Iowa Real Estate Taxes?

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 07:28 am
Please tell me, where the Table is that relates tax levy to tax district?

Thank you in advance.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 07:33 am
Swimpy wrote:
Miller, you said you are from Illinois. It's the same here as it is there.

It's hard to believe that Chicago ( located on Lake Michigan ) has the same type of weather as either Ames ( central Iowa ) or for that matter Iowa City, Iowa.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 07:49 am
Miller wrote:

Thank you in advance.

On the main page of that site.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:18 am
Miller, when you talk about Iowa and weather you're talking about an entire state. Someone from Iowa talking about Chicago would not be talking about lakefront temps vs southwest side vs Ohare temps, they would be talking about Chicagoland temps. Asking about weather in Iowa (an entire state) and then trying to compare it to a portion of Chicagoland is ridiculous. Swimpy is saying that it's in the midwest and has typical midwestern weather, as does Chicago and the rest of Chicagoland.

Swimpy, Miller is a stickler for how she defines 'Chicago'.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:43 am
Actually Chicago would have similar temperature to Ames or Iowa City. The big difference would be lake effect snows in the winter.

The yearly average temp in Chicago is 49, for Iowa it is 48.6

Average temps for Chicago in July are 84-65.. for Cedar Rapids are 85-63

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/Life/weather.html
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dvn/climate/index.php
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 09:30 am
Miller wrote:
Swimpy wrote:
Miller, you said you are from Illinois. It's the same here as it is there.

It's hard to believe that Chicago ( located on Lake Michigan ) has the same type of weather as either Ames ( central Iowa ) or for that matter Iowa City, Iowa.

It would be harder to believe that the weather would be that different. Miller, maybe you're not intending to be pedantic, but that's how you come across.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 10:49 am
JPB wrote:
Miller, when you talk about Iowa and weather you're talking about an entire state. Someone from Iowa talking about Chicago would not be talking about lakefront temps vs southwest side vs Ohare temps, they would be talking about Chicagoland temps. Asking about weather in Iowa (an entire state) and then trying to compare it to a portion of Chicagoland is ridiculous. Swimpy is saying that it's in the midwest and has typical midwestern weather, as does Chicago and the rest of Chicagoland.

Chicago is located on Lake Michigan. As far as Iowa, Iowa City is in far eastern Iowa, while Ames is located more in the center.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 10:56 am
parados wrote:
Actually Chicago would have similar temperature to Ames or Iowa City. The big difference would be lake effect snows in the winter.

The yearly average temp in Chicago is 49, for Iowa it is 48.6

Average temps for Chicago in July are 84-65.. for Cedar Rapids are 85-63

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/Life/weather.html
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dvn/climate/index.php

Interesting comment about July in Chicago being 84-65, since temp peaks in August not July in Chicago. In Boston, where I now live, temp peaks in July, not August.

Average temp in Chicago, 49 F would appear to be low. However, having lived many, many years in the inner City of Chicago and having spent many a January where temps were rountinely -20F before taking into account the wind chill factor ( -50F etc ), a low average of 49 F doesn't adequately describe Chicago, temp.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 10:59 am
JPB wrote:

Of course you're right. I do define the City by the City limits and would never consider any suburb of Chicago as being Chicago.

Why would I? As a native, I know the truth and always avoid falsehoods.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:22 am
Miller, you're going to hate Iowa.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 12:49 pm
Many a January in Chicago when temperatures were routinely 20 below?

Wow... 20 below is uncommon in most of the northern US. It is only the extreme north that gets that cold with any regularity. So much for the lake keeping temperatures moderate in Chicago I guess.

The record for cold at OHare is only 27 below.

It was not a comment about Chicago, it was a link to a site that lists the weather there. Average temp is the average over the entire year. Chicago does get above 50 in the summer.

Your memories don't seem to match up to the historical temperatures recorded since the late 1800s. Iowa will be downright balmy compared to what you think Chicago was. I suppose you don't remember any days over 100 in Chicago either.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 02:22 pm
Swimpy wrote:

I think Swimpy nailed it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 02:28 pm
Miller wrote:

Thank you in advance.

I believe Iowa City is in Johnson County, right?

http://www.johnson-county.com/taxCalc/qry_taxCalc.cfm
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:37 pm
Quote:
Many a January in Chicago when temperatures were routinely 20 below?

For sure! I ought to know, as I lived there many a year and during that time I was a faithful rider of the CTA.

By the way, 20 below is -20F, in case you didn't know and that's why many us in Chicago wore long underwear in Chicago.
Razz
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:38 pm
InfraBlue wrote:
Miller wrote:

Thank you in advance.

I believe Iowa City is in Johnson County, right?

http://www.johnson-county.com/taxCalc/qry_taxCalc.cfm

Thanks for that info, as the tax levy is County specific. What is not clear to me, is why the assessments aren't higher, when the amount of acreage associated with the dwelling is taken into account.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:46 pm
parados wrote:
I suppose you don't remember any days over 100 in Chicago either.

Perhaps you never read the book "Heat Wave, A Social Autopsy of Disaster in Chicago", by Eric KlinenBerg, published in 2002
by the University of Chicago Press.

"On thursday July 13, 1995, Chicagoans awoke to a blistering day in which the temperature would reach 106 degrees. The heat index, which measures how the temperautre actually feels on the body would hit 126 degrees by the time the day was over....And by July 20, over 700 people had perished-more than twice the number that died in the Chicago Fire of 1871, 20 times the number of those struck by Hurricane Andrew in 1992-in the great Chcago heat wave, on the dedliest in American history".

(Jacker cover of Heat Wave")
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:59 pm
Swimpy wrote:

One-third of the population of Iowa City is employed by the University of Iowa. Of these ,a high percent are employed as professors, and they seem to be content with life in a small town in Iowa.

By the way, Iowa City is 3 hours from Chicago and this town is one-thousand times more lively than the Boston suburb where I presently live.
:wink:
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 01:11 am
Miller wrote:

Thanks for that info, as the tax levy is County specific. What is not clear to me, is why the assessments aren't higher, when the amount of acreage associated with the dwelling is taken into account.

Maybe the taxes assessed on property in Iowa is offset by some other source of revenue for the local governments. Do you know if there is a state income tax there?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:34 am
No I don't know, but for sure I'm going to find out. :wink:
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:52 am
Miller wrote:
Swimpy wrote:

One-third of the population of Iowa City is employed by the University of Iowa. Of these ,a high percent are employed as professors, and they seem to be content with life in a small town in Iowa.

By the way, Iowa City is 3 hours from Chicago and this town is one-thousand times more lively than the Boston suburb where I presently live.
:wink:

In case you haven't noticed yet. i live in Iowa. Please stop telling me what it's like here. Thank you.
0 Replies