Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 09:08 am
This looks cool to me, what do you think?

Link to Article in ArchNewsNow.com -
New science building at Arizona State University

Here's one photo, there are more in article -

http://www.archnewsnow.com/features/images/Feature0206_02x.jpg
photo credit - Timothy Hursley

quote of the beginning of the article -

New Frontiers in Science and Design: ASU Biodesign Institute by Gould Evans and Lord, Aeck & Sargent

Tempe, Arizona: When architects were asked to be as innovative and hi-tech as their client, collaborative team expertise delivered the vision.

By ArchNewsNow
September 20, 2006

Form and function are the calculus of every architectural project. But rarely has that mandate provided challenges as demanding as the construction of the Biodesign Institute at Arizona State University in Tempe. Bordering on Phoenix, ASU is the fourth largest university in the U.S.

The Institute, a state-of-the art research facility, creates a structural nucleus for the interactive convergence of the most advanced contemporary sciences. It serves as a catalyst for collaboration between the historically disparate disciplines of chemistry, biology, physics, and engineering. The first 13 research centers represent this spectrum and include applied nanobioscience, bioelectronics, infectious diseases, and environmental biotechnology.

The Design Assignment

The vision presented by ASU President Michael Crow was determinant and specific in detail. Design elements must create a dynamic setting of openness and easy access to "encourage intellectual fusion." It should utilize natural light, provide views from all workspaces, and the infrastructure should be flexible to respond to unforeseen changes in biotech. Visually it must relate to the campus architecture and be "inspiring to occupants as well as the community." Additionally, the Institute should express its ecological focus with green strategies applied to materials, water, and energy conservation.

Beyond these strictures were exacting technological specifications. Because of the sensitivity of the equipment and experimentation, a vibration-free environment shielded from electromagnetic interference (EMI) was essential. A failsafe security system must protect equipment and experiments from unauthorized intrusion.

The architectural firms of Gould Evans and Lord, Aeck & Sargent have translated the vision into a form that functions.

end/quote (rest of the article tells how....)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,566 • Replies: 8
No top replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 12:21 pm
It looks like an airport terminal (from the other pics). This one you selected just looks rather like a square brick.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 12:36 pm
True.

My own interest is in the concept of transparency between labs as a consideration for the people in the labs. I worked for years in rather more old fashioned lab settings.. and am wondering if it really does foster more communication...
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 12:42 pm
Or maybe it fosters SSH-ing into work! I like my privacy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 01:18 pm
I remember at least partly a culture of us versus them going on, a certain competitive fervor not only with people at other places working on similar ideas, but with people down the hall within the same department jousting for position - at the same time people did do some projects together.

But maybe that's what this is all about, counteracting that culture.
That all looks a little too transparent to me - any armpit scratching (etc.) seen by all..
Also, I feel if one were trying to write a report or paper, tearing one's hair, it would be like doing it on a movie screen.

Well, those are first thoughts; I haven't been around labs for 25 years.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 01:22 pm
What is it that you used to do in them, osso?
makpeeter

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2014 12:54 am
@stuh505,
To develop the ability of self-assessment and motivate others in achieving organizational objectives.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 06:56 pm
Can pictures of the other sides of the building be posted?

Another request. The front of this building, is facing North, South, East, West?

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 07:06 pm
@carloslebaron,
I don't remember, as I posted this years ago now. Just click on the link in my opening post and you will find more photos.
0 Replies