Iowa Real Estate Taxes?

parados

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:56 am
Miller wrote:
Quote:
Many a January in Chicago when temperatures were routinely 20 below?

For sure! I ought to know, as I lived there many a year and during that time I was a faithful rider of the CTA.

By the way, 20 below is -20F, in case you didn't know and that's why many us in Chicago wore long underwear in Chicago.
Razz

I have lived almost my entire life in the northern climes. 20 below is NOT routine. It has never been routine. It is NOT common in Chicago. It is not common in Minnesota. It is not common in Wisconsin. It is not common in North Dakota. It is not common in Montana. It does occur but calling it routine is silly.

The average low in January for Chicago is 18 ABOVE.

There are only 4 days out of the year that Chicago has a record low of 20 below or lower.
Jan 10 -21°F (1982)
Jan 18 -20°F (1994)
Jan 20 -24°F (1985)
Dec 24 -20°F (1983)

http://www.weather.com/weather/climatology/daily/USIL0225?climoMonth=1

You sure you didn't walk uphill to and from school too?

The weather in Iowa is similar to what it is in Chicago. Like it actually is, not the way you seem to misremember it.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:59 am
Agreed, Parados. Miller, I beleive it's much colder in Boston (certainly snowier, during the winter than in Iowa or Chicago.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:59 am
Swimpy wrote:
Miller wrote:
Swimpy wrote:
Miller, you're going to hate Iowa.

One-third of the population of Iowa City is employed by the University of Iowa. Of these ,a high percent are employed as professors, and they seem to be content with life in a small town in Iowa.

By the way, Iowa City is 3 hours from Chicago and this town is one-thousand times more lively than the Boston suburb where I presently live.
:wink:

In case you haven't noticed yet. i live in Iowa. Please stop telling me what it's like here. Thank you.

Then you must know all about those routine -20°F days in January.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 11:34 am
I moved to Chicago from Vt to escape harsh winters and still have four seasons. Winter here lasts three months (not five), spring comes in late March like it's supposed to (not May), and summer arrives in June (just like the calendar says it will. I'm fairly sure the same can be said for most of Iowa.

Miller, I think you will find the winters to be cold, the summers to be hot, spring to be lovely, and fall brisk and beautiful - just like you remember from your days in Chicago.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 11:51 am
parados wrote:
Swimpy wrote:
Miller wrote:
Swimpy wrote:
Miller, you're going to hate Iowa.

One-third of the population of Iowa City is employed by the University of Iowa. Of these ,a high percent are employed as professors, and they seem to be content with life in a small town in Iowa.

By the way, Iowa City is 3 hours from Chicago and this town is one-thousand times more lively than the Boston suburb where I presently live.

In case you haven't noticed yet. i live in Iowa. Please stop telling me what it's like here. Thank you.

Then you must know all about those routine -20°F days in January.

To be sure there have been some. Not routine, though. Parados, we are wasting our breath on Miller. He/she appears to be tone deaf.
0 Replies