TEHERAN NIGHT LIFE . . .

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 05:25 pm
The New York Times, 6/13/03 wrote:

NY Times Link[/color]

Your thoughts? If this lead to the fall of the reactionary religious leaders, it would certainly be a plum for Bush and Company. They could, and very likely would, point to it as a positive result of their Iraq adventure. Of course, if it turns into another Tienaman Square, they'll disavow all responsibility--just as any administration would.

This the religous hard-liners are on the way out? Can the students and the reform block pull it off?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 937 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:26 pm
I think they'll pull it off, but not immediately.

Amen on the part about how if it goes well it's because of the "ripple effect" of Iraq, but if it goes badly then it's something else...
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 08:45 pm
Yep, those students will reform the place as effectively as those other students 'reformed' Afghanistan (Talib = 'religious student').

I'd see it as a bit of a "win-win" for the US and allies. Either isolate the present administration and let them become paranoid enough to do something that qualifies as terrorism or support a 'popular' uprising that will create a repressive enough environment to justify a regime 'change'.
0 Replies

Mamahani

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 01:57 am
The Iranian students are strong. They played a vital role in the downfall of the Shah, and will play an even bigger role in the downfall of the current murderous regime.

http://www.iran-daneshjoo.org/

Beloved students of Iran, in these
historic times my heart is with you.
0 Replies