Longer to adopt a hypoallergenic cat than a child

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 11:00 am
For a measly $4,000, a rigorous screening test and a waitlist of 2 years, you too can own one of these pets.

A small California biotech company says it has successfully found the Holy Grail of the $35 billion pet industry: a hypoallergenic cat. At the start of next year, the first kittens -- which the company calls ``lifestyle pets" -- will be delivered to eager owners who have been carefully screened and on a waiting list for more than two years.

At the start of next year, the first kittens -- which the company calls ``lifestyle pets" -- will be delivered to eager owners who have been carefully screened and on a waiting list for more than two years.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,095 • Replies: 10
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 11:04 am
I'd do it!

Seriously!

Especially if I paid the $4,000 at the END of the waiting period, rather than now...

I think cats are perfect pets for our family with only one problem -- hubby is allergic. Sozlet and I are both major animal people and are both majorly bummed that we can't get a cat. If we could get a hypoallergenic cat...

<wistful sigh>
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 11:10 am
Honestly if you are interested here is their website...

http://www.allerca.com/
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 11:17 am
The price is ridiculous but it's nice to dream. New car or new cat, hmm...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 03:24 pm
Maybe when the excitement surrounding this new type of cat dies out the costs will fall - like VCR, DVD players, etc.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 03:35 pm
I wasnt paying attention here, why exactly are they hypoallergenic? cats that is
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 12:47 pm
Cats that are specifically bred to not be allergenic. They basically do not have the dander that causes allergic reactions - the website should explain it nicely.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 04:58 pm
Why would I pay $4000 for a special breed of cat, when I can get a normal one for free to toss out my car window at 80mph?

Actually I'm allergic as hell to them. But I'm not a fan of cats anyway.
0 Replies

familytimerags

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 07:19 am
It seems that these cats have been tested for a certain protien in the saliva, that causes the allergies. They have selected cats that have a low count of this certain protien and then breed it with another selected cat with a lower amount of this protien in the saliva, and the result is kittens that can have a lower reaction in those who are severe allergy suffers around cats.
It also should be said that the cats are hypoallergenic, meaning that these cats will help some, but not all will have the same reaction. Those with severe allergies to cats, can still find to have symptoms. This also doesn't manage the shedding or dander that also comes with being a cat owner.
I personally don't agree with what this company is doing. I think people could go through allergy testing, or there are cats such as the spynx with no hair, but still may cause an allergy due to the saliva protiens.
There have been myths surrounding certain breeds of cats being hypoallergenic, but these were just myths created to further the specific breed.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 07:30 am
It took me at least twice that, in both time and money, to adopt a child but at least I'm not allergic to him.

I'd wait a few generations into a "lifestyle pet" to see what the fallout might be. Labradoodles are the hot breed of dog right now as they are non-allergenic but I hear that they are being bred at such a furious pace that the breed is becoming a disaster.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 07:53 am
boomerang wrote:
It took me at least twice that, in both time and money, to adopt a child but at least I'm not allergic to him.

I'd wait a few generations into a "lifestyle pet" to see what the fallout might be. Labradoodles are the hot breed of dog right now as they are non-allergenic but I hear that they are being bred at such a furious pace that the breed is becoming a disaster.

Definately it is much more expensive to adopt a child (but well worth the price), but depending on where, who, etc the wait time can be less than 2 years at least from two couples I know.

As I have we have no pet allergies in our family I cannot appreciate how difficult it would be - I agree I would wait and see what the outcome eventually is - also many people like to be part of a new fad so I would imagine the price and wait time will eventually decrease.
0 Replies