Texas teacher suspended after student sees nude statue.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 08:05 pm
Yes, eva, she says, swatting flames out of her hair...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 08:10 am
That school board should be disciplined. Haven't they heard of ART? Ye gods. You gotta wonder at some of the backwards things that happen.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 08:14 am
These are probably the same type of yahoos who would put a fig leaf on Michalangelo's David-- or hide the bare-bosomed statue of Justice behind a curtain-- and how's THAT for an unintended statement of subconscious intentions?!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 08:19 am
Bet they don't feed their kids bodies any better than they do their minds.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 08:55 am
Frisco is the fastest growing community in Texas. It's upper middle class suburbia. Prime evangelical territory. These aren't uneducated hicks, they're just rightwingers. Think John Ashcroft. He would be at home there.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 08:56 am
Ah, thank you. Puts a completely different light on it ... more closed minds than no minds. I don't know who John Ashcroft is, anyway! Cool
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 10:42 pm
A summary of the latest news in today's The Guardian:

Quote:
Texas teacher sacked in row over gallery nudes

· Parent complains after visit to art museum
· Row over sculpture only part of story, says school

Claims by a Texas schoolteacher that she was sacked after allowing her pupils to see a nude art work during a museum field trip have led to a frenzy of hand-wringing across the US.
A parent complained that his child had been exposed to "an abstract nude" - a Greek funerary relief from 4BC depicting a marble torso.

Later, the teacher, Sydney McGee, was sacked from the school in Frisco, a suburb of Dallas.

Article continues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the school board, battling against criticism from the New York Times and others, has continued to defend itself, claiming that the row over nude sculpture told only part of the story.
Ms McGee took 89 students aged nine and 10 from Fisher elementary school and 12 parents around the Dallas Museum of Art in April.

Following the complaint, she was sent a formal letter from the headteacher that said: "During a study trip that you planned for fifth graders, students were exposed to nude statues and other nude art representations."

Ms McGee has insisted she was picked upon on the grounds of prudery. "We have a lot of sporting things in Frisco, with the soccer and the baseball. But not a lot of those kids go to the museum," she said.

But the Frisco school board claims that she has whipped up a flurry of media coverage which is far from the truth.

"The district is disappointed and concerned that Ms McGee continues to mislead the public and, more importantly, that the major media networks in America continue to ignore the facts that they have gathered," a spokesman said.

He added: "We have been taking students to the Dallas Museum of Art for years and will continue to do so. No teacher has ever been fired for taking a field trip to the museum."

The school alludes to other complaints against Ms McGee, but says it cannot go into details because of confidentiality agreements. It has only suggested that the teacher wore flip-flops to work and did not plan the field trip sufficiently.

The teacher disputes all these claims. Ms McGee's lawyer, Rogge Dunn, told the Guardian: "If the museum trip had nothing to do with it, why did the principal give Ms McGee a dressing down about it the day after the trip and why did they put it in writing a couple of weeks later?"

The plot has thickened further after the Dallas Morning News revealed that eight years ago the teacher accepted an $8,300 (£4,446) settlement to leave a teaching job in a neighbouring school district. The cause of the settlement is not known.

The disclosure led the newspaper to ask: "Was a Frisco art teacher pushed out of a job over a flap about nude art, or is the national media spotlight shining in the wrong place?"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 11:05 pm
Plot thickens...
0 Replies

kiwimac

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 12:49 am
OMG,

They saw an abstract nude? How in God's name do you do an abstract nude?
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 12:57 am
I really love the school board's explanation.

It wasn't that the kids saw a nude.

It was because the teacher wore flipflops to work.

My god, that's flat out HEINOUS. She should be drawn and quartered for that. She should have the CIA rendition her to a secret Syrian torture chamber for that. Flipflops. No wonder she was canned. Texas justice is swift and sure. No wonder W derives his concept of justice from swift sure Texas pro-action.
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 01:33 am
A teacher wearing flipflops. That's just SICK!!! Who knows how it will corrupt our children to see a nearly naked foot.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 08:14 am
kiwimac wrote:
OMG,

Well, the paint DOES get everywhere, so you need a brush with a long handle.

And sunscreen. Lots and lots of sunscreen! Laughing
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 08:22 am
Actually there is more to this story than prudery

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,1891616,00.html

Francis if you are a pervert I am a criminal - I have the original.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 08:25 am
kiwimac wrote:
OMG,

No difficult. 1. Take all your clothes off 2. Paint
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 08:30 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Francis if you are a pervert I am a criminal - I have the original.

I knew it already but I'm not a delator.. :wink:

Steve 41oo wrote:
No difficult. 1. Take all your clothes off 2. Paint.

Yes but in Picasso way...
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 10:30 am
kiwimac wrote:
OMG,

http://www.oraculartree.com/duchamp_NudeDescendingStaircaseNo2.jpg

Duchamps--"Nude Descending a Staircase" Shocking, eh?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 10:33 am
Agggghhh! My eyes! My eyes!

And I can just feel my moral fiber deteriorating as we speak....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 10:35 am
And now try it again but wearing flipflops this time!
0 Replies