Tipping Etiquette

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 11:54 pm
Certainly I don't want to change your social and cultural advantages.

We're obviously more conservatively caught up in the antique Christeo-Judean tradition of serving in a job on the one and the responsibility of an employer on the other side.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 06:38 am
Can I get some ice? Before it melts?

I wonder how often europeans hear that from the "rude Americans".
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:23 am
That was funny. Laughing
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 08:32 am
I wonder who provides better service: a waiter making a shitty hourly wage with no tips, who knows what he's going to make every day, or a waiter who works for tips.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 09:55 am
before it melts......heh.....yeah, good one.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 10:00 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I wonder who provides better service: a waiter making a shitty hourly wage with no tips, who knows what he's going to make every day, or a waiter who works for tips.

I suspect it's the Canajun waiter who has a good hourly wage AND gets good tips.

With the minimum wage likely increasing to $10/hour, and then getting 15 - 20% tips, and having benefits - it can be quite a lucrative line of work.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 10:32 am
cj wrote :
"Can I get some ice? Before it melts?

I wonder how often europeans hear that from the "rude Americans".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
many years ago - when i was still a 'young one' - , i was assigned as a gopher to a scottish actuary at the company's annual meeting .
"another scotch , sir ? " , i asked . he nodded ; "with ice , sir ? " , i asked .
" bloody hell , there is already too much water in it ! " , was his answer .

i have to admit that even after fifty years in canada , i can't quite understand why anyone wants to 'water down' some good liquor with ice - either the scotch or whatever tastes good on its one or it is better used as antifreeze .

cheers !
hbg
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 10:36 am
Scotch with ice?

<shudders>
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 11:35 am
old europe :
you'll have a fight on your hands if you want liquor "without ice" in north-america .
i'm sure you are also aware of the custom of mixing coke or 'ginger-ale' (a canadian favourite) with rye , rum , scotch ... you name it .
i imagine arnold schwarzenegger would call those drinks "girlie drinks" :wink: .
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 11:41 am
Maybe not "girlie drinks." He smokes smaller cigars according to the owner of a cigar-maker in Miami where he buys his monthly supply. I'm sure he donesn't call those "girlie cigars." Wink
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 03:15 pm
No, I don't tip if I am picking up food from a restaurant. I don't believe you'd be expected to.
0 Replies

Jonsey

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 03:19 pm
No, I don't tip if I am picking up food from a restaurant. I don't believe you'd be expected to.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 11:48 am
You could tip yourself, for being nice enough to pickup your own food. Laughing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:34 pm
for a 'scientific' study of tipping go to :..ALL ABOUT TIPPING...
Michael Lynn, associate professor of consumer behavior in Cornell's School of Hotel Administration and one of the world's foremost researchers on tipping behavior and those receiving tips , give advice and state their experiences .
if , after reading the article , you still are a measly tipper , you'll be sent off to study proper "tipology" .
hbg
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:57 pm
Do most people follow the rule I've always heard, that you don't tip the owner? I always wonder, especially when I'm in a hair salon, since that seems to be a place where you're often dealing with the owner.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 03:03 pm
i always tip my barber - i know he's better off than i am (big house by the river) - but it's an old german custom i grew up with . i'm not likely to change now .
hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 03:22 pm
I tip my barber 37.5 percent. It's worth every penny! She's one of the few barbers that ever listens to how I want my haircut. When I ask to leave it on the long side, she does it. When I ask her to cut it a little shorter, she does it. Most barbers cut more than I want them to - even after requesting I want just a "clean up" and long hair.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 03:28 pm
what's a barber?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 03:55 pm
dyslexia wrote:
what's a barber?

That's the person who polishes heads like mine.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 03:57 pm
I think they do shampoos and massages for some of their patrons.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Tipping Etiquette
  3. » Page 18
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 02:07:08