Who decides? The state or the individual?

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 08:10 am
This is a continuation of another discussion, but I'd like to start by addressing the basic philosophical point first. To do so, let's examine this situation:

Worker is looking for a job and Boss is looking to hire someone. We can assume that Worker, all things considered, would prefer to work for the highest wage and the fewest hours, whereas Boss, all things considered, would prefer to hire someone for the lowest wage and the most hours. Now, suppose also that the state is considering a law that both sets the minimum wage at which an employee may be paid as well as the maximum hours that an employee may work. Without the law in place, however, we can assume that Boss and Worker might negotiate a deal which would fall short of the law's minimum wage limit or exceed the law's maximum hour limit.

In this situation, who should make the decision regarding Worker's wages and hours: Worker and Boss, negotiating between themselves, or the state, through its minimum wage/maximum hour legislation?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,385 • Replies: 5
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 11:57 am
Shades of Ayn Rand. Just a joke. There ought to be unions to deal with it, but of course, the unions must be policed.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 12:02 pm
Joe, I realize that this is Friday the 13, but what happened to the other contributions to this discussion?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 12:04 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=84387
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 12:10 pm
Letty wrote:
Joe, I realize that this is Friday the 13, but what happened to the other contributions to this discussion?

I don't know how that happened. I think one of the hamsters fell off the wheel.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 12:18 pm
Well, thanks to JP, I found the other. I always enjoy your hypothetical discussions. Perhaps that hamster was run over by a runaway trolley. Razz
0 Replies