LUCK

baddog1

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 06:44 pm
Good or bad - why do some get/have more than others?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 862 • Replies: 13
No top replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:20 pm
Two schools of thought.

*It's just a matter of chance. Someone people are just born lucky. Co-incidence after co-incidence just keep happening and they keep getting lucky.....

*The harder you work the luckier you get. Some people, by virtue of their positive thinking habits and organised "karma", attract good luck.

My life is a blend of both the kinds. I have seen how my preparedness, sometimes, had paid me in form of luck when some oppurtunity struck right then. There also have been instances where I was saved disgrace or got lucky for no reason. So, as a final thought, I would say, people who work hard, do all the right things attract luck deservedly and along the way co-incidences might also occur. Smile
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:54 pm
My socks and shoes always match
Is it luck?
Theres a foot at the end of each of my legs
Is it luck? I can play my bass for you
Is it luck? some gals like to kiss my face
Is it luck? is it luck?
There was food inside your mouth today
Is it luck? your barber cuts your hair just so
Is it luck? when the taste of sex is on your lips
Is it luck? is it luck?

Cyanide works oh so fast
Is it luck? polyester makes you sweat
Is it luck? if a graham cracker gets you off
Is it luck
Love. love?
Is it luck? is it luck?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:59 pm
I was hit by a meteorite when I was a kid and I always considered that incident to mean that I was born with good luck.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 08:04 pm
I have been meaning to apologize to you for hitting you with that rock when you were a kid. My mom took my slingshot if its any consolation.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 04:19 am
"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 05:22 am
I believe in chance and hard work...

Some people seem lucky to you, but you don't see, how much effort they put into getting what they want.
Some people constantly bitch about how bad they have it, but fail to see, that a dent in the car is not the end of the world.
Some people have a really hard time, but you never hear them complain.
Some people just see the good in everything.
Some people choose to see the bad.

I think in the end it really comes down to chance and your attitude towards everything.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 05:33 am
Re: LUCK
baddog1 wrote:
they dont.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 05:36 am
Yep, chance or hard work.
Then again I thnk good things do come to succesful, happy people.Others seem to want to do good for them.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 07:45 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
they dont.

Interesting thought - please expound.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 08:19 am
baddog1 wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
they dont.

I dont think its possible to divide people into lucky and unlucky. Supposing you took a group of people who undoubtedly had had some bad experiences in their life which could be attributed to bad luck...the Unluckies...and a group of people who felt themselves to be the Luckies.

If you gave them each the same amount of money to spend on the lottery, overall the Luckies would win no more or no less than the Unluckies.

[Except the Unluckies would probably lose their ticket....Smile]
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 09:34 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
they dont.

I dont think its possible to divide people into lucky and unlucky. Supposing you took a group of people who undoubtedly had had some bad experiences in their life which could be attributed to bad luck...the Unluckies...and a group of people who felt themselves to be the Luckies.

If you gave them each the same amount of money to spend on the lottery, overall the Luckies would win no more or no less than the Unluckies.

[Except the Unluckies would probably lose their ticket....Smile]

The lotto analogy sounds OK, but is based on assumption and a bit of probability. Eventually someone will win the pot - is that person(s) "lucky"?

Down here in Florida - it's common knowledge that drug dealers in south FL have won a large number of Lotto drawings due to mathematical probabilities. (Utilizing large amounts of dirty-cash to buy tickets) However, there are those who win despite spending much less on tickets than the dealers - are they lucky? Were the dealers then unlucky? (Especially if they lost a winning ticket!) :wink:

Are those who are born into fortunate situations and/or with superior physical attributes lucky? (And conversely those born into awful situations - unlucky?) ie: Shac Oneal, Dale Earnhardt Jr, Paris Hilton, children from the projects, drug-addicted children, etc.
0 Replies

raddbj03

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 11:40 pm
meh
perspective is all that luck is...

i find a $100 bill on the ground - what a lucky day, huh

bill gates finds one on the ground - not a lucky day (not an unlucky one either, though)
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 08:26 pm
Quote:
I was hit by a meteorite when I was a kid and I always considered that incident to mean that I was born with good luck.

Now that's a one in a trillion. Unless someone threw it at you. Smile

Sometimes I wonder if luck is not a mindset. An ability to see things with a mind unbound by expectation, able to turn things to a positive outcome.
0 Replies