lmur

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:22 am
This may be what you're looking for..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representative_peer
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:26 am
Also from wikipedia:

1707 (MDCCVII) was a common year starting on Saturday of the Gregorian calendar (or a common year starting on Wednesday of the 11-day slower Julian calendar). 1707 of the Swedish calendar was a common year starting on Tuesday, one day ahead of the Julian calendar.

Events
January 1 - John V is crowned King of Portugal
March 26 - The Acts of Union becomes law, making the separate Kingdoms of England and Scotland into one country, the Kingdom of Great Britain.
April 25 - Allied army is defeated by Bourbonic army at Almansa (Spain) in the War of the Spanish Succession.
September 29 - Four British Royal Navy ships run aground near Scilly Isles because of faulty navigation - Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovel and thousands of sailors drown
October 23 - First Parliament of Great Britain.
A fortress is founded on the future site of Ust-Abakanskoye (modern Abakan).
Mount Fuji in Japan erupts.
The Lao empire of Lan Xang officially ends and splits into the kingdoms of Vientiane, Luang Prabang, and Champasak.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 12:37 am
You people are bloody good,I'm sure the answer is here somewhere
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 01:26 am
In 1707 New Holland was taken ove by the English from the Dutchr and renamed New South Wales.

But I really think, your question has something to do with the Act of Union :wink:
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 10:49 pm
Gawd not much of note to western civilisation happened in Australia in 1707.

Walter is incorrect, or dyslexic.

James Cook first sighted Australia in 1770 and renamed New Holland New South Wales then.

Australia was not colonised by westerners until 1788.

In 1707 a bunch of contented indigenes lived in harmony with the environment across the continent, a small group in the north traded peacefully with Macassans. There were no kings, wars, guns or diseases of excess. Talk about the good old days.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 04:56 am
Variouse Dutch, Portugees and Spanish ships landed on Australias West coast prior to Cooks arrival. VOC exploration
I seem to recall a plaque found embedded in a tree around Broom or some such godforaken place (sorry broomians). Finding no water or hospitable territory they moved on.
Some may be familiar with the legend of the Mahogany ship

I suspect the original posters intent was to write 1770 not 1707.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 05:05 am
there you go.

Land"Timeline - exploration of Australia

1616 Dutch flag Dirck Hartogh, Captain of the VOC ship Eendracht, became the first European to set foot on Western Australian soil when he landed on an island, at the entrance to Shark Bay, now bearing his name. He left behind an inscribed pewter plate. Continued sailing north along the coast calling the land "Eendracht's
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:17 am
Denys Papin's steamboat. (1707)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:24 am
hingehead wrote:
Walter is incorrect, or dyslexic.

Some say, both.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 09:08 pm
You don't look anything like dys, Walter! Laughing

This thread obviously has nothing to do with Australia. The word "introduced" in the original question specifies that - not "discovered" or "granted" etc. :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 09:27 pm
Shark Bay. Now, there's a name to fire the imagination. And had he landed further north, he might have discovered crocodile creek, or some such.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 09:53 pm
lezzles wrote:

This thread obviously has nothing to do with Australia.

Except that it was posted in the Australia forum....
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 09:56 pm
roger wrote:
Shark Bay. Now, there's a name to fire the imagination. And had he landed further north, he might have discovered crocodile creek, or some such.

Funnily enough I'm pretty sure ol' Dirk named Rottnest Island - ie Dutch for Rat's nest - because of all the rats (which were actually quokkas).

Let's not even get into other Australian imaginative place names, like Seven Mile Beach, Five Mile Beach, Ninety Mile Beach, and the numerous Stoney Creeks....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 12:21 am
We should do a thread on Aust place names hinge. I could keep myself aused for a few days doing that.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:13 pm
Sorry, hinge.

My perception was that this thread was moved to 'Australia' after Walter suggested the New Holland connection. I was merely suggesting that perhaps the answer to the original question lay elsewhere.

I stand corrected.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:46 pm
It could have been for all I know Lezzles...this is just where it was when I found it. No apology necessary.
0 Replies