SURVEY: IS the BIBLE RELIABLE?

neologist

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:17 am
It is my belief, to be sure. But I was hoping to have the proposition judged on its own merit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 10:24 am
You've been here long enough to know better than that.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 03:30 pm
neo wrote:
The only difference between the free will that we possess and the free will of the creator is that we are subject to our physical limitations and he is subject to none.

So we all have power to one degree or another.

neo,
The point I am getting at is that you infer a lot more into the name 'he who causes to become' than what is actually in that phrase. Since we and other things have the power 'to cause to become', that name really doesn't mean much.

You are reading free will and lack of physical limitations into the name 'he who causes to become'. You are emphatic about pointing out the fact that the term 'omnipotent' doesn't appear in the bible, yet you infer through your quote of the name "he who causes to become" exactly such a quality that, in fact, isn't there.

How, then, do you come to "free will" and "lacking physical limitations"as qualities of 'having the power to cause'?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 04:17 pm
neologist wrote:
... I was hoping to have the proposition judged on its own merit.

What merit? At root, what is there to the proposition you forward beyond self-proclaimed, self-referential authority? By what legitimate, objective criteria may Christianity, or for that matter any other religio-spritual belief construct, be accorded primacy over any of the others?

Stipulating to the proposition there may and might be a god or gods in no way entails there is or must be any such thing or condition, and in no way validates any presumption of the existence of same, nor does it afford primacy to any deistic concept or mythopaeia drawn therefrom.

We come back, irresolvably, to the conundrum entailed by the presumption there be any such thing as a "Divinely Revealed Truth"; as no "Divinely Revealed Truth" uniformly is recognized and incontravertably, uncontestedly accepted - in that question and dispute exist - is circumstance which by logic terminally invalidates the central proposition.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 05:10 pm
timberlandko wrote:
neologist wrote:
... I was hoping to have the proposition judged on its own merit.

What merit? At root, what is there to the proposition you forward beyond self-proclaimed, self-referential authority? By what legitimate, objective criteria may Christianity, or for that matter any other religio-spritual belief construct, be accorded primacy over any of the others?

LOL! What legitimate, objective criteria was used to give your religion primacy over all the others?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 05:24 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
LOL! What legitimate, objective criteria was used to give your religion primacy over all the others?

Now there's an exquisitely absurd question.
0 Replies