What is Islam?

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:23 am
Recently, we have been witnessing mutual and extremely growing dislike, if we can call it, between Western countries and Muslims'. We can say 90% of the world's news is about Islamic countries. Why is that?
It looks like most of the Muslims don't care about what is being said about them. Can we say that they are obstinate, or they are just too proud, or it is about because of something they have a strong faith in, as I have heard many of them saying?
I'm going to give a brief idea about Islam and then we can hear your opinions.
Muslims worship only one God, whom, according to them, knows everything and have the greatest power and who has created the universe. This point was one of the points the Pope spoke about in his latest speech which cause Muslims to demonstrate all over the world.
Their holy book is called Koran (Qura'an) , which is the major source of legislation for Muslims. It holds a pride of place at the very center of Muslim religious life and practice, so they try their best to memorize it. They say that it was told by God to his prophet Mohammad who thereby passed it to his followers who passed it to their sons and so one. They say that the Koran is the only true version, which is exactly the same as was told by God to the prophet.
The prophet of Islam is Muhammad. Apparently, Muslims owe him a great respect that they cannot forgive any one who disdains or hurts him, and we have all seen what happened when the Danish newspaper had drew cartoons about him. Muhammad was born in Mecca. He belonged to the clan of Hashim, a poor but respected branch of the prestigious and influential tribe of Quraysh. His father died before he was born, and after his mother's death when he was six, he was brought up by his uncle Abu Talib. He displayed an acute moral sensitivity at an early age, and he was known as al-Amin ("the trusted one"). Like his fellow tribesmen, he became a trader and made several journeys to Syria. He then began to manage the business of a rich widow, Khadija; she was greatly impressed by both his honesty and ability, and she shortly offered him marriage, which he accepted at the age of 25.
Now, back to Islam, it has five pillars.
1) pronouncing the confession of faith (shahada or kalima);
(2) performing the five daily prayers (salat);
(3) fasting during the month of Ramadan (saum);
(4) paying the alms tax (zakat);
(5) and performing, at least once in life, the major pilgrimage to Mecca (hajj).

The Place of Islam in History:
Islam is considered the fastest growing religion. Islam spread through conversion and military conquest throughout the Middle East and North Africa. By 733, just 100 years after the death of Muhammad, an ordered Islamic state stretched from India in the east to Spain in the west.
During Muhammad's time, the country, though poor, had managed to be very successful, and law was applicable to all classes of people.
The golden age, if we can call it, of the Islamic caliphate was during the early Abbasid times. The country, by that time, had settled and Muslims began to turn to science and learning, and they did it pretty well. Many Muslim scientists had a great impact on modern science. For example, Algebra; The word algebra comes from the Arabic al-jabr, meaning restoration. During the 9th century Islamic mathematicians systemized algebra, which they called the science of restoration and balancing.
Although Muslims are not now living in their golden ages as they were in the past, it is amazing to look at their history. It's an important question which needs an answer: how did Muslims maintain this happy life in the past, and what had happened that took the power form them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 989 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:52 am
Quote:
how did Muslims maintain this happy life in the past, and what had happened that took the power form them?

Good question (although this should be moved to the Religion department)

Well, i'm going to firmly put the blame on OIL!

Before the western countries started to buy oil from the East. They the Arab Easterners were actually working hard to achieve goals. Their children were sent across Europe, China... to get educated and share ideas.

Now they're hooked on oil sales and easy money, easy life, no need to work, no need for their children to get educated. They can have many wives, they sit around smoking drugs, some even drink alcohol (pretending to be good muslims). Most families are filthy rich. Basically they've been courrupted by oil. They don't care about the poor people. You have a few mega rich countries surrounded by many poor Muslim countries/people, their wealth needs to be distrubuted.

Not all Islamic countries. I'm talking about the oil rich ones. Which have the main Influence to Islam. Bush needs to kick those filthy rich corrupted Arab Sheiks (Kings), back to the future. NO where in Islam does it say that their countries must/should be ruled by Kings or Queens.
0 Replies

Proudgirl

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 02:12 pm
OH man, I'm really surprised by this response. You've got to be Arab, aren't you?
I don't know what to say.. but I can say that it's not a general rule of course.. I have a friend whose from rich countries, and in fact I believe that she is rich.. I consider here a genius. She studies translation and I hope that she might join us one day in this forum.. now, she's a hardworking young lady, whenever I talk to here I feel how serious she takes life.
but I can say that, from my observations, I have seen the majority of Muslims now don't know what they are up to.. they seem to me that they don't know why there were born, even poor ones, they just want money to come to them without any effort.
Your closing sentence was not so clear to me:

[quote]Bush needs to kick those filthy rich corrupted Arab Sheiks (Kings), back to the future[/quote].

What do you mean really by this sentence?
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 03:26 pm
Proudgirl wrote:
OH man, I'm really surprised by this response. You've got to be Arab, aren't you?
I don't know what to say.. but I can say that it's not a general rule of course.. I have a friend whose from rich countries, and in fact I believe that she is rich.. I consider here a genius. She studies translation and I hope that she might join us one day in this forum.. now, she's a hardworking young lady, whenever I talk to here I feel how serious she takes life.
but I can say that, from my observations, I have seen the majority of Muslims now don't know what they are up to.. they seem to me that they don't know why there were born, even poor ones, they just want money to come to them without any effort.
Your closing sentence was not so clear to me:

[quote]Bush needs to kick those filthy rich corrupted Arab Sheiks (Kings), back to the future

What do you mean really by this sentence? [/b][/quote]

The Saudi royal family has thousands of members and controls the country's government. Most of them are corrupted by oil wealth. Bush need to bring democracy there. It would be a great example as it's the heart of the Muslim world. Of course it won't happen, because Bush lives of them. Bush and the Saudi Royals are one big family.

I'm not an A-rab. Where are you from, and what is your religion (if you have any)?
0 Replies

Proudgirl

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 03:53 pm
well, sir.
I'm Muslim, from Syria.
But I might not be as those who you discribe... I'm so much different. I'm not prasing myself.. I won't talk so much about it, but I hope that you will notice it yourself
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 04:10 pm
Proudgirl wrote:
well, sir.
I'm Muslim, from Syria.
But I might not be as those who you discribe... I'm so much different. I'm not prasing myself.. I won't talk so much about it, but I hope that you will notice it yourself

Wow! Are you single ?

http://andromena.blogia.com/upload/love_smiley.jpg

Don't call me sir. Just say Zippo. I'm quite young.
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 04:00 am
Proudgirl wrote:
Recently, we have been witnessing mutual and extremely growing dislike, if we can call it, between Western countries and Muslims'. We can say 90% of the world's news is about Islamic countries. Why is that?
It looks like most of the Muslims don't care about what is being said about them. Can we say that they are obstinate, or they are just too proud, or it is about because of something they have a strong faith in, as I have heard many of them saying?
I'm going to give a brief idea about Islam and then we can hear your opinions.
Muslims worship only one God, whom, according to them, knows everything and have the greatest power and who has created the universe. This point was one of the points the Pope spoke about in his latest speech which cause Muslims to demonstrate all over the world.
Their holy book is called Koran (Qura'an) , which is the major source of legislation for Muslims. It holds a pride of place at the very center of Muslim religious life and practice, so they try their best to memorize it. They say that it was told by God to his prophet Mohammad who thereby passed it to his followers who passed it to their sons and so one. They say that the Koran is the only true version, which is exactly the same as was told by God to the prophet.
The prophet of Islam is Muhammad. Apparently, Muslims owe him a great respect that they cannot forgive any one who disdains or hurts him, and we have all seen what happened when the Danish newspaper had drew cartoons about him. Muhammad was born in Mecca. He belonged to the clan of Hashim, a poor but respected branch of the prestigious and influential tribe of Quraysh. His father died before he was born, and after his mother's death when he was six, he was brought up by his uncle Abu Talib. He displayed an acute moral sensitivity at an early age, and he was known as al-Amin ("the trusted one"). Like his fellow tribesmen, he became a trader and made several journeys to Syria. He then began to manage the business of a rich widow, Khadija; she was greatly impressed by both his honesty and ability, and she shortly offered him marriage, which he accepted at the age of 25.
Now, back to Islam, it has five pillars.
1) pronouncing the confession of faith (shahada or kalima);
(2) performing the five daily prayers (salat);
(3) fasting during the month of Ramadan (saum);
(4) paying the alms tax (zakat);
(5) and performing, at least once in life, the major pilgrimage to Mecca (hajj).

The Place of Islam in History:
Islam is considered the fastest growing religion. Islam spread through conversion and military conquest throughout the Middle East and North Africa. By 733, just 100 years after the death of Muhammad, an ordered Islamic state stretched from India in the east to Spain in the west.
During Muhammad's time, the country, though poor, had managed to be very successful, and law was applicable to all classes of people.
The golden age, if we can call it, of the Islamic caliphate was during the early Abbasid times. The country, by that time, had settled and Muslims began to turn to science and learning, and they did it pretty well. Many Muslim scientists had a great impact on modern science. For example, Algebra; The word algebra comes from the Arabic al-jabr, meaning restoration. During the 9th century Islamic mathematicians systemized algebra, which they called the science of restoration and balancing.
Although Muslims are not now living in their golden ages as they were in the past, it is amazing to look at their history. It's an important question which needs an answer: how did Muslims maintain this happy life in the past, and what had happened that took the power form them?

May Allah reward you for your important post. Welcome to the forum sister!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 04:13 am
The refuge of the insane.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 04:26 am
Re: What is Islam?
Proudgirl wrote:
It's an important question which needs an answer: how did Muslims maintain this happy life in the past, and what had happened that took the power form them? [/b]

Hi, and welcome to A2K Proudgirl. Smile

What is your answer to that question?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 05:08 am
Re: What is Islam?
Proudgirl wrote:

It looks like most of the Muslims don't care about what is being said about them.

Excuse me, but what friggin planet are you living on? The pope made a reference to a 700 year old quote, and half the world's muslims went rabid.

Why are there so many news stories about islam? Because they're the one's blowing up buses, and trains, and airliners.
0 Replies

Proudgirl

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 11:32 am
You made me angry zippo, but perhaps it's not your mistake. My aim was not to talk about myself really. I was referring to the statement pervious the one about me. I meant that My religion is the source of the good qualities that I possess. I meant the same when I talked about those who want everything easy. They have misunderstood their religion either deliberately or they are just ingenerates.
Then you made me really mad when you referred to Bush as the one who should teach those kings a good lesson about how should they respect the willing of their people.

We DON'T NEED BUSH TO SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS AND COME TO OCCUPY OUR CONTIRES.

But anyway, I've noticed that you know things which I haven't heard of non-Arabs before.
Talking about the oil, I really wish sometimes, when I'm so depressed about news, that we don't have oil, that we haven't discovered it.

And thanks to all of those who welcomed me. I'm really happy.

then. The answer to my question about what took the power from them is:
I think that Muslims should go back to Qura'an. they should know why they were really born. They should forget about silly things they are concerned with. Many of then now care just about leisure, fashion, TV stars. It's not bad to have your own way of enjoying yourself, but we have forgotten what's more important. How can we succeed if we have no knowledge, no interest in science and things to improve our lives? Why should we always be dependent? Unfortunately, we have abilities, but we are not making use of them.

Now the last comment.. Again my message was misinterpreted. I mean by (Not caring about what other people are saying about them): they carry on what they are doing, sometimes good things, some times bad things:
e.g. of good things: we believe in one God, shall we worship another one because the Pope said such things about us.
e.g. of bad things: we are still dependent and have no goal to accomplish (note: not all of us)
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 12:58 pm
Quote:
We DON'T NEED BUSH TO SOLVE OUR PROBLEMS AND COME TO OCCUPY OUR CONTIRES.

You're right.

Bush will just cause more problems. Laughing

What do you think about the despot rulers of some Islamic countries ?. If the Islamic people arn't willing to or don't have the power to kick them out, who will ?

I don't think these people are setting a good example of the true Islamic way of life. How do you think these people will change ?
0 Replies

lostnsearching

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 01:32 pm
islam is not a religion but a code of life which gives a great deal of freedom...compared to the previous 'religions' it's similar to all of them and actually is a modern version. islam and the Holy Quran do not speak of muslims but of HUMANS. the muslims have distorted their image. what we think about islam by looking at muslims is completely far from what it really is.
0 Replies

Proudgirl

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 10:44 am
Quote:
What do you think about the despot rulers of some Islamic countries ?. If the Islamic people arn't willing to or don't have the power to kick them out, who will ?

I don't think these people are setting a good example of the true Islamic way of life. How do you think these people will change ?

Laughing
the problem is, whenver we try, we are called terrorists Laughing

if all people think the way you do, we would have a better chance.

Sad honestly, I don't know when this will change, but I hope it will be very soon.
0 Replies