westboro baptist church

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:44 am
Ah. But I don't want to confuse or frustrate you with my questions about god & Christianity & hate. It's just that the importance of religion in the US is so huge compared to where I live. (Oz) And there are so many extremes! Ranging from the the incredible enlightenment & generosity of the Amish after this terrible tragedy to the hatred & extremism of the Westboro Baptists. It's rather hard to grasp.(I can't quite get my head around how entangled church & state is in the US, either.) So when I seem surprised about a hating god it's because my notion of what Christianity is is rather quaint & much more straightforward than what you folk in the US see around you all the time. It seems so complicated!
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:56 am
No worries msolga. I do understand where you are coming from. Honestly speaking... About a hundred times at least I've thought about defecting to Australia. I probably would have done it by now, except for my pets who would be hard to bring along for such a long trip. If I could find a way to make it work though I would some days!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:04 am
Don't missunderstand, hephzibah, I'm not trying to suggest Oz is perfect. We are certainly going through some troubles & upheavals right now! I'm just saying that the attitude to religion is very different. And the impact of religion is not nearly so marked here.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:10 am
LOL I know msolga. There is no perfect place in the world. Though... hmm... probably shouldn't say this... but I have this looming feeling us americans are going to get ourselves blown sky high some day when we piss a few too many other countries off all at the same time and they decide to gang up on us. Yup... I don't want to see that. Also though, Australia is just cool to me. It always has been. I love the way ya'll talk. Hehe... Though I will probably never move there I do plan on making it there for a visit some day. Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:18 am
Well, best of luck with that then, hephzibah! Very Happy

But, I should warn you that we have a prime minister who just adores George Bush & co! Where George goes, he will drag us, too! Sad

There, that's ruined things for you, hey? :wink:
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:25 am
Nice try msolga.... not a chance! :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:29 am
:wink:
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:54 am
i've tried to check out the site a few times and usually end up with my browser frozen and have to shut down my comp and start up again

i guess that's somebody's way of telling me i don't really want to know
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:57 am
Hmmm.... it could be a sign! LOL
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 07:06 pm
Anyone else get the feeling this Phred Felps guy may have experienced some "inappropriate attention" from a male at an early age?

I'll put money on it.
0 Replies

kiwimac

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 04:59 am
Hepzibah,

You could always come to New Zealand. Its like Australia but without all those darn Australians! Very Happy

Our Prime Minister, Helen Clark, has firmly kept us out of Georgie Boy's various entertainments and like Australia we are mostly secular.

Kiwimac
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 05:01 am
Kiwi

I think Helen is wonderful, too! More power to her!
0 Replies