Boy aged three buys £9,000 car on internet

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:24 pm
Quote:
Boy aged three buys £9,000 car on internet

Press Association
Tuesday September 26, 2006
The Guardian

A three-year-old boy used his mother's computer to buy a £9,000 car on the internet auction site eBay.
Jack Neal's parents discovered their son's successful bid when they received a congratulations message from the website about the pink Nissan Figaro.

Rachel Neal, 36, told the Sun: "We couldn't understand what was happening. Neither of us had bought anything. So we checked and saw it was a Barbie-pink car which we'd bought for £8,999. We flew into a panic."

The following morning Jack woke and told his parents: "I've bought a car."
Mrs Neal, of Sleaford, Lincolnshire, told the newspaper she thought she had left her eBay password in her computer. She said: "Jack's a whizz on the PC and just pressed all the right buttons."

Her husband, John, 37, called the seller of the car and explained the mistake. "Luckily he saw the funny side and said he would readvertise," Mrs Neal said.

The seller of the soft-top second-hand car, which has a 1.0-litre turbo-charged engine, said yesterday that he had been amused by the bid.

Paul Jones, co-director of Worcester Road Motors, Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, said: "I had a phone call explaining what had happened and as soon as I heard it was a young boy who had done it by mistake I cancelled the bid and readvertised the car, which is very collectable.

"He must have good taste in cars. We've all got children and they do silly things at times, so it was no problem."

It was the first time the car dealership had sold a car on the site, Mr Jones said.

The car, which had been imported from Japan and refurbished, is available on eBay at a starting price of £7,999.
Source

http://i19.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/71/f1/86_12.JPG

http://i17.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/73/01/b3_12.JPG
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 817 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Chai

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 04:40 am
I'm skeptical.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 05:46 am
Chai Tea wrote:
I'm skeptical.

Hmm - there's one a bit cheaper. But that auction ends quite soon :wink:
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 06:02 am
My first thought: No way!

A three year old logs onto Ebay, finds the car, types a price that fits the demands and is aware, that he is just buying a car!

I don't think so!

That's just the seller, trying to make his car more interesting.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 01:05 pm
It's the buyer, having second thoughts and blaming it on the kid!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 02:10 pm
Nine grand for that heap.

Somebody's kidding. Maybe The Guardian.
0 Replies