Let's play NAME THAT NOVEL game.

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 01:20 pm
Here are the rules:

1. Post the first few lines/passages of a novel.

2. Other members will make guesses.

3.The one who gets it right will take their turn to post the next one.

Other guidelines:

#Please don't post passages from novels no one has ever heard of. At least, they should be moderately well-known.

#Yes, Google's there, but I consider that to be cheating! So, please..... :wink:

#After three futile attempts, we'll need hints!!

Okay, I kick it off

In the late summer of that year we lived in a house in a village that looked across the
river and the plain to the mountains. In the bed of the river there were pebbles and
boulders, dry and white in the sun, and the water was clear and swiftly moving and blue
in the channels.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,181 • Replies: 103
No top replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 01:22 pm
Hint: Take this game seriously!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 02:27 pm
I'm sensing Hemingway...Ernest Hemingway...BingO!

A Farewell To Arms.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 03:18 pm
Count me in.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 06:03 pm
Definitely Hemingway. Nobody else could **** such short turds.

"It was at Megara, a suburb of Carthage, in the gardens of Hamilcar."
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 07:22 pm
Sturgis, your answer is correct! Your turn. Smile

P.S. Has anyone read the book? What's it like?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:22 am
spidergal wrote:

I read it some 400 years ago and then again a little more recently. Not a bad book and gives some glimpse of Hemingway himself; or, at least how he saw himself in relationship to his involvement with World War-I. Also something of a love story in its own right with that strange Catherine woman. As to Hemingway, I am one of those who has gobbled up all of his work...even have an early 1950s Life Magazine where his The Old Man and the Sea was published.

Okay, enough of my babble...next up...

The schoolmaster was leaving the village, and everybody seemed sorry. The miller at Crescombe lent him the small white tilted cart and horse to carry his goods to the city of his destination, about twenty miles off, such a vehicle proving of quite sufficient size for the departing teacher's effects.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 11:35 am
I haven't read this for sure. Still, I would throw in my guess.

Charles Dickens?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 03:22 pm
Sturgis wrote:
spidergal wrote:

I read it some 400 years ago and then again a little more recently. Not a bad book and gives some glimpse of Hemingway himself; or, at least how he saw himself in relationship to his involvement with World War-I. Also something of a love story in its own right with that strange Catherine woman. As to Hemingway, I am one of those who has gobbled up all of his work...even have an early 1950s Life Magazine where his The Old Man and the Sea was published.

Okay, enough of my babble...next up...

The schoolmaster was leaving the village, and everybody seemed sorry. The miller at Crescombe lent him the small white tilted cart and horse to carry his goods to the city of his destination, about twenty miles off, such a vehicle proving of quite sufficient size for the departing teacher's effects.

Sounds more Hardyesque to me.....
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 06:00 am
dlowan wrote:

Sounds more Hardyesque to me.....

You're on the correct path...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 06:16 am
Lol! I checked a couple of Hradys.

It's "Jude the Obscure."
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 06:22 am
Good going...now ya get to select our next puzzler.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 06:50 am
The Nellie, a cruising yawl, swung to her anchor without a flutter of the sails, and was at rest.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 07:28 am
Conrad. Joseph Conrad. Heart of something or other...or was it Typhoon? No, I'll stick with Heart of Lord Jim's Darkness...er, I mean Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (read it for English in Senior year, never forgot it, in part because I laughed out loud on reading those first sentences. For some reason they were amusing to me back then. The treacherous teacher was not amused and assigned me 3 more Conrad novels.

Heart of Darkness
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 06:45 pm
Where are you Dlowan now?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 06:35 am
Yes, where are yee? We need confirmation or negation of my answer before we can proceed...(bet the bunny is on a carrot hunt).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 02:26 am
Sturgis wrote:
Yes, where are yee? We need confirmation or negation of my answer before we can proceed...(bet the bunny is on a carrot hunt).

Confirmed, smartarse!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:33 am
dlowan wrote:
Sturgis wrote:

Confirmed, smartarse!

Moi?! (let me feign incredible shock at being called a smarta..)

Anywhoooo... next up...

My dearest Barbara Alexievna, How happy I was last night--how immeasurably, how impossibly happy! That was because for once in your life you had relented so far as to obey my wishes.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:30 pm
Poor Folk by Dostoyevsky. I love my Dostoyevsky! (You could probably tell by the way I refer to him as "my" Dostoyevsky)
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 04:54 am
Nice going Stray Cat...
now hows about our next exciting passage?
0 Replies