Let's play NAME THAT NOVEL game.

Debacle

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 12:07 pm
Let's see if this works. First Day, Novel II. Bottom of page, assuming it loads.

Decameron
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 01:03 pm
Bingo!

I typed J-B's passage into Google and got this link:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/3726

That did it for me.

However, I don't recommend this method for finding the answers. [See guidelines on page 1] I could have used it had I wanted. I didn't. That's why I haven't yet won myself a turn!

So, be honest!

Debacle's game is on.

Any guesses, anyone?

Goodnight! Time to sign out.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 05:54 am
Yes yes Debacle is right.

The previous one hasn't been confirmed? oops...I thought it was just ... okay doesn't matter. Now the rules are clear. It seems in the later period I will only have the chance to witness your games Smile Keep going!
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 05:59 am
BTW
Sorry for delaying the confirmation, since getting online on a daily basis still remains a luxury for me. Confused :wink:
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 10:10 am
No problem, J-B.

Debacle's game is on. Any takers?

P.S. Apologies to Raggedy. Hope that doesn't turn you off. To get things back on track, it was necessary to rip you off a turn.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 05:30 pm
As to that, I think it's only right that Raggedyaggie should get to go now, since Moll Flanders by Defoe is the correct answer to the quote from dlowan's ex-con; not to mention the clever Crusoean TGIF quip.

I'm quite happy to wait; mine may be a bit tough going as the quote is from a novel relatively modern, re the other books cited thus far. Someone just may, however, recognize the name Ignatius J. Reilly.

Whatever ...
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 07:15 pm
I think that is right in anyway. I will PM Raggedy right away.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 14 Nov, 2006 10:00 am
Thanks everybody. spidergal pm'd me. I shouldn't have replied to Dlowan's question as I'm really too busy to play this delightful game at this time - but, I couldn't resist. Sorry. Embarrassed

Please continue without me.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 05:41 pm
Well, Charlotte, it appears there's only thee and me left in the runnin'. An Orb Weaver being such a friendly arachnoid, it surely wasn't you who has sent the rest scurrying away.

Leads me to think I'm having another of those dratted call me Ishmael bouts which occur whenever, to paraphrase Melville .... it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every A2K board I join.

Guess it's time I went back to sea.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 02:55 am
DEBACLE SIGHTING!!!!! HURRAH!!!!!

Debacle wrote:
Quote:
A green hunting cap squeezed the top of the fleshy baloon of a head. The green earflaps, full of large ears and uncut hair and the fine bristles that grew in the ears themselves, stuck out on either side like turn signals indicating two directions at once. Full, pursed lips protruded beneath the bushy black moustache and, at their corners, sank into little folds filled with disapproval and potato chip crumbs. In the shadow under the green visor of the cap Ignatius J. Reilly's supercilious blue and yellow eyes looked down upon the other people waiting under the clock at the D.H. Holmes department store, studying the crowd of people for signs of bad taste in dress. Several of the outfits, Ignatius noticed, were new enough and expensive enough to be properly considered offenses against taste and decency. Possession of anything new or expensive only reflected a person's lack of theology and geometry; it could even cast doubts upon one's soul.

Hint: It's a Pulitzer winning novel, awarded posthumously

Confederacy of Dunces?

J-B wrote:
BTW
Sorry for delaying the confirmation, since getting online on a daily basis still remains a luxury for me. Confused :wink:

Oh dear...I am sorry to hear that.

We miss you.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 08:18 am
Who's this Charlotte lady?
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 09:23 am
dlowan, as I fully expected she would, got it. The quote was the opening paragraph of A Confederacy of Dunces by the late John Kennedy Toole. Though not to everyone's taste, it's a rollicking read for those having a certain bent frame of mind. Not really, it's a fun read.

A synopsis is available here: Wikipedia.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 09:35 am
Who is this Charlotte lady?!!! Why, only the kindest, friendliest, and most popular spidergal in all of literature; the beauteous Orb Weaver heroine of E.B. White's Charlotte's Web.

No offence intended, spidergal, and hopefully none is taken; I certainly don't wish to provoke a spider, nor a bunny neither, come to that.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 09:57 am
Oh, I am flattered!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 02:09 pm
Who's turn is it? Bunbun's? Darn her and her Oz time-- I want a new paragraph now! (Not that I'll ever guess one, but I like reading along.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 03:36 pm
cyphercat wrote:
Who's turn is it? Bunbun's? Darn her and her Oz time-- I want a new paragraph now! (Not that I'll ever guess one, but I like reading along.)

Blimey!

"Of late years an abundant shower of curates has fallen upon the North of England: they lie very thick on the hills; every parish has one or more of them; they are young enough to be very active, and ought to be doing a great deal of good. But not of late years are we about to speak. We are going back to the beginning of this century: late years—present years—are dusty, sunburnt, hot, arid. We will evade the noon—forget it in siesta, pass the mid-day in slumber—and dream of dawn......"
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 03:38 pm
Debacle wrote:
Who is this Charlotte lady?!!! Why, only the kindest, friendliest, and most popular spidergal in all of literature; the beauteous Orb Weaver heroine of E.B. White's Charlotte's Web.

No offence intended, spidergal, and hopefully none is taken; I certainly don't wish to provoke a spider, nor a bunny neither, come to that.

Lol!

She has a new film coming out, too.

But...Spidergal is an Australian...a redback.....feared in sheds and dunnies throughout the land!

http://www.amonline.net.au/factSheets/redback.htm

http://www.amonline.net.au/spiders/dangerous/redback/index.htm
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 20 Nov, 2006 04:38 pm
I suspect this site is not working very well.
0 Replies

Debacle

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 05:48 pm
Well, dlowan gave us a quote to consider, and having considered it, I must say it doesn't ring a bell. That's not to say I won't hazard a guess. Afterall, somebody oughta.

Recalling that elsewhere dlowan has revealed a taste for books by Jane Austen, George Eliot and other histerical English lady writers, I think it's possible the quote comes from one of that ilk. And whereas dlowan put forth this quote just after commenting on the name Charlotte, my guess is that that name bears relevancy. Now, there's only one historical English authoress named Charlotte that I'm aware of, that being one of the Bronte brood. And the quote's including "the North of England" gives a further indication that it could be from Charlotte Bronte.

I only know the names of two novels by Charlotte Bronte: Jane Eyre and Shirley. It was a long time ago that I read Jane Eyre, but not so long that I'd be apt to forget a plague of curates. Therefore, by default, I'm guessing the novel is Shirley by Charlotte Bronte, which I've never read, but by gum, there it is and let the divil tak the hindmost.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 21 Nov, 2006 05:52 pm
Debacle wrote:
Well, dlowan gave us a quote to consider, and having considered it, I must say it doesn't ring a bell. That's not to say I won't hazard a guess. Afterall, somebody oughta.

Recalling that elsewhere dlowan has revealed a taste for books by Jane Austen, George Eliot and other histerical English lady writers, I think it's possible the quote comes from one of that ilk. And whereas dlowan put forth this quote just after commenting on the name Charlotte, my guess is that that name bears relevancy. Now, there's only one historical English authoress named Charlotte that I'm aware of, that being one of the Bronte brood. And the quote's including "the North of England" gives a further indication that it could be from Charlotte Bronte.

I only know the names of two novels by Charlotte Bronte: Jane Eyre and Shirley. It was a long time ago that I read Jane Eyre, but not so long that I'd be apt to forget a plague of curates. Therefore, by default, I'm guessing the novel is Shirley by Charlotte Bronte, which I've never read, but by gum, there it is and let the divil tak the hindmost.

Lol! Well guessed....and correct.

Your turn again.
0 Replies