How can they be so opposite?

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 03:55 pm
After studing long and hard on what differences in the old and new Testament might have, i came across the central idea. Its not that god was vengeful in the old testament or that he was more kind in the new. The whole thing i saw was this. Christianity is a religion based completely on faith, not by works or rituals. Yet the Old Testament has many rituals. The food they could and could not eat, celebration of passover, sacrifice of the lambs, the yearly confession to the priest.... So many rituals. How could Christianity dwell mostly on the acceptance of the crucifixition as the only way to heaven and the Old Testament so strongly on works and reverence to god. How can this be at all!?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,439 • Replies: 20
No top replies

auroreII

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 04:50 pm
I recall someone once telling me that the laws of the old testament showed that man was incapable of following the comandments of God to the letter. Basically the old testament showed how we are all sinners and in need of salvation and the new testament shows what to do about it and how to get right with God.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:52 pm
Epinirvana,

We are no longer under the law. We are under grace. In the Old Testament it was God and man. In the New Testament Jesus is our mediator.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 11:23 pm
Re: How can they be so opposite?
EpiNirvana wrote:
After studing long and hard on what differences in the old and new Testament might have, i came across the central idea. Its not that god was vengeful in the old testament or that he was more kind in the new. The whole thing i saw was this. Christianity is a religion based completely on faith, not by works or rituals. Yet the Old Testament has many rituals. The food they could and could not eat, celebration of passover, sacrifice of the lambs, the yearly confession to the priest.... So many rituals. How could Christianity dwell mostly on the acceptance of the crucifixition as the only way to heaven and the Old Testament so strongly on works and reverence to god. How can this be at all!?

Quite simply; Because judaism and christianity are different beasts, albeit of the same lineage.
That christianity has some roots in judaism does not preclude contradictions between the two religions.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 11:40 pm
>---[bookmark]
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 05:49 am
bm
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 06:55 am
Aurorell touched on the reason: The entirety of the OT was recorded to introduce the New. As Paul wrote: "Consequently the Law has become our tutor leading to Christ. . ." (Galatians 3:24)
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:23 pm
Yes, i understand the basis of the Old Testament. But what i cant understand is why God would raise his people up in a ritual religion for so long then change it to a faith based religion. I have trouble understanding how the Old Testament sets up for the new when they are completely differnt way to please god.

Old Testament pleased god by sacrifice, works, passover, and things of that nature. The New Testament is just accept his word and love him. I just cant seam to grasp that.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:35 pm
Actually Epinirvana, it is all about faith. It was about faith in the Old Testament also. If you have faith in God and love Him then it naturally follows that you want to keep His commandments.

In order to answer your question more fully I will have to do a bit of research and see if I can find you an explanation that may help.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 04:20 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Actually Epinirvana, it is all about faith. It was about faith in the Old Testament also. If you have faith in God and love Him then it naturally follows that you want to keep His commandments.

In order to answer your question more fully I will have to do a bit of research and see if I can find you an explanation that may help.

Sounds good. But the faith and God is completely different. OT seamed to be God wanted the nation of Israel to have faith in him, everyone else take their land adn sluagher/slavery. NT is way to spread his word to everyone.

The OT was so much like mytholgy and other religions of the time. World wide distruction, a chosen ppl or nation, rituals the offend or please the gods, certian acts to redeem yourself to the gods. While the NT preaches to repent. period. The more i look at these two the farther they seam in belief.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 06:56 pm
Not really Epinirvana. God gave those "others" the chance to believe in Him. And yep, if they didn't He got rid of them. He's God. It's His right.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 08:34 pm
New bullshit added to the old bullshit is clearly the simplest explanation.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 10:54 pm
Eorl? I don't understand what you mean by that statement?http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/7.gif
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 11:41 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Not really Epinirvana. God gave those "others" the chance to believe in Him. And yep, if they didn't He got rid of them. He's God. It's His right.

Can't ya just feel the love??. Hallelujah!

Hi Arella Mae. Time for a reality check. Did these "little ones" get a chance to believe him?

Numbers 31:
Quote:
17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 01:54 am
Arella, the massive differences and contradictions between the two books can be reconciled by all kinds of bizarre interpretations and massive leaps of faith about what the gods intentions were....

or....it could all be fiction and history, written by real men and not by gods. That's the simplest answer and fits the evidence very easily.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 02:31 am
Eorl

That is not enought for some. Strange how some would accept the strangest supernatural explanation and reject the natural one. Tells of a motive for trying at all...
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 03:05 pm
mesquite wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:

Can't ya just feel the love??. Hallelujah!

Hi Arella Mae. Time for a reality check. Did these "little ones" get a chance to believe him?

Numbers 31:
Quote:
17 Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
18 But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Yea there is no way they had a chance. The best answere i have ever gotten for this was they fell away from god in the begging and god just gave up and concentrated on the nation of Israel.

It seams like a complete hodge podge of polytheistic religions crammed in to one god. But then Christianity came along and the old testament was less concentrated on. Perhaps this is why the OT has held for so long?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 06:42 pm
epinirvana wrote:
Yea there is no way they had a chance. The best answere i have ever gotten for this was they fell away from god in the begging and god just gave up and concentrated on the nation of Israel.

And the suggestion that this may actually have been the work of men, not God doesn't seem plausible?

If muslim extremists got to write the world history in the future, in a hundred years kids would learn that god tore down the world trade center as punishment for the sinful existence of that nation.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 08:54 pm
auroreII wrote:
I recall someone once telling me that the laws of the old testament showed that man was incapable of following the comandments of God to the letter. Basically the old testament showed how we are all sinners and in need of salvation and the new testament shows what to do about it and how to get right with God.

To me that sounds like..."ahh screw it, we can't keep track of all this stuff, let's just have faith...yeah, that's it."
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 08:15 am
Eorl wrote:
New bullshit added to the old bullshit is clearly the simplest explanation.

Simple. Direct. To the point.
Acurate.
0 Replies