Myth & Understanding

coberst

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 02:38 am
Such is probably our experience of understanding. In the process of trying to understand I create a model and then somewhere in this process of creating and modifying my model I pass to the point of believing the truth of my model thus the feeling of ecstasy.

In an attempt to explain to the novice the meaning of myth Campbell says that the "grave and constant" in human suffering may, and sometimes does, lead to an experience that is the apogee of our life. This apogee experience is ineffable (not capable of expression). Campbell considers this to be true because it is verified by individuals who have had such an experience.

"And this experience, or at least an approach to it, is the ultimate aim of religion, the ultimate reference of all myth and rite."

"The paramount theme of mythology is not the agony of quest but the rapture of a revelation."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 882 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 05:40 am
Are you asying make-believe to the extent of fooling the emotions? I think there's a psychological diagnosis for that. Smile

But that doesn't mean you're not right. The power of myths is the power of the psyche.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 06:15 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Are you asying make-believe to the extent of fooling the emotions? I think there's a psychological diagnosis for that. Smile

But that doesn't mean you're not right. The power of myths is the power of the psyche.

I think of make-believe as an act of imagination that is creative of meaning but that it may or may not be accepted as representing truth after the make-believe is finished. I do not think of it as fooling emotions.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 09:29 pm
Re: Myth & Understanding
coberst wrote:
In the process of trying to understand I create a model and then somewhere in this process of creating and modifying my model I pass to the point of believing the truth of my model thus the feeling of ecstasy.

Yes, this strikes me as a very accurate description of your methodology. It's one you've alluded to before; I believe there was a post some time ago in which you used the metaphor of paper mache, and about how you "sculpted" what you thought the answer to a question might be, and used that as the pre-determined basis of your thought processes.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 10:33 pm
Shapeless wrote:
coberst wrote:
In the process of trying to understand I create a model and then somewhere in this process of creating and modifying my model I pass to the point of believing the truth of my model thus the feeling of ecstasy.

Yes, this strikes me as a very accurate description of your methodology. It's one you've alluded to before; I believe there was a post some time ago in which you used the metaphor of paper mache, and about how you "sculpted" what you thought the answer to a question might be, and used that as the pre-determined basis of your thought processes.

Shhh....don't disturb him, he's in ecstasy... :wink:
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 08:12 am
Quote:
Yes, this strikes me as a very accurate description of your methodology.

The ecstacy of revelation, as coberst puts it, is a treasured experience. It comes as a result of a thought or an idea that bears the sense of implications beyond those we can immediately comprehend.
For myself I experience it most often in relation to music. Whenever I write a piece of music, create a riff or a song that I am particularly happy with, the feeling of intense inspiration washes through me like a reward for many hours of work.
I think it is the same feeling that is described as the ecstacy of revelation. But it is fuel for the motivation, this feeling. It is not justification of the idea at hand, and it is not directly related to the idea. It is more a matter of the pride of the individual who has thought of it. Pride of accomplishment.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 11:02 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:
Yes, this strikes me as a very accurate description of your methodology.

The ecstacy of revelation, as coberst puts it, is a treasured experience. It comes as a result of a thought or an idea that bears the sense of implications beyond those we can immediately comprehend.
For myself I experience it most often in relation to music. Whenever I write a piece of music, create a riff or a song that I am particularly happy with, the feeling of intense inspiration washes through me like a reward for many hours of work.
I think it is the same feeling that is described as the ecstacy of revelation. But it is fuel for the motivation, this feeling. It is not justification of the idea at hand, and it is not directly related to the idea. It is more a matter of the pride of the individual who has thought of it. Pride of accomplishment.

I agree completely. It is an experience that can be associated with many different exercises of talent or deep interest. I also think that far too few people experience it because far too few people have been motivated to finding that experience. I like to say to young people that they find something that really interests them and then drive through that matter with great gusto in the hope that they may experience that ecastasy. Once a person finds that experience it will give them the drive to try it again and again.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 12:07 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
It is not justification of the idea at hand, and it is not directly related to the idea. It is more a matter of the pride of the individual who has thought of it. Pride of accomplishment.

Yes, I think this is quite true. As you mentioned, there is the "ecstasy" of the artistic experience and the "ecstasy" of knowledge (for lack of a better term). I'm reminded of a thread from some time ago in which the poster was trying to justify the equation of the latter with the former. Quite often, the results speak for themselves.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 12:39 pm
Yes. Just because you feel soo good about it doesn't mean that the actual product is that good. For many of us that is a hard lesson.

coberst wrote:
I like to say to young people that they find something that really interests them and then drive through that matter with great gusto in the hope that they may experience that ecastasy.

Well, I've never thought of it as hard to come by. The pride of accomplishment is felt by a toddler taking his first step as much as by the kid who finds his first hair of beard on his cheek. It is an ecstacy familiar to us from the beginning of life. It may be that it grows more alien to us as we age though. I haven't thought about that.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 02:52 pm
I wonder if there is a correlation between ideas conceived with the fervor of religious ecstasy, on one hand, and the proselytizing of ideas with the fervor of religious dogma, on the other, since the aura of ecstasy is in part a tactic for resisting refutation ("you don't have to explain it; it just FEELS right!") and proselytizers are those who refuse to hold themselves to any standard of refutation.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 03:30 pm
I think so.

The rapture of a realization can often convince the thinker of it's inherent absolute truth, even though there may be none. From there it may be a simple desire to tell people the truth, fueled with the conviction that his way is the right way. His mind is closed to arguments that go against his idea.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 11:20 am
coberst wrote:
Such is probably our experience of understanding. In the process of trying to understand I create a model and then somewhere in this process of creating and modifying my model I pass to the point of believing the truth of my model thus the feeling of ecstasy.

In an attempt to explain to the novice the meaning of myth Campbell says that the "grave and constant" in human suffering may, and sometimes does, lead to an experience that is the apogee of our life. This apogee experience is ineffable (not capable of expression). Campbell considers this to be true because it is verified by individuals who have had such an experience.

"And this experience, or at least an approach to it, is the ultimate aim of religion, the ultimate reference of all myth and rite."

"The paramount theme of mythology is not the agony of quest but the rapture of a revelation."

Campbell's genius is his clarity of expression and his lack of sectarianism. The problem encountered in explaining myth is that the basis for myth is inexpressible, and we insist on an intellectual understanding, which is impossible.

That rituals use metaphorical objects, such as wine and bread, to stand for the blood and body of Christ does not preclude that Christ is also a metaphorical symbol, and therein lies the problem. The intellect wants an image to cling to, a dogma to believe in, but true spiritual experience transcends all images and dogmas, and the intellect is incapable of understanding spiritual experience. That's why it's called transcendency.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:25 am
Hello columber, long, very long time since I read a post from you it is wonderful to see you and thankful you are still around. Always good to read your thoughts.

Big Joseph Campbell reader, and Jung's. I am familiar with Campbell's works, esp." Hero with a Thousand Faces,"and the four volume set on world mythology and read too much Jung for my own good as a youth, but there is something to seeing the same motifs over and over again that can not be accounted for by simply cultural diffusion to ignore these archetypes in us all.

Letting the words of Joseph Campbell speak below for myth, but relating it to religion has brought meaning to the religious practices of my youth. To read with understanding read his words has brought a new level to the Roman Catholic Mass and had me in tears (egads, a truly "religious experience) as I heard and saw the beauty of it and how it was meant to resonate in the deepest part of being.

Quote:

…cant do any better than Joe.

Quote:
The problem, or distance between the Christian churches and the words of Jesus are the difference between the connotations, the spirit of the words and the denotations, meaning they are hard facts. This is the basis of western religions, and in Christianity of the historical Jesus. But his words, as well as those of Mohammed, the Buddha, and others, have to be seen for their connotation, the spirit of the meaning and the pointing of a way to lead a full life and a way to seek the transcendent. This is the spiritual part of the message which religion houses in its structure, a way to a truly transcendental/spiritual experience

Religion is meant as a constellation of metaphors, ones pointing to the spirit, not the history books. When the latter happens, dogma arises and kills the spiritual message contained at the core of the religion..

A great study of this is "Why Christianity must change or die" by John Bishop Sponge that deals directly with Campbell's interpretation of the metaphorical nature of Christianity and how it will need to change or die from a lack of relevancy.

http://www.jcf.org/

http://freenet.msp.mn.us/org/mythos/mythos.www/TENCOM.HTML

http://www.context.org/ICLIB/IC12/Campbell.htm

http://www.whidbey.com/parrott/toms.htm

http://www.newdimensions.org/html/campbell.html

http://www.rain.org/~young/articles/campbell.html

http://www.spiritsite.com/writing/joscam/part2.htm

http://members.aol.com/ServantWRX/pwrmyth.html

and if you can, find a copy of "The Joseph Campbell Companion"... I have given the text away a dozen times to nieces and nephews and my students

and Joe was a Deadhead too......

I remember the summer I attended my first of over 75 Dead shows, it was in '74 and I had my first experience of Joseph Campbell's "The Hero With A Thousand Faces in a semantics class." A few years ago I read this from Campbell, and it rang in words as true as it had in my heart that night long ago in Philly...

Quote:
"I had my first rock and roll experience at a performance of The Grateful Dead in Oakland (in 1986, he was 82 years old)…. Rock music had always seemed a bore to me, but I can tell you, at that concert, I found eight thousand people standing in mild rapture for five hours while these boys let loose everything on the stage. The place was just a mansion of dance. And I thought, "Holy God! Everyone has just lost themselves in everybody else here!" The principal theme of my talk was the wonderful innocence and the marvel of life when it recognizes itself in harmony with all the others. Everyone is somehow or other at one with everybody else. And my final theme was that this is the world's only of answer to the atom bomb. The atom bomb is based on differentiation: I-and-not-that-guy-over-there. Divisiveness is socially based. It has nothing to do with nature at all. It is a contrivance and here, suddenly, it fell apart."

"I was carried away in rapture. And so I am a Deadhead now."
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 11:54 am
Cyracuz wrote:
I think so.

The rapture of a realization can often convince the thinker of it's inherent absolute truth, even though there may be none. From there it may be a simple desire to tell people the truth, fueled with the conviction that his way is the right way. His mind is closed to arguments that go against his idea.

I think that people can have a transcendent experience or, as Alan Watts called it, "cosmic consciousness." Many so-called primitive cultures use different drugs from numerous plants, dance, chanting, etc., to attain this state. The interpretation of the "experience" may be within the context of the group one is involved in, that is, one in a conservative church in which the members speak in tongues, may interpret the "experience" as the grace of God, but a Brazilian native who takes ayahuasca will interpret it in another way. A zen buddhist, supposedly, free from dogmatic influences will interpret it in an altogether different way; the best, who actually are free from dogma become masters and head a monastery.

People initially having this "experience" tend to become evangelical at first; some of them never grow out of it and it simply reinforces their dogma.

Hi, Kuvasz. Thanks for your kind comments. I still remember you from Abuzz and your wonderful threads and hope to see you more often on a2k.
0 Replies