The Baha'i Faith

aperson

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 02:33 am
I must be very ignorant, for I just found out about this.

The Baha'i Faith (webpage here) believes (in brief) that a man who lived in the 19th century was visited by God, and that God told him to found a religion with certain beliefs. The Baha'is believe that Buddha, Jesus and Muhammad were also visited by God, and that God is founding a series of religions to gradually civilise humankind. According to this, you can be Baha'i AND believe in the teachings of Muhammad AND believe in the teachings of Jesus AND believe in the teachings of Buddha. As far as I know, Baha'i beliefs don't contradict any of these prophets teachings.

This is good news for me - I can get the best of all worlds, that is, if I become Baha'i.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 945 • Replies: 18
No top replies

neologist

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 03:23 am
Yes, my grasshopper; but first you must cleave your screen name and become, at last, a person. :wink:
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 03:42 pm
Never!
0 Replies

kiwimac

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 03:32 pm
Actually aperson, it is a little bit more complicated than that.

The Baha'i faith comes out of Shi'ite Islam and like the Shi'ites it accepts the premise that there are hidden Imams (God-inspired teachers / leaders.)

Around 1844 a man by the name of Ali Muhammad Shirazi declared himself the Bab, which means 'Gate' and, by implication, carries the further meaning of the 'Gate to the Imam.' Shirazi had himself been a follower of Siyyid Kazim i Rashti who had been a followers of Shaykh Ahmad. (Ahmad, in the 1790s, began a religious movement within Shi'a Islam. His followers, who became known as Shaykhís, were expecting the imminent appearance of the Qá'im of the House of Muhammad, also called the Mahdi. )

Shirazi later declared himself to be the Qa'im. He spoke of the one who would follow him, (the Babi's say after a thousand years and the Baha'is say immediately after) whom he called "Him whom God shall make Manifest." Around about 1845 a young man named Mírzá Ḥusayn-`Alí became a disciple of the Bab and following the Bab's execution in 1850 and the imprisonment of Babi's for treason (following an attempt on the Shah's life) he received a revelation declaring him to be "Him whom God shall make Manifest."

Husayn-Ali took for himself the name Baha'u'llah which means "The Glory of God."

I suggest you look here: http://tinyurl.com/y3juo3 for more information.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 01:50 am
Since this rather misinformitive post I have gain much knowledge, thanks and sorry.

AT LONG LAST ANOTHER KIWI!!!
I thought this day would never come!
0 Replies

kiwimac

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 03:34 am
Glad I could help. Very Happy (At least I think that's what I should say...... Confused )
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:20 pm
Everyone around here is from bloody America. So far I've met ONE Aussie but until now, not a single New Zealander.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:23 pm
my godfather lives in NZ....does that count?
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:29 pm
No.

Chai Tea, you are simpy never happy with your avatar or signiture. Change is good, but not too much.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 06:42 pm
aperson wrote:
No.

Chai Tea, you are simpy never happy with your avatar or signiture. Change is good, but not too much.

Me?

Not happy?

I am the happiest of creathures aperson. Never doubt that.

my humor is........um.....different.

so why doesn't my godfather count?

not good enough for you, eh?
0 Replies

kiwimac

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 12:26 am
Now, now!

ChaiTea, I think your godparent counts! Twisted Evil

BTW, your signature line... Whoever wrote "silence of the lambs" never had any as a kid, the bloody things never shut-up! Very Happy
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:25 am
kiwimac wrote:
ChaiTea, I think your godparent counts!

see aperson?

nyah nyah nyah
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:54 pm
Humph! We're so far off and remote; it's like nobody knows anything about us. Just because we don't have nuclear weapons.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 07:25 pm
aperson wrote:
Everyone around here is from bloody America.

Not everyone. In fact, there are numerous rumours about a recent eurogentrification of A2K!

Now, do carry on!
0 Replies

kiwimac

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 04:28 pm
aperson wrote:
Humph! We're so far off and remote; it's like nobody knows anything about us. Just because we don't have nuclear weapons.

We Don't???? Shocked Dang, who knew Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 04:46 pm
aperson wrote:
Everyone around here is from bloody America. So far I've met ONE Aussie but until now, not a single New Zealander.

there's quite a contingent of Australians, a whack of Canajuns, some Brits, a few folks from New Zealand and more Europeans than most Murricans can stand here.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 04:50 pm
ehBeth wrote:
aperson wrote:

there's quite a contingent of Australians, a whack of Canajuns, some Brits, a few folks from New Zealand and more Europeans than most Murricans can stand here.

New Mexico, the only foriegn nation that does not require a visa for US citizens. ( we do watch them closely) canajuns we welcome with open arms.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 04:57 pm
ehBeth wrote:
aperson wrote:

"Well, there are some Brits, but there are lots of Europeans, too...."

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 06:55 pm
I checked out the Baha'i faith many years ago. As a Buddhist who I must say that the Baha'i faith has little in common with Buddhism. It is more closely connected with Unitarian or even Christian faiths.
0 Replies