Iraq's Babylon Superguns

cjhsa

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 07:06 am
Do some searches on "Iraq supergun" or "Iraq Babylon gun" if you would like more information. These were built to send WMD's indiscriminately at long range. Possible even to reach space.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/iraq/images/02_supergun.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 732 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 08:55 am
Bump for the naysayers.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 08:01 pm
Wow, not a single response.

Dumbfounded?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 08:02 pm
It looks like a tube sticking up out of a mine site to me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 08:10 pm
Ok, so ona credible news source search, I found little. I did find an article at the new york times which stated that saddam admitted to the devices in 1991, things were destroyed. The designer was assassinated. And, experts think the whole thing would not have worked anyway.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 07:02 am
I think what it shows is the scale of their intent.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 08:34 am
Or the limits of their ability...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 08:44 am
Re: Iraq's Babylon Superguns
cjhsa wrote:
Do some searches on "Iraq supergun" or "Iraq Babylon gun" if you would like more information. These were built to send WMD's indiscriminately at long range. Possible even to reach space.

From cjhsa's source:
Quote:
Most worrisome in Iraq's arsenal of guns developed by Gerald Bull from mid-1981 until he was assassinated on 22 March 1990 [probably by Israeli intelligence], were its 300 155 millimeter howitzers, all versions of the GC-45 gun that Bull developed in the 1970's. Two hundred of these guns, termed GH-N-45 and manufactured in Austria, were shipped to Iraq via Jordan in 1985 for use in the Iran-Iraq war. The remaining 100 were manufactured in South Africa, where they are marketed under the name G-5. The G-5 can deliver a tactical nuclear warhead, chemical shells or any NATO standard 155mm shell.

Bull also designed two advanced self-propelled artillery systems for the Iraqis: the 210-millimeter Al Fao and the 155 millimeter Majnoon. The Al Fao, which weighs 48 tons, can fire four 109 kilogram rounds a minute for 35 miles from its 11-meter barrel. The Iraqis claim that the Al Fao and Majnoon can attain a top speed of 72-88 kilometers an hour on the road.

Also worrisome were Bull-modified missile warheads, which increased the range of Iraq's Scud missiles.

Under Project Babylon, Bull extended his HARP gun design to build the barrel in segments, with a total length of 512 feet. The gun would be able to fire 600 kg projectile to a range of 1,000 kilometers, or a 2,000 kg rocket-assisted projectile into orbit.

As a component of Project Babylon, Bull built a smaller gun, nick-named Baby Babylon, as a prototype for the larger gun. This 40 meter long gun was first constructed for horizontal testing in the summer of 1989, and installed at Jabal Hamrayn, ninety miles north of Baghdad, in central Iraq [Jabal Hamrin MTS]. The gun was positioned along a mountainside at an agle of about 45 degrees.

In documents filed with the UN Special Commission 18 July 1991, Iraq admitted possessing a gun with a barrel 350 millimeters wide and 45 meters long and that it was building a second one. The commission noted that the gun would have been inaccurate for conventional armaments, and that it was trying to determine if the weapon was intended for chemical, biological, or nuclear use. The superguns were potentially capable of firing chemical, biological and nuclear weapons to a range of up to 1,000 km.

The high-ranking Iraqi defector Gen. Hussein Kamel al-Majeed said Iraq was working on a space weapon launched from the supergun.

"It was meant for long-range attack and also to blind spy satellites. Our scientists were seriously working on that. It was designed to explode a shell in space that would have sprayed a sticky material on the satellite and blinded it."
He also said the supergun could have delivered a nuclear device.

Following the Gulf War UN teams destroyed one 350 mm. supergun, components of a 1000 mm. supergun, and supergun propellant.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 10:06 am
That right there is some pretty bizarre ****.

I want one.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 11:07 am
That gun would make Ted Nugent cream in his pants.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 11:09 am
There was a story on Bull and his gun on 60 Minutes way back in the day. They also implicated Israel in Bull's assassination.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2006 02:12 pm
i recall that during the 1970's(?) bull tried to get the canadian government to finance his "space gun" .
he claimed that an artillery piece could be used to cheaply lauch missiles and satellites into outer space . i believe he had a testsite set up on one of the caribbean islands .
he and his project certainly were in the canadian news for quite some time .
hbg

...GERALD BULL...
also :
...THE SPACE GUN...
0 Replies