Is evolution guided by a set of principles/laws?

stuh505

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 03:16 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
What kind of acquisition are you talking about?

The question was about acquisition of traits the way Lamarck described it.

That was spidergal's question, I don't think it was Quincy's. But in regards to that, see my prev post
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 03:29 pm
stuh505 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
No, there is no mechanism to 'acquire' traits, so there is nothing to pass on.

Once an organism is conceived, it's genetic code is fixed, the code doesn't change.

I think it would be possible to be infected by a virus that modified the DNA of reproductive cells

Yes, I've read that some viruses alter genetic coding. There's actually an interesting possibility that viruses are an active part of variation in evolution.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 03:33 pm
stuh505 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
What kind of acquisition are you talking about?

The question was about acquisition of traits the way Lamarck described it.

That was spidergal's question, I don't think it was Quincy's. But in regards to that, see my prev post

It seems that you are talking about 'acquisition' in the sense that genetic changes, although random, are acquired.

I don't consider that 'acquisition', I consider it simple change.

If Quimby was asking if there could be a genetic predisposition to random genetic changes during reproduction, then I agree with you, there are conditions for this.

However, nobody trying to understand evolution should confuse that type of acquisition with anything Lamarck was suggesting.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 03:47 pm
Quote:
Yes, I've read that some viruses alter genetic coding. There's actually an interesting possibility that viruses are an active part of variation in evolution.

I'm not sure about this, but don't we sometimes use viruses to alter our own genetic code as a means of treatment for certain diseases?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 05:09 pm
How do you explain sons or daughters of accomplished parents excelling in the fields of endeavor their parents? Archie Manning's sons come to mind _ Peyton and Levi (?).
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 06:15 pm
talk72000 wrote:
How do you explain sons or daughters of accomplished parents excelling in the fields of endeavor their parents? Archie Manning's sons come to mind _ Peyton and Levi (?).

Seems to be a perfect example of nature + nurture...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 06:46 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure about this, but don't we sometimes use viruses to alter our own genetic code as a means of treatment for certain diseases?

No.

That would be fantastic if we could. It would be the biggest medical miracle of all time.

Do you have a source that leads you to think this?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 06:48 pm
talk72000 wrote:

Smart parents. Smart kids. Plus lots of social upbringing and training.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 07:20 pm
There was a glitch in Lamarck's theory. Acquired traits are not passed on to the next (immediate next) generation.

But, I was actually referring to Neo-Lamarckism which states:

Acquired traits are not passed on to the immediate next generation but, the process is slow and it takes several generations for an acquired character to be genetically encoded.

Phylogeny of man and horse are examples.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 08:52 pm
rosborne979 wrote:

I audited biochemistry II last year just for the heck of it. I thought it was mentioned there in the class, but I could definitely be wrong, because I'm not in that field and a lot of it was over my head.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 09:32 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
stuh505 wrote:
Quote:

No.

That would be fantastic if we could. It would be the biggest medical miracle of all time.

Kind of off topic....but I've read a theory about "the flu virus" attacking cancer cells more than normal cells....(it's being trialled as a treatment) which may suggest that the reason we are still get the flu every year or so, is that it actually gives us a long term survival advantage....perhaps the same is true of other viruses providing other advantages, some of which we may have immunised against?

Somewhat relevant link : http://www.physorg.com/news5533.html
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 09:37 pm
spidergal wrote:
But, I was actually referring to Neo-Lamarckism which states:

Acquired traits are not passed on to the immediate next generation but, the process is slow and it takes several generations for an acquired character to be genetically encoded.

Phylogeny of man and horse are examples.

How so (are phylogeny of man and horse examples)?

No such mechanism for acquired traits exists (as far as I know).

If you know of a mechanism, even one which takes several generations, I would love to hear about it (as would every biologist on the planet).

Can you point me to some sources on the net? I'll be glad to do some reading if it leads to anything as earth shattering as that.
0 Replies