What is Heaven like?? Can anyone tell me?

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 11:13 am
Can anyone help? I am a teen. My Grandmother of whom I was very close to died about 4 years ago. Only the thing is I still haven't really come to terms with it.The thing is when she died I I ended up due to circumstances an awful amout of high school. Therefore I missed pretty much all of my religious education and therefore I don't really understand where she's gone.
I have a question I was wondering whether anyone out there could possibly help me with. This is: what does The Bible/Christianity say that Heaven is like? What does it look like? (are there any descriptions) and what happens up there??
Also I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question (only I just wondered because I missed such a lot of school) but do they give a good all-round general education in Religion in High schools??
What sort of things about religion do they teach you in England?
CAN ANYONE POSSIBLY HELP?????
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 669 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Bawb

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 11:15 am
If Heaven is real, I assure you she is having a great time up there.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 03:37 am
Re: What is Heaven like?? Can anyone tell me?
Clemence wrote:
Can anyone help? I am a teen. My Grandmother of whom I was very close to died about 4 years ago. Only the thing is I still haven't really come to terms with it.The thing is when she died I I ended up due to circumstances an awful amout of high school. Therefore I missed pretty much all of my religious education and therefore I don't really understand where she's gone.
I have a question I was wondering whether anyone out there could possibly help me with. This is: what does The Bible/Christianity say that Heaven is like? What does it look like? (are there any descriptions) and what happens up there??
Also I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question (only I just wondered because I missed such a lot of school) but do they give a good all-round general education in Religion in High schools??

Ok.
According to the bible, you will go live inside a gigantic cube made of gold and jewels, where you will lay flat on your face and praise god endlessly.
resistance is futile
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 04:08 am
heya. i'm also a ''teen'', seventeen in fact. as for heaven it's a place with no pain, hurt or suffering where people finally meet their saviour. however, to get to heaven you have to be really faithful in God and live your life based on His law. as long as your nan did that i'm sure she made it. i'll pray for you with my church and hopefully you'll start to accept that she's gone. just remember, nobody can take your memories away from you, but your the one who has to use them positively.
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 05:16 am
Hi Clemence and welcome to the forum,

Clemence wrote:

From an Islamic perspective:

Our final destination is the life of the Hereafter. Where we end up, Paradise or Hell-fire depends on what we worked towards in this life. Paradise is the aim and the hope of every Muslim. But like trying to attain any goal, in order to achieve success, one must have a well-defined plan, and it must be implemented to be successful. To prepare for our journey, we need to find out what our destination is like; who are its people, and most importantly, how to get there.

The Prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him) told us that within Paradise are things that no eyes have ever seen, nor ears have ever heard, and that things in it are beyond our imagination and comprehension. We all have our own personal ideas of what eternal bliss would probably be like, but what Allah (the Arabic word for God) has in store for the believers is so much more than they can imagine. He, in His Book (the Holy Qur'an), and through His last and final Messenger, has given us a clear picture of our goal, so that we can keep it in front of us at all times. By keeping our eyes on the prize, no matter our hardships in this worldly life, we can strive that much harder to attain it.

There are many verses in the Holy Qur'an that describe what Paradise is like. If you are interested, I can quote a few. Keep in mind that Heaven is better that the best of what all human beings can imagine.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 06:59 am
As far as religious education in high school - I can speak for the US - if you go to public school you get zippo - as in the US there are a variety of beliefs so there is no religious education. However, there are many private schools centered around religious education (not that this will help you).

One website I would suggest as it typically will explain different viewpoints depending on your religious beliefs is the following - I hope this gives you a little guidance for you. One other suggestion is to speak with a minister at your local church - most have a youth minister that has experience speaking with teenagers. If you feel comfortable about it, talk with your parents - I am sure they would want to help you too and could also guide you or suggest some one to speak with you if you seek to gather more education in your religion.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_deat.htm
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 07:29 am
Clemence,

Forget about so-called "religious education". Philosophy can teach you that existence, like beauty, lies in the eye of the beholder. This means that your Grandmother continues to "exist" in as much as she is in the minds of her loved ones. Despite claims to the contrary, this is all we can know in the normal sense of the word "know". All the rest is pure speculation.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 10:08 am
rockpie wrote:
heya. i'm also a ''teen'', seventeen in fact. as for heaven it's a place with no pain, hurt or suffering where people finally meet their saviour. however, to get to heaven you have to be really faithful in God and live your life based on His law. as long as your nan did that i'm sure she made it. i'll pray for you with my church and hopefully you'll start to accept that she's gone. just remember, nobody can take your memories away from you, but your the one who has to use them positively.
Of course, in order to get there, you have to die first. . .

BUMMER!

Stack that up against God's original purpose for Adam and Eve to live forever on earth. Where does it say God changed his mind? As for me, I hope to meet my departed loved ones right here on this planet. (Compare John 5:28)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 10:34 am
Heaven
Talking Heads

Everyone is trying to get to the bar.
The name of the bar, the bar is called Heaven.
The band in Heaven plays my favorite song.
They play it once again, they play it all night long.

Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens.

There is a party, everyone is there.
Everyone will leave at exactly the same time.
Its hard to imagine that nothing at all
could be so exciting, and so much fun.

When this kiss is over it will start again.
It will not be any different, it will be exactly
the same.
It's hard to imagine that nothing at all
could be so exciting, could be so much fun.

0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:20 pm
Perhaps this link might help. http://www.baptiststandard.com/2003/1_13/pages/family.html
0 Replies