Racist horror on Palm Island?

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 03:25 am

In Melbourne last week, an astonishing video showing police bashing and threatening a suspect in order to "gather evidence" was shown in an Office of Police Integrity hearing. The emergence of the crude police tactics generated a great deal of media and public anger - not against the police but the "fairness" of the legal forum that produced the video.

In Townsville yesterday, a coroner found that a police officer was responsible for the death of an Aboriginal man on Palm Island after a kicking assault which split the man's liver in two. But it now seems unlikely that the Queensland DPP will be able to proceed with charges against the policeman because of different evidentiary standards between an inquest and a criminal trial.

The face of Australia 2006? When police bash suspects or kill an Aborigine, not only is the law apparently incapable of dealing with the offenders but the media and public support is in favour of ... the offenders.

3. Beattie in choppy waters over Palm Island
Mark Bahnisch writes:

Peter Beattie probably wishes that global warming would lead to Palm Island being submerged by the ocean. The troubled Indigenous community on the Island - and their interactions with police - have spelled intermittent political trouble for Beattie.

Early in 2005, Beattie was cleared by the Crime and Misconduct Commission of a bribery complaint brought against him by Palm Island Council. Beattie had forgiven a debt owed by the Council in return for community support for his plans to ease tensions with police. The death of Aboriginal man Mulrunji in November 2004 led to angry scenes, with the cop shop in flames, and Indigenous activist Murandoo Yanner threatening "payback".

Acting State Coroner Christine Clements has now concluded the inquest into Mulrunji's death in custody. She found that Senior Sergeant Chris Hurley caused Mulrunji's death through an assault which split his liver in two. Legal considerations mean that Clements cannot recommend Hurley be prosecuted.

The findings have been referred to the DPP. But Clements has also made a range of strong recommendations designed to avoid future deaths in custody. The Palm Island community, and other Indigenous leaders, have welcomed the outcome of the inquest as a step towards justice.

It's likely that different evidentiary standards between an inquest and a criminal trial will see the DPP not proceed with charges. Beattie faces an unenviable political position in all this.

The Police Union is a powerful force in state politics. In Judy Spence, Beattie has finally found a Minister the Union is happy with, though civil libertarians would say too happy. Spence is being reported this morning as describing many of the recommendations as "unworkable" and the Union has charged that the inquest was a political witch hunt.

But, similar to the Noongar decision in WA, Beattie faces strong pressure to act on the recommendations from the Indigenous community and within the ALP. At this stage, Beattie is talking due process in terms of the DPP and studying the recommendations. Of course, many are not dissimilar from those made by the Deaths in Custody Royal Commission 15 years ago and still not implemented.

Beattie will need all his political skills to navigate these choppy waters. One of his first post-election announcements was the abolition of a separate Department of Indigenous Affairs. He might be regretting that now. A Minister to take the heat on this one could be useful, particularly if Island tensions erupt again should charges not be laid.

Is this twenty first century Australia?

I wanna die.

I will search for other sources re this, and post them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,312 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 03:32 am
Bun-Huns - if rounding up 'darkies' and sending them to Nauru would be a hit with the electorate they'd be doing that too.

This nation has gone beyond 'the dogs' it has reverted to a wolfish, proto-dog ancestor with none of the nicer traits of dogs in general*.

*huntin' rabbits for one, leading the blind and finding drugs too.... I suppose
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 03:33 am
Is Australia now im imitating the USA? Sanctions of torture against terrorism suspects next?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 03:49 am
Huh?

No.

If you do not consider splitting livers unpunished because of legal crap torture, what is?

This has nothing to do with terrorism.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 03:57 am
I think you misunderstood me, Deb. I was commiserating.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 04:00 am
Looks like she doesn't read your commiserating posts, MA!
(Don't misunderstand me!)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 04:57 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
I think you misunderstood me, Deb. I was commiserating.

I know.

It's just that we do not need to follow America in inflicting stuff.

Humans do it on their own...they do not need to follow other humans.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 07:04 pm
Yuck.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 02:47 am
And Queensland government tries to handle issue:

Tensions erupt over Palm Island findings

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie has urged all parties to "cool it" as he seeks to quell the public furore sparked by a coroner's findings into an indigenous man's death in custody on Palm Island.

Indigenous leaders and the member for Townsville, Mike Reynolds, have criticised police commissioner Bob Atkinson's decision not to stand down the officer at the centre of the storm, Senior Sergeant Chris Hurley.

The state's police union, meanwhile, again has attacked deputy state coroner Christine Clements's controversial findings on the death of Mulrunji Doomadgee, accusing her of having an anti-police agenda.

But Mr Beattie called on both sides to exercise restraint.

"It is absolutely essential that we all moderate our comments in relation to these matters, particularly in respect of the coroner, until we see what the Director of Public Prosecutions is going to say," he said.

"I think everyone should just cool it. Let due process take its course."

Ms Clements ruled on Wednesday that Sgt Hurley was responsible for the death of Mulrunji in the Palm Island watchhouse in November 2004.

She found Sgt Hurley had struck Mulrunji, causing fatal injuries, and ruled his arrest for drunk and disorderly was unnecessary.

A post-mortem examination revealed Mulrunji had four broken ribs, a ruptured spleen and a liver almost split in half.

She did not recommend charges against the officer, however, instead referring the matter to the DPP, who is considering the matter.

Townsville state Labor MP Mike Reynolds said the past two years had been stressful for Palm Islanders and repeated a call for Sgt Hurley to be stood down.

"I think the people of Palm Island over the last two years have gone to hell and back," he said.

"This has been a traumatic and emotional time for the island as a whole.

"We've now seen the report come down and I have called on the Police Commissioner (Bob Atkinson) to stand down Senior Sergeant Chris Hurley."

Mr Reynolds said Mr Atkinson's decision to place Sgt Hurley on non-operational duties was not severe enough.

He also said he was disturbed by comments from the Queensland Police Union that labelled Ms Clements's findings as a "witch hunt".

"I would hate to see Queensland go back to pre-Fitzgerald (Inquiry) days when the Queensland Police Union is trying to question the independence of a judicial officer in such an important issue for the indigenous residents on Palm Island," Mr Reynolds said.

Mr Beattie said the government would implement most of the 40 recommendations made by Ms Clements.

But the government could not ensure watchhouses in remote centres were monitored around the clock and had no plans to decriminalise public drunkenness.

The first suggestion was unworkable, while the second was not in the public interest, Mr Beattie said.

Article

I would hate to be the Director of Public Prosecutions in the eye of this storm.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 06:38 am
The following extract is taken from Wikipedia regarding Palm Island.

"The Island is a classic 'tropical paradise' in its natural endowments, but has had a troubled human history. Palm Island is now home to 4,000 Indigenous Australians, making it the largest Aboriginal community in Australia. The community, deriving from about 42 mainland tribes, suffers from chronic alcohol, drug and domestic abuse, has an unemployment rate of 90% and an average life expectancy of 50 years, thirty less than the national average. In 1999, the Guinness Book of Records listed Palm Island as the most violent place on earth outside a combat zone.

Criminologist Dr Paul Wilson found Palm Island to have one of the highest rates of violent crime anywhere in the developed world and possibly in the undeveloped world as well. He suggested that the most plausible explanation of the homicide and assault rates lies with the recent destruction and disorganisation of traditional society that accompanied white settlement and conquest."

A few years ago I saw a documentary on the island. The crime situation is terrible - no attempt is made by the criminal elements to hide their activities. Because of the high unemployment, nearly everyone receives the dole. Extortion gangs just do the rounds every fortnight forcing people to sign over their dole money, and if they have already signed it over to someone else, they get beaten up for their trouble.

I just cannot believe that the Queensland Government seems to have done nothing to address the problems facing Palm Islanders.

I am by no means trying to justify Senior Sergeant Chris Hurley's vicious attack on Mulrunji Doornadgee, however I think we are entitled to hear the full story of how the killing happened.

I see the actual killing as one burst pustule on the deep-seated infection that is Palm Island.

It sounds as though there is insufficient and ineffectual policing of the island. Again, I am not trying to defend the police, but one wonders what strategies are in place to control and combat crime on the island, to protect the victims of the criminals, to encourage and assist the islanders to have better lives. Obviously, when trouble does erupt, the police are going to be involved.

Mr Beattie is quoted as saying -
".....But the government could not ensure watchhouses in remote centres were monitored around the clock and had no plans to decriminalise public drunkenness.

The first suggestion was unworkable, while the second was not in the public interest,"
Mr Beattie said.

Given the problems Palm Islanders are experiencing, surely it is the Government's responsibility to ensure watchhouses ARE in fact monitored around the clock if necessary and that something proactive is done about the drunkenness.

It is the responsibility of the Queensland Government to come up with suggestions that ARE workable and that ARE in the public interest.

Palm Island is a disgrace.

As Mark Bahnisch wrote:

.... At this stage, Beattie is talking due process in terms of the DPP and studying the recommendations. Of course, many are not dissimilar from those made by the Deaths in Custody Royal Commission 15 years ago and still not implemented.

A bloody disgrace.

However guilty Sgt Hurley may be - the buck stops with Beattie. He is more responsible. He can call up the necessary resources and he has been there long enough to get the job done.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 01:38 am
I've followed this case from the start, and I'm not happy with the outcome.

From my humble position of observer, rather than activist, I can see three alternatives.

1. Remove all non-indigenes from Palm Island, and leave these people to experience life as true indigenous hunter/gatherers.

2. Remove all access to alcohol on Palm Island, for both indigenous and non-indegenous peoples.

3. Prosecute Sgt. Hurley on a manslaughter charge, and see all subsequent Police officers on the island, take the blame for his actions. (as if they aren't going to cop the fallout anyway)

Alcohol is the major issue here people, second only to zero employment prospects.

If you want to get ahead in life, why live where there is zero chance of seeking gainful employment?

If you choose to drink away your welfare cheque, and expect someone else to educate and feed your children, you get what you are given.

Hurley and his ilk are chosen for these positions because they are physically able to deal with drunken violence.

Nobody knows what happened in that cell that day, except for Hurley.

I do know that broken ribs are possible in a fall, but a split liver is not.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 2 Feb, 2007 04:49 am
This is a link to the coroners findings :

http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/courts/coroner/findings/mulrunji270906.pdf

The injury that killed Mulrunji is a liver cleaved in two, hanging by only a few blood vessels. The damage was caused by the liver being compressed against the spine with such force that it split in half. This is only possible if the front rib cage is compressed almost against the rear ribcage.

The coroner 'found' that this compression was caused by a punch. Whether you believe even Mike Tyson is capable of such a punch, such a finding will always be open to conjecture, and is opinion only. The retired judge, Sir Lawrence Street, who eventually recommended charges be laid, disagrees with the coroner that a punch could have caused the injury, believing that it was caused by a knee during a fall, when Snr Sgt Hurley and Mulrunji fell over together, at the entrance to the watchhouse (though I do not remember any party having ever made such a claim)

What is not included in the findings, is that Mulrunji was involved in a traffic accident the day before his untimely death
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 10:18 am
vikorr wrote:
This is a link to the coroners findings :

http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/courts/coroner/findings/mulrunji270906.pdf

The injury that killed Mulrunji is a liver cleaved in two, hanging by only a few blood vessels. The damage was caused by the liver being compressed against the spine with such force that it split in half. This is only possible if the front rib cage is compressed almost against the rear ribcage.

The coroner 'found' that this compression was caused by a punch. Whether you believe even Mike Tyson is capable of such a punch, such a finding will always be open to conjecture, and is opinion only. The retired judge, Sir Lawrence Street, who eventually recommended charges be laid, disagrees with the coroner that a punch could have caused the injury, believing that it was caused by a knee during a fall, when Snr Sgt Hurley and Mulrunji fell over together, at the entrance to the watchhouse (though I do not remember any party having ever made such a claim)

What is not included in the findings, is that Mulrunji was involved in a traffic accident the day before his untimely death

On the "traffic accident", if his liver was split by impacting a car the previous day, he would not have lived more than a couple of hours, and his ribcage would have been shattered.

You can't breathe properly with broken ribs, and you certainly can't fart, cough, or sneeze, let alone participate in a fight.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 11 Feb, 2007 12:30 am
I understand that much. What I don't know is if his liver could be ruptured in an accident, and then a fall do the rest? (because it is at the point of the fall that Mulrunji stopped struggling). As for the breathing difficulty of broken ribs, the decease was highly intoxicated at time of death - which may have disguised isuch.

Hurley may or may not be guilty of causing the injuries. My problem with the whole matter is imagining any person being capable of applying enough force to cause a liver to be cleaved in two. I would come back to World Champion Boxers, no rules fighters and martial artists - I've never heard of a similar injury being caused by one of them (then again, maybe it's simply as I said - I just haven't heard)

The officer in question had also dedicated most of his working life to serving in Aboriginal communities. It seems odd that he should suddenly decide he dislikes aboriginals enough to bash one of them to death.

That Mulrunji wrestled with him is hardly an unusual occurence for any police officer, let alone one working on Palm Island (Palm Island, in one international (not Australian) study, was found to be the most violent place on earth, outside of a warzone).

The 'witness' who allegedly saw Hurley punching the deceased changed his story on a number of occasions, and also had reason to be vindictive towards Hurley, who had that day been investigating a domestic violence case against this witness.

The coroner who found that Hurley had caused Mulrunji's death by a punch is about the only one of an opinion that a punch could cause such injuries (A female coroner, who in my opinion didn't understand the the level of force required to rupture the liver vs the level of force a punch can deliver). The retired justice that recommended he stand trial said it was caused by a knee (though I recall no mention of any allegation of a knee).

The retired justice recommended these charges. It is the first case in Queensland history, where the ruling of the DPP has been overruled by politicians (and the DPP, knowing the sensitivity of this case, already had an independant justice review the case before publicly releasing it's ruling)

The DPP's ruling was that there was not enough evidence for Hurley to stand trial.

The retired justice (effectively a third opinion), who is a highly respected legal mind, is also known for his pro aboriginal stance (this is just information. Whether or not it effects a ex-justices decision is open to debate - likely in the negative).

Whether or not Hurley did in fact cause the injuries will probably only ever been known by one person - Hurley.

The police officers who work with Hurley would know his character, but if they spoke for him (re his character), no one would believe them, and I doubt any officer, not knowing the circumstances, would speak against him.
0 Replies

vikorr

I understand that much. What I don't know is if his liver could be ruptured in an accident, and then a fall do the rest? (because it is at the point of the fall that Mulrunji stopped struggling). As for the breathing difficulty of broken ribs, the decease was highly intoxicated at time of death - which may have disguised isuch.

Hurley may or may not be guilty of causing the injuries. My problem with the whole matter is imagining any person being capable of applying enough force to cause a liver to be cleaved in two. I would come back to World Champion Boxers, no rules fighters and martial artists - I've never heard of a similar injury being caused by one of them (then again, maybe it's simply as I said - I just haven't heard)

The officer in question had also dedicated most of his working life to serving in Aboriginal communities. It seems odd that he should suddenly decide he dislikes aboriginals enough to bash one of them to death.

That Mulrunji wrestled with him is hardly an unusual occurence for any police officer, let alone one working on Palm Island (Palm Island, in one international (not Australian) study, was found to be the most violent place on earth, outside of a warzone).

The 'witness' who allegedly saw Hurley punching the deceased changed his story on a number of occasions, and also had reason to be vindictive towards Hurley, who had that day been investigating a domestic violence case against this witness.

The coroner who found that Hurley had caused Mulrunji's death by a punch is about the only one of an opinion that a punch could cause such injuries (A female coroner, who in my opinion didn't understand the the level of force required to rupture the liver vs the level of force a punch can deliver). The retired justice that recommended he stand trial said it was caused by a knee (though I recall no mention of any allegation of a knee).

The retired justice recommended these charges. It is the first case in Queensland history, where the ruling of the DPP has been overruled by politicians (and the DPP, knowing the sensitivity of this case, already had an independant justice review the case before publicly releasing it's ruling)

The DPP's ruling was that there was not enough evidence for Hurley to stand trial.

The retired justice (effectively a third opinion), who is a highly respected legal mind, is also known for his pro aboriginal stance (this is just information. Whether or not it effects a ex-justices decision is open to debate - likely in the negative).

Whether or not Hurley did in fact cause the injuries will probably only ever been known by one person - Hurley.

The police officers who work with Hurley would know his character, but if they spoke for him (re his character), no one would believe them, and I doubt any officer, not knowing the circumstances, would speak against him.
0 Replies

vikorr

The retired justice (effectively a third opinion), who is a highly respected legal mind, is also known for his pro aboriginal stance (this is just information. Whether or not it effects a ex-justices decision is open to debate).

0 Replies

vikorr

The retired justice (effectively a third opinion), who is a highly respected legal mind, is also known for his pro aboriginal stance (this is just information. Whether or not it effects a ex-justices decision is open to debate).

0 Replies

vikorr

0 Replies

vikorr

0 Replies

vikorr

0 Replies