Imagine Earth without people

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 08:17 am
To prove that we are destroying the world we live on, scientists have imagined our planet without humans. Interesting way of looking at our problems.
Imagine Earth without people
12 October 2006
The human impact on earthHumans are undoubtedly the most dominant species the Earth has ever known. In just a few thousand years we have swallowed up more than a third of the planet's land for our cities, farmland and pastures. By some estimates, we now commandeer 40 per cent of all its productivity. And we're leaving quite a mess behind: ploughed-up prairies, razed forests, drained aquifers, nuclear waste, chemical pollution, invasive species, mass extinctions and now the looming spectre of climate change. If they could, the other species we share Earth with would surely vote us off the planet.
"15,589 Number of species threatened with extinction"
Now just suppose they got their wish. Imagine that all the people on Earth - all 6.5 billion of us and counting - could be spirited away tomorrow, transported to a re-education camp in a far-off galaxy. (Let's not invoke the mother of all plagues to wipe us out, if only to avoid complications from all the corpses). Left once more to its own devices, Nature would begin to reclaim the planet, as fields and pastures reverted to prairies and forest, the air and water cleansed themselves of pollutants, and roads and cities crumbled back to dust.

"The sad truth is, once the humans get out of the picture, the outlook starts to get a lot better," says John Orrock, a conservation biologist at the National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis in Santa Barbara, California. But would the footprint of humanity ever fade away completely, or have we so altered the Earth that even a million years from now a visitor would know that an industrial society once ruled the planet?
http://www.newscientist.com/channel/life/mg19225731.100
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 801 • Replies: 8
No top replies

lostnsearching

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 09:27 am
wow...only i won't exist..aww man now thats crappy...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 09:44 am
I would be curious, given that scenario, which would develope into the supreme life form, and how long it might take.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:17 am
interesting question edgar.

My guess is that the dominant species would become some mix of today's most advanced primates.

Also, I think it's sad how we are abusing our world. Maybe it's too late to tur back though...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:39 am
interesting, it's bad enough the harm we cause, but what about when we try to do good things

every year during the fire seasons i think about a time when few or no humans lived in north america, lightning strikes must have caused devasting fires that would have burned unchecked, and yet the forests are still there, how much harm are we doing by trying to stop the burning of older growth forest and allowing new growth to spring up, does older growth have the same oxygen creating potential of new growth (anybody know), what about the affect that ash and burnt timber turning to new soil might have on the landscape

just some of my thoughts
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 10:43 am
House cats would clearly dominate. Think about it. For centuries they've had us-- the supposedly smartest organisms on the planet-- at their beck and call. It's inhibited their development. With us out of the way, they'd be forced to assume their rightful place on the top rung of the evolutionary ladder.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 12:41 am
It is not necessary to " IMAGINE ";
thru out almost ALL
of its approximately 4,500,000,000 year existence,
Earth has been without human people.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 10:56 am
Anything one has never seen one can only imagine.
0 Replies

lostnsearching

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 05:47 am
Quote:
Anything one has never seen one can only imagine.

well said...hats off!! :wink:
0 Replies