What is God? (Mindonfire Idea)

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 09:01 pm
Mind stated

Quote:
LOL! You don't even know who or what God is, so how do you know if it is his word?

But I must question how does any one who professes to believe in God, know that they know God?

((( -- Remember please to all, I believe in God. But I don't believe the bible is the Word of God. I believe in God because it is the only idea that makes logical sense on how the earth even exists. -- )))

Now to my question that I have posed, which was based on the question that Mindonfire asked of me.

I must admit that I don't KNOW God, I don't personally think anyone can KNOW God in a complete sense. To me God is just so far beyound our compresion or even understanding that to build any type of theory about God would be a simple and utter waste of time.

Now some things I do believe about God are:
That God is perfect balance.
That God is Love.
That God is Light. ( Not light by which we see, but light which lets us glimpse into God's true nature. )

So just that basic things I believe about God, that to me make logical sense about God, bring me to the point that I can not believe in the bible for that reason.

There is just to much hate, anger, murder, etc. for me to accept that the bible is the word of God.

So what think ye?

What is God?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 752 • Replies: 13
No top replies

neologist

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:38 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1707217#1707217
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 01:54 am

I am not asking people to define God, I am asking what God is? And that thereby presupposes that they believe in God.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 02:13 am
Recently, I have thought over this quite a lot. If you have read Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, you would understand the concept of "Infinite Intelligence".

Infinite Intelligence is an invisible force that governs the whole universe, everything in nature and consequently our lives too (Sounds a bit like Intelligent Design). Infinite intelligence exists in every atom, it directs the movement of every electron in that atom and it is this force that guides all the natural processes. I like this theory because it rules out the existence of any kind of personified form of God and saves us the effort of figuring out who or what God is.

The point is: God is a force. It's infinite intelligent.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 04:03 am
Re: What is God? (Mindonfire Idea)
Scott777ab wrote:
That God is Love.
That God is Light. ( Not light by which we see, but light which lets us glimpse into God's true nature. )

Do you ever wonder why, if God is real, you can't describe him more precisely than that?

God is a perfect balance of what?
What do you mean God is love? Do you mean God is identical to love? God = Love?
"God is Light" is a metaphor, as you have pointed out. But I'm not sure what it's a metaphor for.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:53 am
Re: What is God? (Mindonfire Idea)
Scott777ab wrote:
Mind stated

Quote:
LOL! You don't even know who or what God is, so how do you know if it is his word?

But I must question how does any one who professes to believe in God, know that they know God?

((( -- Remember please to all, I believe in God. But I don't believe the bible is the Word of God. I believe in God because it is the only idea that makes logical sense on how the earth even exists. -- )))

Now to my question that I have posed, which was based on the question that Mindonfire asked of me.

I must admit that I don't KNOW God, I don't personally think anyone can KNOW God in a complete sense. To me God is just so far beyound our compresion or even understanding that to build any type of theory about God would be a simple and utter waste of time.

That God is Love.

So just that basic things I believe about God, that to me make logical sense about God, bring me to the point that I can not believe in the bible for that reason.

There is just to much hate, anger, murder, etc. for me to accept that the bible is the word of God.

So what think ye?

What is God?

The funny thing about God is that he has been right in front of everyones faces and professing Christians have been unable to shew people who or what he is. This is most likely because they themselves do not know who or what he is. Now, for staters the Bible states that he is clearly seen. That is a pretty bold statement considering all the people who have been trying to prove that he exists.

Romans 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed [it] unto them.

Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:52 am
one of the most frequently asked questions i am asked as a Christian is ''why is there so much suffering in our world if God exists?''

my answer is this:

1) it was not meant to be this way. when God created the earth we were all supposed to live in ''heaven on earth'' in the garden of eden. but adam and eve (the little sods) ruined that for all of us and sent the world into an existence infected by sin.

2) a lot of the suffering is man made. all of the wars in history, all the recent natural disasters and all the misery in the world today is man made. so why doesn't God get involved? because he gives us the freedom of choice. if he were to stop every single disaster from happening we would be left with no doubt that God existed as there would be no death, no pain, nothing negative. it is because of our free choice that God doesn't get stuck in. the tsunami was caused by global warming - man made. all wars are result of humans making choices to attack other humans. God doesn't want us to believe in him because we 'know' he's there, that's not believing, there would be no faith involved. just fact. he wants us to choose to believe in him. he wants us to choose to live our lives by his word, not force us into it.

3) an anallergy i like to use on this is think of when a father is helping his child learn to ride a bike, the father knows that the child will fall and hurt himself, but the father does not stop this from happening because if he did the child would never learn how to ride. understand?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 02:36 pm
Quote:
I am not asking people to define God, I am asking what God is?

Hmm.. I am not asking people to define the hour, I am asking what time it is!

In the hopes that you would see clearer the nonsense of your statement. No offense.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 07:31 pm
rockpie wrote:
one of the most frequently asked questions i am asked as a Christian is ''why is there so much suffering in our world if God exists?''

my answer is this:

1) it was not meant to be this way. when God created the earth we were all supposed to live in ''heaven on earth'' in the garden of eden. but adam and eve (the little sods) ruined that for all of us and sent the world into an existence infected by sin.

2) a lot of the suffering is man made. all of the wars in history, all the recent natural disasters and all the misery in the world today is man made. so why doesn't God get involved? because he gives us the freedom of choice. if he were to stop every single disaster from happening we would be left with no doubt that God existed as there would be no death, no pain, nothing negative. it is because of our free choice that God doesn't get stuck in. the tsunami was caused by global warming - man made. all wars are result of humans making choices to attack other humans. God doesn't want us to believe in him because we 'know' he's there, that's not believing, there would be no faith involved. just fact. he wants us to choose to believe in him. he wants us to choose to live our lives by his word, not force us into it.

3) an anallergy i like to use on this is think of when a father is helping his child learn to ride a bike, the father knows that the child will fall and hurt himself, but the father does not stop this from happening because if he did the child would never learn how to ride. understand?
Good discussion on why God permits suffering:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1896154#1896154
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 11:27 pm
rockpie wrote:

my answer is this:

The problem is that most people do not understand what God's function is. Man's function lies in the earth.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 03:10 am
It is amusing to see the word 'logic' bandied about as if the original poster understood what logic constitutes.

There is nothing 'logical' about any faith based belief.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 04:04 am
neo: thanks i'll check that out.

mindonfire: that's true, people often don't realise what God is supposed to do. like he's some kind of superhero that's going to chase around after everybody making sure nobody gets hurt...
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 08:26 am
Doktor S wrote:
It is amusing to see the word 'logic' bandied about as if the original poster understood what logic constitutes.

LOL! Everybody has a religion and Everybody has a faith based belief.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 10:03 am
Doktor S wrote:

A lot depends on how you evaluate your conclusions.
0 Replies