Nazi guard woman married Jew; now deported

Miller

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 04:42 am
Nazi guard woman married Jew; now deported

By DEMIAN BULWA
September 19, 2006

Those who knew Elfriede Rinkel never found it remarkable that the German immigrant married a Jewish survivor of the Holocaust, or attended synagogue with him, or planned to be buried next to him at a cemetery run by a Jewish burial society.

This week, though, came a jarring twist: The Justice Department said the 84-year-old Rinkel had been deported to Germany, nearly half a century after she emigrated to the United States, because she had been a guard at a Nazi concentration camp in World War II where an estimated 90,000 people, many of them Jews, were exterminated.

"I think it may have been a type of atonement for her," her attorney, Alison Dixon, said of Elfriede's marriage to Fred Rinkel, who died two years ago. "My understanding is that she has also contributed to Jewish charities."

Dixon said Rinkel never told her husband that she had spent nearly a year as a guard at the Ravensbruck concentration camp in Germany, the only major Nazi camp for women.

She might not have told anyone in the United States - including her brother and his wife, who dropped her off at San Francisco International Airport on Aug. 31. Rinkel told them she was returning to Germany because she was having problems with her apartment in San Francisco. It wasn't until Tuesday that the couple learned the truth from reporters.

"I just don't have any words," said Rinkel's brother, an 82-year-old Berkeley resident who asked that his name be withheld because he is afraid of a possible backlash. "I don't have any feelings anymore. Life has given me too many things. I cannot accept it, let's just put it that way."

The government said Rinkel, a permanent resident alien who never applied for U.S. citizenship, had admitted after a two-year investigation that she had guarded female prisoners at Ravensbruck from June 1944 to April 1945, when the Nazis abandoned the camp to the advancing Allies. She now lives with her younger sister in the German city of Viersen, her brother said.

Rinkel is the first woman prosecuted by the Justice Department's Office of Special Investigations, which was formed in 1979.

Eli Rosenbaum, director of the office, would not say how the government found out about Rinkel. But he said, "She was an integral part of the machinery of destruction and persecution at Ravensbruck."

Rinkel's brother said he fought in the German army and was captured by U.S. forces in North Africa, and as a result he was in a prisoner-of-war camp in Wyoming when his sister allegedly worked at Ravensbruck. He immigrated to America in 1950 and nine years later petitioned for his sister to join him.

Rinkel soon met her future husband at an event for German Americans.

Fred Rinkel, who grew up in a prominent family in Berlin, fled Germany with a brother as Nazi persecution of the Jews spread. He had trained to be an opera tenor in Germany, but after making his way to San Francisco he settled on a job as a singing waiter. Elfriede Rinkel worked as a furrier.

Fred Rinkel died of a heart attack Jan. 21, 2004, and was buried at the Eternal Home Cemetery in Colma, Calif. Elfriede Rinkel planned to be buried beside him, the cemetery said. It's not clear now whether that will still happen, although under an agreement with the Justice Department, she can be buried on U.S. soil.

(www.scrippsnews.com.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,475 • Replies: 17
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 04:52 pm
I am sure that was not her career choice. She was probably forced to work there as so many were. We don't know the whole story.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:14 pm
From her age she was 18 years old in 1940. The camps were built late in the war so they were created probably from 1943 as Anne Frank was taken in during 1944. So Rinkel would be just 21 in 1943. Someone so young would hardly know too much. Look at some 21-year-olds, do you feel they know anything?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 08:03 am
talk72000 wrote:
From her age she was 18 years old in 1940. The camps were built late in the war so they were created probably from 1943 as Anne Frank was taken in during 1944. So Rinkel would be just 21 in 1943. Someone so young would hardly know too much. Look at some 21-year-olds, do you feel they know anything?

At age 21, an individual does know the difference between right and wrong. They know that humans are not supposed to be treated as if they were either dogs or cattle.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 08:28 am
It's possible that she was forced to work there and that she did not actually committ any attrocities herself.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 05:53 pm
I'm related to a number of holocaust victims and I feel they should have left her alone. Like Nick says, at such a young age it is doubtful she was given much of a choice or had much power. There was little a young woman could do to stop the Nazi machine that was soundly in place by the time she was put into her job. She also seems to have spent the majority of her life making ammends. I see no gain or justice in deporting her.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:08 am
If she had been honest with her husband, wouldn't she have confessed to being a Nazi? She was a liar, through and through as she didn't even confess to her family that she had been deproted form Germany.

The US was right to deport her.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 10:02 pm
She didn't want to ruin her marriage. After all she did marry a Jew. If she had any hatred or Nazi feelings it would have come out in one way or another. It is obvious she didn't as her husband didn't detect it all his life. Since she married a Jew and went to the synagogue she is Jewish as far as I am concerned.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 11:08 am
talk72000 wrote:
Since she married a Jew and went to the synagogue she is Jewish as far as I am concerned.

There was no published evidence that the Nazi had converted to Judaism. Therefore, she wasn't a Jew, and why she thought she could be buried in a Jewish cemetary, next to her Jewish husband, is well beyond me. I've never known a Jewish cemetary that would permit such a terrible thing to happen.

Confused
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:40 pm
Code:
Elfriede Rinkel, the German immigrant, married a Jewish survivor of the Holocaust

Wonder if it was in the same camp that they met thus making it a non issue. Could be she might have helped him with goodies.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:46 pm
It's beyond absurd to feel sympathy for this woman. She was a camp guard and thus participated by design, implicitly if not expressly, in the deaths of thousands. Good riddance and, if there is a hell, I hope this SS thug rots there.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 06:26 am
talk72000 wrote:
Code:
Elfriede Rinkel, the German immigrant, married a Jewish survivor of the Holocaust

Wonder if it was in the same camp that they met thus making it a non issue. Could be she might have helped him with goodies.

She was a guard in a camp that was 100% female.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 06:43 am
I would need a lot more information before I could make a judgement. As someone had pointed out, she was a barely out of adolescence when she became a guard at the camp. There is no way of knowing whether she was instrumental in the perpetration of any atrocities.

I think that some people have knee jerk reactions when it comes to any aspect of the holocaust, and I can certainly understand it. I am leery though, of painting with too broad a brush. I think that I do not know enough about her case to make a judgment. We don't even know if her husband knew about her participation as a guard.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 06:50 am
http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,438234,00.html

Quote:
Rinkel told US officials that she'd worked in a factory before taking the job as a dog handler and simply wanted a better wage. The job of most dog handlers was to patrol the camp perimeter with a German shepherd and make sure the prisoners did their work.

According to what I have read, she was not a member of the Nazi party.

I am certainly not defending what she did. But I think, that unless we know all of the facts, that it is inappropriate to rush to judgement!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 09:41 am
Enough was know about her to warrant deportation from the USA.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 10:28 am
There may come a time when US soldiers will be judged harshly for serving in Iraq and all those responsible for the war will be held accountable.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 09:11 pm
The last time I checked, PLENTY of atrocities were committed by "good" Germans who were not members of the Nazi party.

A murderer-- or an accomplice to murder, depending on her degree of complicity-- doesn't become more entitled to sympathy, however misguided, just because they get old without being caught.
0 Replies

Americanadian

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 09:27 pm
I find it rather astonishing that people react so quickly to anything pertaining to the Nazi Holocaust. There have been many other genocides that were so horrific, the Nazi Holocaust palls in comparison. Yet, due to the spotlight on the supposed "uniqueness" of the Nazi Holocaust, we are led to believe that it is somehow more horrific, or more catastrophic than any other genocide in the history of the planet.

Genocide is not acceptable by any means. All genocide is immoral, abject and reprehensible.
0 Replies