Iowa Real Estate Taxes?

Miller

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 03:37 pm
I couldn't find a real estate forum, so I posted this thread here.
Does anyone know what the annual real estate taxes are in
the State of Iowa, for instance Iowa City ( $/square foot)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,719 • Replies: 44
No top replies

Miller

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 12:23 pm
No members from Iowa State or University of Iowa on a2K?
Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 12:41 pm
Property taxes are usually a local cost and can vary depending on the type of property and the locale.

City or county websites may have the information if you are looking for exact rates.

Here is a basic primer on Iowa property taxes
http://www.state.ia.us/tax/educate/78573.html
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 02:03 pm
I'm from Iowa but not Iowa City. I don't even know what my property tax rate is. i could find out if you need to know.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 02:06 pm
I do know that we pay property taxes based on the assessed value of the property not on the property size. I pay roughly $1300.00 per year on my property that is valued at roughly $100K. Does that help?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 11:59 am
Swimpy wrote:
I do know that we pay property taxes based on the assessed value of the property not on the property size. I pay roughly $1300.00 per year on my property that is valued at roughly $100K. Does that help?

Yes that helps, but I wanted to know the $/square foot.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 12:01 pm
Swimpy wrote:
I'm from Iowa but not Iowa City. I don't even know what my property tax rate is. i could find out if you need to know.

I'm from Ill not Iowa. Is it true the summers in Iowa are hot, but the winters are cold and very snowy?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 01:12 pm
You're serious?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 01:21 pm
Swimpy wrote:
You're serious?

Yes, why do you ask?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 01:21 pm
It has to be hot there in the Summer, as every house I've looked at on the internet has central AC.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 01:47 pm
Miller, you said you are from Illinois. It's the same here as it is there. I don't know if you're pulling my leg or not.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 02:43 pm
For homes, property tax is based on the value of the house.

A $200,000 house with 3000 sq feet would have the same property tax as a $200,000 house with 1000 square feet across the street.

If you are actually looking at homes, most real estate listings state the property taxes. At least they do here.

Iowa will probably have 10 days over 90 degrees for the year. But if you have ever tried to sleep in 85 degree weather you know why AC is so prevalent.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 06:04 pm
It ain't the heat, parados. It's the humidity.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 06:41 am
parados wrote:

A $200,000 house with 3000 sq feet would have the same property tax as a $200,000 house with 1000 square feet across the street.

If you are actually looking at homes, most real estate listings state the property taxes. At least they do here.

Iowa will probably have 10 days over 90 degrees for the year. But if you have ever tried to sleep in 85 degree weather you know why AC is so prevalent.

I don't know where you're located, but in Iowa, at least based on the info on the internet, none of the properties have the taxes listed. I contacted a broker in Iowa and he sent me an E-mail about the tax structure in Iowa.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 06:42 am
parados wrote:

I have slept in 85 F weather, and didn't find it bad, with fans blowing. When the humdity rises, than the temp becomes important.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 06:44 am
Swimpy wrote:
Miller, you said you are from Illinois. It's the same here as it is there. I don't know if you're pulling my leg or not.

No, I 'm serious about this question.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 06:48 am
Miller wrote:
It has to be hot there in the Summer, as every house I've looked at on the internet has central AC.

I've never lived in a house with central AC, even when I lived in Chicago.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 06:48 am
Ony really could get the idea that you're pulling s.o's leg, Miller.

The Iowa State County Treasurers even have a property tax calculation website online.
(First google result)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 07:17 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

As I mentioned above, I am not pulling anyone's leg and if you think I am, please feel free to delete this thread.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 07:22 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

The Iowa State County Treasurers even have a property tax calculation website online.
(First google result)

It's a little embarassing that a German can find more information about my home state than I could. Embarrassed

Good work, Walter.
0 Replies