Tipping Etiquette

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 11:06 am
What is the tippping etiquette for picking up your food?

I frequent a little Italian joint that, when handed my receipt after using my debit card, always has a little spot to throw in a tip. Is it customary to give a tip for the privilege of picking up your own food?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,372 • Replies: 388
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 11:11 am
No. Unless the chick at the counter is hot.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 11:12 am
hmm, i never tip if it's pickup, actually never really thought about it until now
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 11:13 am
no tip on a debit card.

if there's a tip jar, i sometimes throw in a buck...
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 11:16 am
Yeah... that has kind of been my feeling on the subject, too.

I notice they always look to see if there is a tip on there though. Doesn't it seem like everyone expects a tip these days?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 11:18 am
Re: Tipping Etiquette
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
What is the tippping etiquette for picking up your food?

I frequent a little Italian joint that, when handed my receipt after using my debit card, always has a little spot to throw in a tip. Is it customary to give a tip for the privilege of picking up your own food?

For carry out, you pick up, a tip is not required.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 11:28 am
jpin wrote:
Doesn't it seem like everyone expects a tip these days?

absolutely...

and, may i add, what an insightful and thought-provoking thread this is!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 11:45 am
They even want a tip for delivering the newspaper.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 12:06 pm
I contribute to the tip jar only if the service has been prompt and cheerful.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 12:10 pm
I refuse to tip at a take out joint.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 12:12 pm
Why would you tip at a take out place? Do you tip at the dry cleaners?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 12:20 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Why would you tip at a take out place?

The only reason I could think of is if the person behind the counter worked for less than min. wage like the waiters/waitresses do. My sister is a waitress and she lives off of her tips. If the person behind the counter was paid the same way, I guess I would consider tipping them. But I'm pretty sure they are paid a higher hourly wage than the servers.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 12:20 pm
Like everyone else, I don't tip for take out.....unless....the person bringing me the food somehow takes an extra step to make something right. Hard to describe what, just that little something extra that they didn't have to do. Even then, I'd only do the tip thing if there was a tip jar there.

I'll also tend to throw coin change in there if I'm paying cash.

Miller...for the newspaper delivery, we always tip our delivery person at Christmas time. It's been the same person for years, and he actually goes out of his way to bring our Sunday paper (the only day we get it) right up to our porch, and leaves it at the front door. Wow.

In fact, if his wife or dtr runs the route for him, they do the same thing.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 12:33 pm
I will tip if it is car carry out service - one in which you drive and park and they bring out your food. And then only a couple of bucks. For any other pick up service $0.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 12:34 pm
Linkat wrote:
I will tip if it is car carry out service - one in which you drive and park and they bring out your food. And then only a couple of bucks. For any other pick up service $0.

Do you still have those in the U.S.? We haven't had those for years up here.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 12:36 pm
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Why would you tip at a take out place?

The only reason I could think of is if the person behind the counter worked for less than min. wage like the waiters/waitresses do. My sister is a waitress and she lives off of her tips. If the person behind the counter was paid the same way, I guess I would consider tipping them. But I'm pretty sure they are paid a higher hourly wage than the servers.

I know what you are saying. But, it really irks me that the owners of these places are making good money and we are subsidizing their employees.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 12:52 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Linkat wrote:

Do you still have those in the U.S.? We haven't had those for years up here.

A few restaurants have started this - you order over the phone - tell them the make and color of your car - drive up and they give you your take out. Great in bad weather, on your drive home from work and/or if you have little kiddies in the car with you.

Outback does this and I believe Applebees and maybe Chilis does this as well.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 01:33 pm
Okay I'll but the system.

I tip at take out and at buffet. Basically I tip well anywhere that I intend to frequent and leave a basic tip anywhere else.

By the way - wait staff in my state are paid minimum wage - $7.50 per hour plus whatever tips they make.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 01:39 pm
You don't need to tip on pickup food or anything else. When we go to a buffet restaurant where we serve ourselves, we leave a $1 tip for the busboys/girls that deliver our drink and pick up our dirty plates. At full service restaurants, we tip 20 percent plus for extra good service.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 04:15 pm
I was in a local coffee house on Saturday with my girls. The young lady who took our order was very friendly and just a little older than my oldest. The bill came to $8.13, I handed her $10 and then .13 in change. She gave me 87-cents back.... Cost her a tip, forcing me to point out her error.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Tipping Etiquette
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:27:25