Australian farmers commit suicide as hope evaporates.

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 05:16 pm
It must be terrible to see your land dry up and leave you without hope.
Australian farmers commit suicide as hope evaporates.
20 October 2006
SYDNEY: One Australian farmer commits suicide every four days, defeated by the country's worst drought in 100 years which has left them with dust-bowl paddocks and a mountain of debt, says a national mental health body.
As drought rolls into a sixth year, stoic farmers are reduced to tears under the stress of trying to produce a crop and hold on to land sometimes farmed by the same family for generations.

"One male farmer every four days is committing suicide," Jeff Kennett, chairman of beyondblue, said.
"My fear is that when under prolonged stress and when they see their assets totally denuded of value, that we will see an increase (in suicides)," Kennett told local radio.
The rate among male farmers and farm workers is more than twice the national average, the NSW Farmers Association says.
The figure is all the more worrying because only about 10 per cent of Australia's 20 million population live in rural areas and the number has been declining for years as the rural economy struggles. The vast majority of Australians live in cities.
The latest Australian Bureau of Statistics suicide report says 2,098 Australians took their lives in 2004.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3833891a12,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 897 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 05:33 pm
Its not just the farmers who are feeling the pinch. Seasonal workers, farm hands, contractors, rural supplies businesses staff for the preceeding and the attendant flow on effect to small rural centers.

I have lived in this area for a long time. I have never seen the weather do the things it has this year. Its not just the lack of rain, the sun has a sting in it you would perhaps expect for a few days at a time in Jan or Feb, the wind is regular and strong increasing evaporation and drying fodder off 2 months before it is to be expected.

Make no mistakes folks this drought is gonna hurt bad.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 05:36 pm
That is some sad news.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 05:37 pm
Geezus!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 05:40 pm
Brings to mind the Dust Bowl days.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 05:41 pm
The good news for other countries farmers is US and canadian commoditty crops like wheat barley and cotton and Argentinian beef should jump considerably.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 05:45 pm
I'm not sure I would consider that good news, given the circumstances.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 05:54 pm
Just trying to find some kind of silver lining gus.

I'll run out of work in about a month or two but you just never know whats around the corner.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 11:35 pm
Not much good news around re the drought. There was one day last week I saw two reports. One was about how the cost of groceries is expected to rise due to the drought. The other was about the poor prices farmers were getting for their livestock at the yard sales. As is usual, there's going to be some fat bludging prick in the middle getting rich of everyone else's pain!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 11:36 pm
dadpad, I was listening to 774 (Melbourne-based ABC radio) the other day when someone (a historian, as best I can remember) talked about the devastating drought in the years up to & following Federation in Oz. About the worst on record (so far!). Apparently things were so bad that in 1902 (I think) a holiday was declared in NSW for people to pray (& meditate) for rain. Things were very, very tough in the country then. Just imagine how some folk on the land survived without government support, "relief packages", unemployment benefits, etc. It must have been horrendous. Sad

At my local market today I couldn't help but notice how tired & stressed some of the fruit & vegetables looked compared to even a few months ago. We're all going to have to get used to this, I guess. Plus imported produce, as you've mentioned.

My commiserations on your job coming to an end. I'm in the same boat, though I have till just before Christmas to go. Such is the nature of contract work. <sigh> Good luck in your search for a new job!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 12:12 am
Damn.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 01:42 am
Dont fret folks, My cup is half full. I have one plantation booked and who knows what will turn up.

Going back to thwe originating atical I couldn't help but remember Kennetts famous "dribbling down to the toenails" comment.

One wonders how he sees things now!
0 Replies