Banker for the poor wins Nobel Peace Prize

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:12 am
A well-deserved pat on the back and an encouragement to a good cause.
Banker for the poor wins Nobel Peace Prize
The Norwegian Nobel Committee awarded this year's Nobel Peace Prize on Friday to Muhammad Yunus and the Grameen Bank he started 30 years ago, citing their efforts to create economic and social development from the lowest grass-roots levels.
"I can't believe that it's truly happened," Yunus told Norwegian Broadcasting (NRK) shortly after the Peace Prize was announced. "Thank you so very much."
Yunus, who started the so-called "microcredit" system of making tiny loans to poor people in rural Bangladesh, said he already was looking forward to making the trip to Oslo on December 10 to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. He said he'd invest the SEK 10 million cash award that comes with the Peace Prize back into his financing offers for the poor.
The Grameen Bank has noted itself that it "never imagined that one day we would be reaching hundreds of thousands, let alone six million, borrowers." It doesn't demand collateral in making small loans to "the poorest of the poor" who want to try starting up small business ventures.
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1492637.ece
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 534 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 06:26 am
This is a great concept that has spiraled out into other countries. Most of the borrowers are women and the success rate of paying back the loans and creating a profitable business are very high. In the US there is such a bank that works with women in Appalachia. I read about two women who borrowed $1000 and bought a sewing machine and some materials to make children's quilts. They now have a successful business making one of a kind quilts and dolls. They hired their neighbors to help as they have expanded and now run a fairly large craft co-op. I know in places like India and Africa the loans can be as small as $5, just enough to buy some wholesale bracelets or trinkets to sell on the street. The difference between giving a fish and teaching to fish.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 08:43 am
Muhammad Yunus
I've been interested in Muhammad Yunus' project for several years. It demonstrates that sometimes small projects in small steps can be more effective that attempting huge projects that take forever to achieve.

BBB
0 Replies