Step Dad in the Hospital

Treya

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:07 pm
I'm suppose to be at work right now, but just as I was about to leave my step-dad pulled up and told me I need to take him to the hospital because the doctor just told him he has a really bad case of pneumonia. We will be heading out in a few minutes when he gets a phone call from someone at the church so he can let them know to send a message to my mom who is in Brazil on a mission trip. I just wanted to stop in and ask for prayers for my step-dad from those who pray, and positive thoughts from those who do that. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,345 • Replies: 95
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:10 pm
I wish him good luck and a speedy recovery.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:11 pm
Gosh!

Why didnt he go straight from the docs office?
That is kind of scary
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:17 pm
You got it hephzibah. prayers are with you.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:19 pm
Good luck to him and you. Hope he gets well soon.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:23 pm
Take care, heph. Sending best wishes for a speedy recovery.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:31 pm
Sending best wishes..
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:38 pm
I have a sense that he will be fine, heph. Thinking of you and your step-dad, dear.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:00 pm
You and your step dad are included in my prayers, hephzibah.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 03:05 pm
Sending my best to you and your stepdad, Heph.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 08:33 pm
<putting on ballerina tutu...concentrating on the creation of special interpretive dance>
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 08:34 pm
Hoping for a speedy recovery. Keep us informed.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 04:15 am
Best you and your stepfather, heph.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:16 am
Thanks everyone. I do appreciate it. To answer why he didn't go strait there... because that's my dad. He's stubborn as they come and he HATES the hospital. He wanted to make sure to get the number to contact the people from the church to let my mom know what's going on. Yep... that's my dad... *sigh*

Here's the most recent update:

They x-rayed his lungs yesterday and found a spot on one of his lungs. They want to biopsy it. However, they waited until this morning to tell him that they don't take his insurance. Idiots. So now, as you can imagine, he's pretty darn mad. So he's talking to his doctor (probably as I'm writing this) to see if they will do the biopsy as an outpatient procedure and let him come home with an IV for the pneumonia. I should hear from him soon to find out if I need to take him to the other hospital or bring him home. Thanks for your prayer and support. I appreciate you all.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 01:16 pm
Thanks for the update, Hephzibah
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 04:22 am
If it's a needle biopsy on the lung, it should be okay for an outpatient procedure but he will have to have someone drive him home and then make sure he rests for a few days afterwards (yes, I know someone who went through this, although she did not have pneumonia at the time).
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 05:02 am
Well, sending out healing and calming vibes to your step-dad and you.

Heph, your step dad reminds me of mine. The situation, the stubborness (which is very endearing and aggrivating all at once).
My step dad insisted on going home after his biopsy, so yeah, like jes said it can be done, so long as someone is there to help take care.

take care heph
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 07:59 am
Well I have some good news. My dad is home. When he found out about the whole insurance thing he called his doctor and said, "Ok you have two choices here. Either you check me out of the hospital, or I check myself out." The doctor came up to the hospital to see him and released him to go home with a BUNCH of meds. He can do the biopsy as an outpatient procedure, so he's going to schedule it for next week some time.

They said that they think the spot on the lung is actually somehow related to some sort of infection he had last year when he cut his knee. It wasn't a staph infection, it was something else, but apparently this particular type of infection usually reappears once you've had it, and it usually shows up on the lungs. How odd... I wish I could remember the name of the infection he had. Anyway, he's still moving kind of slow and sleeping a lot. But he seems much happier now that he's home.

He was able to talk to my mom yesterday, who somehow found a way to call home from Brazil. And the best news of all is that he quit smoking. He hasn't smoked in three days. I'm so proud of him. Smile I'll readjust my schedule to make sure he gets to any appointments and has whatever he needs. I'm just so glad he's home and they don't think the spot on the lung is cancer. Thanks again for your prayers and support you guys. I do appreciate each one of you.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 06:54 am
They finally got all the test results back for my dad. I didn't realize they hadn't... or he neglected to mention it. Either way, he has a 3 1/2 in tumor on his lung that is pressing it in and causing the breathing problems as well as the pneumonia. He also has a huge lump on his neck now. They think it could be cancer and it has spread to his lymphnodes (however you spell that) He's going talk to the doctor today, and will have a biopsy soon.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2006 07:14 am
Continued prayers for you and your dad.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Step Dad in the Hospital
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 04:21:28