An Evolutionary Theory of Right and Wrong

snookered

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:06 pm
Re: Isnt Evolution amazing !!
Chumly wrote:
snookered wrote:
Evolution is a very long term process.
Not so with micro-organisms and perhaps even macro-organisms under dire conditions.
snookered wrote:
Unlikely that a gene would predispose behavior in general.
If so perhaps you'd like to offer an alternate explanation to the basic behavioral differentials in ant colonies.

In man, (some, many, most, all) social circumstances that appear to dictate behavioral patterns have as their roots genetic predispositions.

First, I don't know if there are BASIC behavioral differences in ant colonies. Remember, evolution takes place when there is a need. As far as I know, all ant colonies revolve around the queen. Probably hasn't ever needed to adapt.
Man as in Human or men? Not all men dictate. I've seen many women take control over a man in social settings. Maybe this is evolution in progress. Women are becoming stronger and controlling. This could be one FLAW in evolution. Laughing
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 04:39 pm
As to your first part I don't have time to respond, as to your second part: good humors!
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 05:46 pm
Chumly wrote:
As to your first part I don't have time to respond, as to your second part: good humors!

Well when you have time, I'd be interested in your response. I don't think this was directed to you anyway. Not that it matters.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 08:07 pm
snookered wrote:
First, I don't know if there are BASIC behavioral differences in ant colonies.
I won't pretend I am some sort of evolutionary expert, however depending on your view of "basic" I suggest there are basic behavioral differences between the various classes of ants within a given colony.
snookered wrote:
Remember, evolution takes place when there is a need.
In that you are incorrect as evolution is not purpose driven.
snookered wrote:
As far as I know, all ant colonies revolve around the queen.
Sure, until the winged ants and the new nest building.
snookered wrote:
Probably hasn't ever needed to adapt.
Nope, ants have adapted and changed over the millennia.

For more definitive answers to your questions ask farmerman here
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 09:24 pm
The Evolution Theory right or wrong?
Chumly wrote:
snookered wrote:
First, I don't know if there are BASIC behavioral differences in ant colonies.
I won't pretend I am some sort of evolutionary expert, however depending on your view of "basic" I suggest there are basic behavioral differences between the various classes of ants within a given colony.
snookered wrote:
Remember, evolution takes place when there is a need.
In that you are incorrect as evolution is not purpose driven.
snookered wrote:
As far as I know, all ant colonies revolve around the queen.
Sure, until the winged ants and the new nest building.
snookered wrote:
Probably hasn't ever needed to adapt.
Nope, ants have adapted and changed over the millennia.

For more definitive answers to your questions ask farmerman here

First, BASIC wasn't my word. I believe that ants in a colony have one purpose. That is to protect the queen and the colony. The ants all work together in a masterful effort. Where did you get the information that there are "classes" besides the Queen in a colony? I would be interested in reading it.
Winged ants are a different breed. Like comparing horses to donkeys. But you may be right as far as adapting. Carpenter ants and Termites for example, may have evolved from ants possibly for the need of finding another food source.
If evolution does not happen for a purpose (one of seveal reasons) I wonder what evolution means to you. Are you splitting hairs again?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 10:45 pm
Re: The Evolution Theory right or wrong?
snookered wrote:
First, BASIC wasn't my word.
Yes I used it first as per "basic behavioral differentials in ant colonies" and I stand by the differentiation in specialization of the types of ants found within one given colony. I also understand that the word basic (like most, perhaps all words?) is best used in a relative frame of reference, and not on an absolute basis.

I also understand that neither you nor I created this word and it does not matter overly whom used it first as long as contextually the understanding is congruent.
snookered wrote:
I believe that ants in a colony have one purpose. That is to protect the queen and the colony.
OK you are welcome to believe whatever you wish, I might bring to your attention however that if their sole purpose is to protect the queen and the colony then you have not properly accounted for the winged winged males, and winged females.
snookered wrote:
The ants all work together in a masterful effort. Where did you get the information that there are "classes" besides the Queen in a colony? I would be interested in reading it.
Funny man! First you dispute the existence of any classes, then you try to partially exempt yourself from your own dispute by referring to the queen as a class, but all the while neglecting the winged ants and trying to sustain the original dispute that there are no classes. I don't see the point of this effort on your part.
Quote:
Leaf-cutter ants have powerful jaws which vibrate a thousand times a second to slice off pieces of leaf. Size for size, their bodies are amazingly powerful, able to carry pieces of leaf that weigh at least 20 times their own body weight - that's the same as a human carrying a one ton load. Like bees, their colonies contain different sorts of workers. Soldier leaf-cutters have huge jaws, strong enough to cut through leather and gardener leaf-cutters work beneath ground and process the pieces of the leaf that the harvesters bring back. The nest also contains a queen and she lays all the eggs needed to keep the colony supplied with new workers.

http://www.bristolzoo.org.uk/learning/animals/invertebrates/ant

Quote:
Ants are social insects that belong to the same order as the wasps and bees. They are of particular interest because of their highly organized colonies or nests which sometimes consist of millions of individuals. Individuals are divided into infertile female workers and fertile males (drones) and females (queens).

Leafcutter ants (Atta and Acromyrmex) feed exclusively on a special fungus that lives only within their colonies. They continually collect leaves which they cut into tiny pieces for the fungus to grow on. These ants have several differently sized castes especially for cutting up the pieces they are supplied with into even smaller pieces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant
Quote:

http://journal.davidbyrne.com/2005/11/last_night_i_wa.html
snookered wrote:
Winged ants are a different breed. Like comparing horses to donkeys.
Not so have a look here How Does An Ant Colony Start?
snookered wrote:
If evolution does not happen for a purpose (one of several reasons) I wonder what evolution means to you. Are you splitting hairs again?
I'm not splitting hairs, not this time nor any other, and you'll find out more about evolution if hang around. You need to differentiate between evolution having no purpose and the reason why evolution takes place. They are not the same thing at all. Purpose and reason cannot be used interchangeably in this context

BTW, if you are still convinced I split hairs, you ain't seen nothing yet and you are going to have your homework cut out for you, as compared to some of the most knowledgeable and incisive posters here on A2K, of which I freely admit I am not one, nice to have met your acquaintance!
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 11:40 pm
Re: The Evolution Theory right or wrong?
Chumly wrote:
snookered wrote:
First, BASIC wasn't my word.
Yes I used it first as per "basic behavioral differentials in ant colonies" and I stand by the differentiation in specialization of the types of ants found within one given colony. I also understand that the word basic (like most, perhaps all words?) is best used in a relative frame of reference, and not on an absolute basis.

I also understand that neither you nor I created this word and it does not matter overly whom used it first as long as contextually the understanding is congruent.
snookered wrote:
I believe that ants in a colony have one purpose. That is to protect the queen and the colony.
OK you are welcome to believe whatever you wish, I might bring to your attention however that if their sole purpose is to protect the queen and the colony then you have not properly accounted for the winged ants.
snookered wrote:
The ants all work together in a masterful effort. Where did you get the information that there are "classes" besides the Queen in a colony? I would be interested in reading it.
Funny man! First you dispute the existence of any classes, then you try to partially exempt yourself from your own dispute by referring to the queen as a class, but all the while neglecting the winged ants and trying to sustain the original dispute that there are no classes. I don't see the point of this effort on your part.
Quote:
Leaf-cutter ants have powerful jaws which vibrate a thousand times a second to slice off pieces of leaf. Size for size, their bodies are amazingly powerful, able to carry pieces of leaf that weigh at least 20 times their own body weight - that's the same as a human carrying a one ton load. Like bees, their colonies contain different sorts of workers. Soldier leaf-cutters have huge jaws, strong enough to cut through leather and gardener leaf-cutters work beneath ground and process the pieces of the leaf that the harvesters bring back. The nest also contains a queen and she lays all the eggs needed to keep the colony supplied with new workers.

http://www.bristolzoo.org.uk/learning/animals/invertebrates/ant

Quote:
Ants are social insects that belong to the same order as the wasps and bees. They are of particular interest because of their highly organized colonies or nests which sometimes consist of millions of individuals. Individuals are divided into infertile female workers and fertile males (drones) and females (queens).

Leafcutter ants (Atta and Acromyrmex) feed exclusively on a special fungus that lives only within their colonies. They continually collect leaves which they cut into tiny pieces for the fungus to grow on. These ants have several differently sized castes especially for cutting up the pieces they are supplied with into even smaller pieces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant
snookered wrote:
Winged ants are a different breed. Like comparing horses to donkeys.
Not so have a look here How Does An Ant Colony Start?
snookered wrote:
If evolution does not happen for a purpose (one of several reasons) I wonder what evolution means to you. Are you splitting hairs again?
I'm not splitting hairs, not this time nor any other, and you'll find out more about evolution if hang around. You need to differentiate between evolution having no purpose and the reason why evolution takes place. They are not the same thing at all. Purpose and reason cannot be used interchangeably in this context

BTW, if you are still convinced I split hairs, you ain't seen nothing yet and you are going to have your homework cut out for you, as compared to some of the most knowledgeable and incisive posters here on A2K, of which I freely admit I am not one, nice to have met your acquaintance!

Well those others who may split hairs may do so but the difference will be that they will have hairs to split.
You know what? You talk in circles and twist words, misquote me. You just don't make sense. You try to sound intelligent. But when all is said and done, you say nothing, unless you quote a reference book. If you don't know the difference between Carpenter ants, Termites as opposed to the ants that we are referring to then I give up.
Again your confused, I'm the one who stated evolution needs a purpose and I've told you what evolution is.
As far as classes, you were talking about within the "working ants", When I said there aren't class in the colony, this is what I meant. I don't need to redeem anything.
Whats this purpose and reason your talking about? Let me explain, the main REASON for evolution is adaptation. The PURPOSE of evolution is adaptation and survival. Is that clear enough for you?
It's been delightful! Shocked
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 11:58 pm
Quite the plethora of logical fallacies and outright inanities you have managed to dig yourself into. However the height of your hubris comes from your repetitive claims that you believe there is a purpose to evolution.

Why don't you expand on exactly what this secret purpose of evolution might be, don't keep me in suspense.

straw man
ad hominem
circular reasoning

While you're at it how about a little more information on your claim that "Winged ants are a different breed. Like comparing horses to donkeys". How did you come to the gem a conclusion?

How your about a little more information on your claim that "ants in a colony have one purpose. That is to protect the queen and the colony." How did you come to this gem a conclusion?

How your about a little more information on your claim that I don't know the difference between carpenter ants and termites. How did you come to this gem a conclusion?

How your about a little more information on your claim that there was a specific type of ant we were referring to. How did you come to this gem a conclusion?

Wait, I found another gem, you claim it's "unlikely that a gene would predispose behavior in general". How did you come to this thunderous conclusion?
0 Replies

snookered

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 11:45 am
We have gone through most of these questions already and have been answered.
You have turned this into an argument not a debate.
In a debate you are suppose to prove me wrong. Not me try to prove myself wrong.
I will no long be involved with you insults and sarcasm.
Goodbye

P.S. How is the Salmon fishing?
0 Replies