A (Personal and Idiosynchratic) Letter From Australia.

littlek

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
I saw that one too, Beth, but I think the last one in the line-up I posted fits my expression this side of the terminal better.
0 Replies

dlowan

heehee - dish the dirt on deb time - true confessions!

Because I have been really ill the last month, telly has been my friend when I have been awake - so I have watched our version of Big Brother.

Lately, as my brain begins to function again, I have been able to cogitate about this shameful secret, and it has been a fruitful source of wonderings...

Our house has a very beautiful lawyer - blonde, lovely to look at in her face and body and movements. She is also quite bright - although not, at least in the situation she is in, displaying that quality of logical and coherent thought and the vein of sharp humour I am used to in lawyers - though she may be being tactical and hiding all this.

Anyway - she has three of the men in the house - all rather lovely fellas in their own ways - in a right tizz - as well as having a fella at home, with whom she has been partnered for six years.

Well, one of the fellas, and, in my view, the smartest and loveliest and the one with the most presence - is obviously very keen (and she may be, too) but he is NOT in a tizz - very centred and not wanting to look dumb on the telly - but biding his time. The other two fellas make you ache to look at them in their smittenness.

Now - my cogitation is - is she being tactical and playing the fellas off - and stringing them all along so as to minimize her nominations? Or - is she just enjoying the attention of these guys- as you do when it is offered - and what lovely fun it is to bask in that attention from 3 lovely folk!

I am soooooo reluctant to see her as tactical in a mean way - cos two of these fellas are being, it seems, made really sad. I really want to see her as just enjoying the flirting and such.

I wonder........

Or, are the fellas looking sad and such to get sympathy and not be voted out? Hmmmmm .....I think I know smittenness when I see it. I could be wrong though!

Also - class has reared its ugly head! A woman and a fella came into the house late - the woman is a real rough diamond - very much what we might rudely call a "scrubber". She is pretty rough and made a joke so racist and so gross re women (got past the censor!) that the station had to apologize most abjectly for it - and may still be in deep doody - I missed it. Now, there is another very working class woman in the house - but she is of the "battler" ilk - that is not well educated or well off and has had very few opportunities - but is a natural gentleperson.

The "joke" woman feels alienated in the place, cos almost everyone else is middle class. The battler woman does a bit - but not generally - and she is by far the most popular contestant outside the house - like WAY ahead.

Interesting watching the play of interaction.

Interesting thing is, the "battler" woman is every bit as physically attractive as the house goddess, and has a heart and soul of gold - but - only recently has any male seemed attracted - and only one.

Why is it so?

These things are a mystery to me....
0 Replies

Setanta

Packaging, Boss--packaging is the soul of sales . . . you can tell a child that all that glitters is not gold, but when you get to the store, they still want the "Lucky Charms" because of all the bright colors, and the laughin', dancin' wee fellah on the box.

When i was a wee lad, there was a breakfast cereal known as Kix, which was made from corn, and quite appealing. Then they made a brightly colored version thereof, alleged to have fruit flavors, and marketed it as Trix. I was delighted, and i loudly opined that eating it would make one capable of performing circus tricks--to the cruel dirision of my brothers. When i actually ate, it had a chemical taste more than anything else--but the sales pitch held up, and in a few years time, you could not get Kix any longer--which i preferred for gustatory reasons . . . sigh . . .

It takes time to accumulate wisdom, and only wisdom teaches us to look past the gaudy exterior . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Silly Setanta, Trix is only fit for wabbits, despite what the ads tell ya....
0 Replies

mac11

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:ulFa04P7WsIC:theimaginaryworld.com/box605.jpg
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:2fqqle2Xx9gC:www.vammaxam.com/images/kix_lg.gif
0 Replies

dlowan

the packaging on both is pretty damn fine...
0 Replies

cavfancier

That guy from Joe Millionaire confessed off-air to Howard Stern that the reason he didn't end up going out with the girl he picked on the show was that quite frankly, none of them, up close, were up to his standards. Long live the good-looking and shallow...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 03:56 pm
These shows is just weird, I guess.

Never saw that thing - but I can only guess it was weirder than most.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:11 pm
Can I start a letter from Oz?

Crikey, Steve Irwin here...Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:14 pm
Mac, if i am not mistaken, what you have there is a 1950's era Kix Box, and then the box they made up when it was brought out on the market again--do you know what year that was?

But i digress . . .
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:25 pm
Beth you're too much. When I saw your post with the bouncing emoticons I just cracked up. You made my day. Hugs and kisses.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:27 pm
Hey! What's this?

hody dody day,hody dooooody day.

I didn't put that in. Where did it come from?

(scratches head in bewilderment--a normal state)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:34 pm
PLEASE do not say THAT name - that S I name - to ME!
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:39 pm
Hello Wabbit. How is your wobbly self today? Did your what's up doc pull you back from death's door?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:48 pm
Yeah - back at work - gotta go in a minute...sigh...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:50 pm
I hope that you will have a good day, oh Thou Cunningest of Coneys . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:57 pm
Thankee - I am meeting with the spawn of Satan and the chiefest of all the dark, noisome brood of hell today, and it is friday 13th, but, other than that....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:59 pm
. . . you should have a luverly day . . .

gotcha, good luck . . .
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 08:27 pm
Setanta - re: the Kix boxes - I believe you are correct that those are boxes from different decades. Purely guessing, but I think that they came back in the 80s...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 07:41 am
Well, I have just performed a ritual not performed for many years - the changing to flannelette sheets for winter!

When I was little, this was a sacred ritual that heralded the advent of true winter - my mother would bring out the flannelette sheets, the flannelette dressing gown (checked and voluminous) and the thin cotton "shortie pyjamas" (little cotton bloomer pants and a light, sleeveless, smocky top - often shed as one tossed and turned one's way through a searing, mosquito-tormented and sleepless night) were surrendered for flannelette long pyjamas, or nightdress.

Now - for some reason I have longed for flannelette sheets since the cold struck - especially when I was ill. I bought some on Saturday, and have just fitted them - clearly some comfort is needed, or something is going on. I am longing to go to bed!

The flannelette denoted the fact that Winter was in situ. The smell of toasting flannelette as one huddled near the heater was a lovely one - as long as you did not actually scorch! Suddenly, Saturday afternoons were made hideous everywhere by the din of ugly football announcer voices uglily announcing football, instead of the more refined noises of cricket commentary.

One's male friends went nuts - and began to insist on doing nothing but kicking the wretched football to each other, and assaulting each other violently - and me sometimes, here is where I learned some good self-defence skills!

This was the time of year when my acceptance into the local boys' group was always challenged by boys from farther afield, as more numbers were needed for this winter form of mayhem than for summer pursuits. "You don't play with a GIRL, do you?" the cry would go up, but the heartwarming response: "She's not a GIRL, she's DEB!" would settle the matter.

Hmmmm.....

Nonetheless, it was accepted that I would not engage in such manly pursuits as killing lizards and suchlike (though I was a key member of the neighbourhood trapdoor spider removal squad - being generally much less scared of critters than any of the boys) - so I WAS a girl, really - and the boys were often secretly as happy
to join my play with dolls and such, as I was to join in the more hair-raising and dangerous pursuits they also enjoyed.

Somehow, we all knew the dolls must remain a firm secret for the boys, while my joining them for "boyish" activities was quite acceptable - although I do not think my mother was at all aware of some of the truly scary things we did after we disappeared for the day on our bicycles, not to be seen again until dinner time....

Gender roles be weird - though they have their own logic that we all know about.

Of course, the rituals of spring and summer were just as welcomed - the return to shortie pyjamas - the being allowed to go out and play after tea, because it was light - the bringing out of the little plastic pool and the sprinkler games, the BEACH! And, best of all, my male friends returned from their alien obsession with leather balls, and our normal and varied activities would resume.

The best thing about playing with my female friends is that they were not subject to this seasonal madness!
0 Replies