Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 03:48 pm
(The Many)

Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

In the Holy Scripture it is amazing how just a few verses can hold a mountain of information. One can actually study a verse or verses for days and discover new and important details with each passing day. As One continues to examine Matt 7:21-23, there is a word which Jesus uses which is quite disturbing. In verse 22, Jesus uses the word "many" to describe the number of Believers who will approach him to enter and who will subsequently be denied. What is very disturbing is the fact that he doesn't use the words "some" or a "few" to describe those people who will approach him. He states, "many." If One searches in Merriam Webster, they will find that one of the definitions for "many" is: the great majority of people.

So question if the great majority of people are being turned away, why is the majority assuming that they are already in there?

Even worse, why are they behaving like they are already in there?

Why are the teachers teaching that everyone who confesses Lord Lord is automatically in that kingdom?

Why are they continuing to tickle the majority's ears?

Why are they continuing to leaven the Gospels?

Definitions (Merriam Webster)
Many: (n) 1 : a large but indefinite number *a good many of them* 2 : the great majority of people *the many*

Many: (pronoun) : a large number of persons or things *many are called*

Philippians 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 664 • Replies: 18
No top replies

rockpie

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 07:36 am
boo. did i scare you? i'm new so hello and god bless.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:02 am
Glad that the two of you met. You have a lot in common. You will be able to talk with one another, nodding your heads in agreement. Bye!
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 03:19 pm
rockpie wrote:
boo. did i scare you? i'm new so hello and god bless.

And may we ask, how are you?
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 05:01 am
you may. i'm fine but frustrated that at 17 years old i can't seem to get my point across. i know that God is real and i devote my life to Him but getting other people to think like me is so difficult not because i can't answer them because in most cases i can but the people on here have more experience than i have age.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:02 am
rockpie wrote:
you may. i'm fine but frustrated that at 17 years old i can't seem to get my point across. i know that God is real and i devote my life to Him but getting other people to think like me is so difficult not because i can't answer them because in most cases i can but the people on here have more experience than i have age.
Stick around. Pay attention. You will learn.

Even when folks criticise your opinions, they are not criticising you as a person. Your participation in this board is valuable.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 11:22 am
rockpie wrote:

Just state your point. If it makes sense or if it is in tune with reality, the others will eventually come around to see it. If they don't, well, shame on them.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 09:35 pm
Quote:
So question if the great majority of people are being turned away, why is the majority assuming that they are already in there?

Because the great majority of people are self deluded into thinking that all they have to say is God forgive me and then they are in.

Quote:
Even worse, why are they behaving like they are already in there?

Delusion.

Quote:
Why are the teachers teaching that everyone who confesses Lord Lord is automatically in that kingdom?

Because the mass majority of people want to just be made to FEEL GOOD.

Quote:
Why are they continuing to tickle the majority's ears?

Because the mass majority of people want to just be made to FEEL GOOD.

Quote:
Why are they continuing to leaven the Gospels?

To make themselves seem to be better than others and IMO to become rich off of them.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:44 pm
Good post scott. Though I think it's wrong to lump most everyone (which it appears you are doing, excuse me if I'm misunderstanding please) into one category and say they are continuing to leaven the Gospels "To make themselves seem to be better than others and IMO to become rich off of them."

Granted there are many who get some sort of power high or something from "being a christian" and lording over others that they are "spiritual". I'll give you that. There are even some who have the ill intent to sap people of their money. However, I don't think "many" do. I know there are "many" who ask for money, but I think it boils down more to bad business practices than them wanting to get rich. You know, kind of like working an $8 an hour job and buying a $300,000 home then when you get the bill it's like HOLY CRAP... HELP!

It boils down to ignorance on their part because they just assume they are "doing it for the kingdom" (so to speak) so of course "God" is going to bless them and provide for all their high falooting ideas of "ministry".
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 01:52 am
hephzibah wrote:
Good post scott. Though I think it's wrong to lump most everyone into one category ......

I don't, when I say most, I mean most of those who call themselves christian.
It is a FACT that only about 5% truly actually tithe what they should.
It is a FACT that 1% are the ones who actively go out and preach the word.
So it is a FACT that 95% of those who call themselves Christain are nothing more than BENCH WARMERS.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:19 am
hephzibah wrote:
Good post scott. Though I think it's wrong to lump most everyone (which it appears you are doing, excuse me if I'm misunderstanding please) into one category and say they are continuing to leaven the Gospels "To make themselves seem to be better than others and IMO to become rich off of them."

Granted there are many who get some sort of power high or something from "being a christian" and lording over others that they are "spiritual". I'll give you that. There are even some who have the ill intent to sap people of their money. However, I don't think "many" do. I know there are "many" who ask for money, but I think it boils down more to bad business practices than them wanting to get rich. You know, kind of like working an $8 an hour job and buying a $300,000 home then when you get the bill it's like HOLY CRAP... HELP!

It boils down to ignorance on their part because they just assume they are "doing it for the kingdom" (so to speak) so of course "God" is going to bless them and provide for all their high falooting ideas of "ministry".

The Danger of blissful ignorance.

Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:20 am
Scott777ab wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Good post scott. Though I think it's wrong to lump most everyone into one category ......

So it is a FACT that 95% of those who call themselves Christain are nothing more than BENCH WARMERS.

Sad but True.
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:38 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
hephzibah wrote:

Sad but True.

This is beginning to SCARE me, to many people have been agreeing with me. I am in total shock over this.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 07:09 pm
my only point here is about the first post where you define the word "many" and your argument takes off from there.

I'm willing to bet MW wasn't the dictionary of choice at the time of writing, or at the time of translating. You assume an awful lot.

It could have happened this way: Perhaps someone was rubbing his eyeball, misread a letter and wrote "many" instead of "few"...(as in NONE instead of ONE)...

Wouldn't that change things slightly?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 07:24 pm
Interesting point there, Mame; but the history of those calling themselves christian would seem to validate the 'many'.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 07:38 pm
There's an argument for anyone who wishes it.

It's extremely difficult to make definitive statements that are definitely, without exception or question, right or true.

It is from this premise that I question, especially something that is said to have been written so long ago, in a language that was quite fluid, and then translated by so many. Ah! There's that word again! :wink:
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:52 pm
Scott777ab wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
hephzibah wrote:

Sad but True.

This is beginning to SCARE me, to many people have been agreeing with me. I am in total shock over this.

LOL it happens scott. Just don't get too used to it! :wink:
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 11:15 pm
Mame wrote:
my only point here is about the first post where you define the word "many" and your argument takes off from there.

I'm willing to bet MW wasn't the dictionary of choice at the time of writing, or at the time of translating. You assume an awful lot.

It could have happened this way: Perhaps someone was rubbing his eyeball, misread a letter and wrote "many" instead of "few"...(as in NONE instead of ONE)...

Wouldn't that change things slightly?

For your convinience, here is the the Strong's Definition of Greek. We see a huge difference.

Strong's Greek Definition

4183 // poluv // polus // pol-oos' //

including the forms from the alternate pollos; TDNT - 6:536,*; adj

AV - many 210, much 73, great 59, misc 23; 365

1) many, much, large
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 01:45 am
hephzibah wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:
Scott777ab wrote:
hephzibah wrote:

Sad but True.

LOL it happens scott. Just don't get too used to it! :wink:

Ahhh did you have to go and burst my bubble already?
Sad
0 Replies