrote:

Iraqi Shiites broke into wild celebration on Sunday after Saddam Hussein was sentenced to hang, but his fellow Sunnis paraded through the former dictator's hometown chanting, "We will avenge you Saddam."

Full story
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:33 am
Will it in any way influence the vote here in the states? Not at all. Will it heighten the unrest and civil war in Iraq?Yes without a doubt. Will it increase the danger to our troops in Iraq? Indeed it will.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:34 am
He may be hanged, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be hung.

Wouldn't surprise me if he got sprung, went into hiding, and became a
convenient boogey man ala Bin Laden, to be trotted out whenever the situation called for scaring the **** out of the electorate

On top of that, we'll be cold in our graves before this goes off appeal. It means nothing.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:36 am
I can smell a HUGE war coming on..
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:42 am
Quote:
On top of that, we'll be cold in our graves before this goes off appeal. It means nothing.

bi-I wouldn't swear to it, but I thought that I heard someone on TV say that the appeal has to come within 10 days, the execution in 30.

Quote:
I can smell a HUGE war coming on..

shewolfnm-I am holding my breath. I fear the same thing! Sad
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:44 am
I have CNN on right now and a commentator said there was no time limit on the appeal....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 08:48 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I have CNN on right now and a commentator said there was no time limit on the appeal....

Quote:
Capital and life sentences are automatically appealed. The nine-judge appellate court begins hearing arguments within a month of the sentence, and could deliberate for months or even years. Sentences must be carried out within a month after the final appeal is exhausted.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2006/11/05/MNG4LM6ECK1.DTL&type=politics

I was half right! Smile
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 09:28 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
He may be hanged, but that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be hung.

Wouldn't surprise me if he got sprung, went into hiding, and became a
convenient boogey man ala Bin Laden, to be trotted out whenever the situation called for scaring the **** out of the electorate

hang hung or sprung
Saddam's dung
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 09:47 am
I agree with everyone who has said that, in the final analysis, this is all meaningless. The war and killing will go on, the appeals will drag on, and the incipient civil war in Iraq will just escalate. From what I hear on NPR this morning, they're rioting in Saddam's home town of Tikrit even as we post.
0 Replies