Humane slaughtering is still killing

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 03:37 am
An interesting article caught my eye today on the BBC website....

Halal and Kosher slaughter 'must end'

In short, an independent advisory group is advocating the banning of killing animals by the halal and kosher methods, as prescribed in the Islamic and Jewish culture. They claim that the animals are in a lot of pain before they die and hence this method of slaughtering animals is inhumane.

Some key points from the article...

One worshipper at the Central London Mosque told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "Everything about the Islamic way of life is under attack so it makes you wonder if this is actually about humanity to animals

This is already taking on a religious hue - which I believe is fully justified.

Peter Jinman, president of the British Veterinary Association said vets respected people's religious beliefs, but urged Muslims to be respectful of animals too.

I just find this too funny. "respectful of animals" indeed. If you are killing an animal, it is gonna die, whether u use a stun gun or slit its throat. How does "respect" come into this ?

"We're looking at what is acceptable in the moral and ethical society we live in," he told Today.

Is he saying that some religious beliefs are not "moral and ethical" ? Are "moral and ethical" beliefs a domain of one particular religion/way of thinking only ??

Please note that this is not a tirade against non vegetarians or any particular group. Even as a non islamic, non jewish person, these kind of "pseudo moralistic" issues make me sick. They serve no other purpose but to increase the tensions between various relgions/cultures which we are trying so hard to avoid. Clearly, these people have nothing much to do.

Thoughts ? Comments ??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,325 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 05:26 am
My understanding that Kosher slaughtering was mandated for the sole purpose of rendering the least suffering to the animals. I think that there is another agenda afoot.

http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/Judaism/kashrut.html#Shechitah

Quote:
Kosher slaughtering
The mammals and birds that may be eaten must be slaughtered in accordance with Jewish law. (Deut. 12:21). We may not eat animals that died of natural causes (Deut. 14:21) or that were killed by other animals. In addition, the animal must have no disease or flaws in the organs at the time of slaughter. These restrictions do not apply to fish; only to the flocks and herds (Num. 11:22).
Ritual slaughter is known as shechitah, and the person who performs the slaughter is called a shochet, both from the Hebrew root Shin-Chet-Tav, meaning to destroy or kill. The method of slaughter is a quick, deep stroke across the throat with a perfectly sharp blade with no nicks or unevenness. This method is painless, causes unconsciousness within two seconds, and is widely recognized as the most humane method of slaughter possible.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 09:48 am
Quote:
"There is no imperative for Muslims or Judaists to eat meat produced in this manner," said spokesman Roy Saich.

"There is no reason why they should not simply abstain from eating meat altogether if they do not wish to eat the same meat as the rest of us."

Eh? Forced assimilation, anyone?

At any rate, I have no idea what conditions are like on British factory farms -- but I find it hard to believe, however much better they may be than they are in America -- that the animals aren't suffering through a great deal of their lives. Why so much emphasis just on the final moment?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 04:18 pm
Well, who says throat-slitting is painless? I guess the animals cannot scream once their throat is slit, that is for sure.

I have no idea whethere there is another agenda or not.

I would, however, strongly advocate that the most painless and least traumatic method of killing be used in the case of any animal - and I do not, frankly, give a tuppenny smeg what that method is, so long as it is the least traumatic, nor do I give a rat's arse about putting people's religious sensibilities above animal suffering.

I do, however, take Patio's point about animal suffering in factory farms etc - which is why I will not eat meat produced in this way.

I certainly think the trip to the abbatoir and the lining up to be slaughtered must be terribly distressing to animals. One would hope that the work of people like temple Grandison would be taken into account in designing such facilities - but I fear, at least in this country, it is not.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:39 pm
Phoenix began her reference with the comment:

My understanding that Kosher slaughtering was mandated for the sole purpose of rendering the least suffering to the animals. I think that there is another agenda afoot.

Yes, I believe there is definitely another agenda and I don't think I have to guess what it is Rolling Eyes . I do, however, have to thank Phoenix for having the decency to provide her observation; Phoenix, you are a real mensch :wink: .
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 07:06 pm
Seems that some animals die are more 'humane' death than some people on this planet. Something just doesn't seem to jive. c.i.
0 Replies